• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
http://crestedbuttenews.com/2019/06/usfs-publishes-final-approval-for-teo-2-expansion-project/

Approval is a big deal but no timeline yet. I hope Vail is able to move forward with this rapidly. I love Crested Butte but have often scratched it due when traveling with non-expert skiers. This expansion is a game changer in that regard by opening up another 1-2 lifts of blue and single black terrain. The picture below is a good summary of what's proposed (some details are likely to change)

Proposed-CBMR-Ski-area-expansion-2015.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Will it really be a game changer?
Probably building an airport is the only way to change that game.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Locals are gonna be pissed athe realigned north face lift when it happens. Means that the north face will be tracked way faster to the point of being bumped out.

That does look like an excellent pod of skiing to be created though -- nice fall line, nice vertical, nice aspect.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I'm just seeing this on my phone so harder to look at the full map. But from what I can see, the big game changer is the easier access to the north face area.

Interesting to hear from locals, but I think they will be psyched by the easier access of the North face area, much of which you'll now be able to lap. You'd still need to know where you're going in this area geared toward experts so I don't see locals angry about it getting bumped out, etc. Also access to areas that previously required hiking. But again, those areas in the North face, you really have to know what you're doing so I don't expect a big uproar/worry about crowds.

I also don't see how this is a game changer for intermediates at all. A few more blue trails, but the real game changer seems to be toward advanced/expert skiers as I see it. My guess is locals will almost overwhelmingly approve. Any locals care to comment?

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Will it really be a game changer?
Probably building an airport is the only way to change that game.
There is an airport in Gunnison that's pretty close. CB will never be crazy busy being remote but that's a good thing too.

Locals are gonna be pissed athe realigned north face lift when it happens. Means that the north face will be tracked way faster to the point of being bumped out.
A lot of the north face will still require 2 lifts to ski (not 3 like today) so I don't think it will be too bad. And all of this assumes they upgrade north face right away which I suspect is the lowest priority.

I also don't see how this is a game changer for intermediates at all. A few more blue trails, but the real game changer seems to be toward advanced/expert skiers as I see it.
CB is fairly small and has a low % of blue runs. This expansion increases blue acreage by about 25%. It also add a lot of advanced runs. So it's not a blue paradise by any means but it helps significantly.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I a local? Maybe, but I do know a lot of locals, two that Wasatchman met last ski season, As to more blue runs looks as if Teo II will add at least a couple of new blues, and pretty long ones. Other existing blues will have increased snow making which will help get them running earlier in the season, see Black Eagle. Lapping the North Face will be easier, two lift rides rather than three, and it could bump up sooner, but since it is ungroomable it doesn't take long for much of it to be soft bumps all the time. A really great improvement would be the addition of two lifts back in the Teo II sector. As there are no lifts there now, skiers must climb out, and it takes awhile, no problem for a lot of locals. If the Teo II lifts go in you can lap there without returning to the base area and riding the Silver Queen and the High Lift T-bar. Whether it's the North Face or Teo II, more and easier access will be either good or bad depending on ones opinion.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Say what you want about Vail and there is a lot of valid criticism, but I think they are doing right by Crested Butte. Employees I spoke to last winter were overwhelmingly happier under the new Vail ownership.

And I had heard they were going to take their time figuring new lifts before just doing anything. I'd like to hear other's opinions that know CB much better than I do and locals such as @Jack skis, but this proposal looks good to me.

I think Vail's vision for Crested Butte is to really cater to the ski enthusiast that values advanced terrain while offering up significantly less crowds than AltaBird, Jackson Hole, Whistler, and Squaw.

Let's see, but so far Vail seems to be doing right by Crested Butte.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Going from three lifts down to two for NF laps is definitely an improvement I doubt many will complain about. It would’ve even been cooler if it was one.

The expansion doesn’t really add that much more intermediate terrain but it’s something.

If you’re an expert crested butte is an incredible mountain but it’s always lacked on good cruising terrain. The mountain is either vertical or mostly flat, low angle green terrain. It is what makes the place so special though and the town is a classic Colorado old mining town turned into a ski town. I used to visit there in its hay days during the 90’s and it will always remain one of my favorite ski towns.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Giving credit where credit is due, the improvements in this project were first submitted to the USFS in 2015, years before Vail came along. I think if any organization could make the plan come true, it's Vail. The new or improved lifts would be great, the increase in snowmaking would be just as good for the area.

Sponsor

Staff online