• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What are the pros and cons of Steamboat Springs vs Crested Butte?

• Family trip, don't care about nightlife or shopping.
  • Late February (the days following Presidents' Day)
  • Don't ski any extreme terrain, just want nice blue-blacks and blacks, moguls, tree skiing,the best chance of powder, fun terrain with rollers, lips and gullies etc. to play in, etc.

Last edited:

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
If you just want nice blues and black and fun rolling terrain I would personally go with Steamboat, as long as it gets good snow. Crested Butte imho has great steeps terrain and does have what you want but I think Steamboat has more to offer in that area, as well as more reliable snow coverage. As I said, though, that depends on how the snow falls as Crested Butte and Steamboat tend to get different storm systems so if one has an epic season the other may not necessarily.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes Steamboat. The easiest tree skiing around, and lots of rolling wide trails too.

I'll be there about a week after you (end of Feb, beginning of March).

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
What every else said, plus Steamboat is a comfortable elevation. I'm going to Crested Butte this year, but I'm getting oxygen.

dm

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What every else said, plus Steamboat is a comfortable elevation. I'm going to Crested Butte this year, but I'm getting oxygen.

dm

Well, we will be coming from a week at Copper Mountain so I'd hope we would be well acclimatized to altitude by then.

We have a MAXX pass needing to be used...

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Well, we will be coming from a week at Copper Mountain so I'd hope we would be well acclimatized to altitude by then.
It takes months to acclimatize. After a few weeks sluggish just feels normal.

dm

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like there is a unanimous recomendatiaction for Steamboat, so the ‘Boat it is. Actuality be hitting this first then Copper afterwards.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What are the pros and cons of Steamboat Springs vs Crested Butte?

• Family trip, don't care about nightlife or shopping. Either
  • Late February (the days following Presidents' Day) Steamboat (best chance of good snow)
  • Don't ski any extreme terrain, just want nice blue-blacks and blacks, moguls, tree skiing,the best chance of powder, fun terrain with rollers, lips and gullies etc. to play in, etc. Steamboat (The Butte is about the GNAR, mostly)