• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I was at Congaree National Park in South Carolina earlier this year and learned about the feral pigs there. They have tested some of the pigs and found as many as 75 diseases in them. The meat is not used when pigs there are killed.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
We were camping with our neighbors in Island Park a couple of weeks ago. She was walking her dogs around the campground loop and a female moose came out of the willows head down and feet flailing at them less than 30 yards from where their trailer was parked. She ran behind a tree and called her dogs back and came and told me about the attack. She thought maybe it was a bull but wasn't sure because it happened so fast. We looked over towards where it happened and saw a shape through the trees so I went to investigate and found them. I guess Momma Moose didn't like two dogs getting near baby moose.
IMG_4239.jpg

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier

It is getting crazy around here. The Grizzlies have invaded the Gravley Range in force, three attacks in a week. A month or so ago eight cows died up there from eating too much larkspur. For whatever reason, they were left there and it became a smorgsbrod for the bears. I heard the Forest Service counted 17 bears feasting on those cows.

I have been fishing the Ruby for years where the creek drainage the two attacks on the same day happened enters the Ruby, mostly by myself. These attacks were much higher up the drainage but still, don't think I will be fishing that spot alone and without bear spray in the future.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it me or is our news filled with stupid people? :doh:

How does someone get to be 70 years old and not know they should not continuously approach a wild animal for a photo op?

*and this is only the tip of the iceberg with stupid in the news today.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it me or is our news filled with stupid people? :doh:

How does someone get to be 70 years old and not know they should not continuously approach a wild animal for a photo op?

*and this is only the tip of the iceberg with stupid in the news today.
What’s different from the past and now is everyone has a phone with a camera to record the stupidity bring it to the forefront. It always existed, now we have proof.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What’s different from the past and now is everyone has a phone with a camera to record the stupidity bring it to the forefront. It always existed, now we have proof.
If it weren't so tragic that'd be funny.
Aw heck, it is funny.
:roflmao:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
My work during field assignments takes me to remote areas in the oil patch where there are small sheds containing the wellhead for an injection well. Inside the sheds we've found mice (hantavirus potential), black widow and brown recluse spiders, assorted lizards, blow snakes, which resemble rattlesnakes, but I've not encountered a rattlesnake yet in that environment, though I've met others who have. The only thing I've run into that chased us away and made us come back later was a skunk.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Not an animal story but more Selfie stupidity. A skier 2 years ago remembered me from a Blue Knob GTG 15 years ago.

8 years ago he leaned into the Great Scott chute at Snowbird at the top with a camera or phone. Slipped, crashed onto rocks
then crashed to the bottom of the chute !
2 weeks unconscious at the hospital
6 more months to get out of the hospital.

Can ski now at a weak level but is alive.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My work during field assignments takes me to remote areas in the oil patch where there are small sheds containing the wellhead for an injection well. Inside the sheds we've found mice (hantavirus potential), black widow and brown recluse spiders, assorted lizards, blow snakes, which resemble rattlesnakes, but I've not encountered a rattlesnake yet in that environment, though I've met others who have. The only thing I've run into that chased us away and made us come back later was a skunk.
Several years ago we caught 4 baby skunks (mother had been hit by a car and some a-h&@€ painted one of the babies). To answer a couple if questions, yes they are born “loaded”, they are very cute, they do settle down when caught and finally we avoided getting sprayed. (I’ll post a few pics when I find them).

That year, our year and a half old Jack Russell got nail 5 times in two weeks (different skunk). Forget tomate sauce and fancy tricks, use cooking oil (skunk spray is oil based) wet fur with oil, let soak for a moment or two (don’t let dog go or its like catching a greased pig), wash with dish soap. One or two treatment problem solved and dog is squeaky clean.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rattlesnakes, western diamondbacks in particular, are a big issue in the spring at our well sites in W. Texas. Here's an angry one not 25' feet from our truck. Sometimes you have to choose between looking down at the ground for the snakes and bumping your head on overhead equipment, or the reverse-saving your head and risking a bite.
IMG_0079.JPG

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Rattlesnakes, western diamondbacks in particular, are a big issue in the spring at our well sites in W. Texas. Here's an angry one not 25' feet from our truck. Sometimes you have to choose between looking down at the ground for the snakes and bumping your head on overhead equipment, or the reverse-saving your head and risking a bite. View attachment 105758
We've got copperheads all around but it's usually curious pets who get bitten. They're not aggressive and avoid people. But, if you step right on one or too close you will end up in the hospital or worse. I try to remember to make noise and toss stuff around leave piles and stuff before turning over or picking up stuff.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Edit to add: lots of F-Bombs thrown in this one so if you're sensitive to such things...well, you've been warned.

@SkiNurse posted this on FB and I was like... :geek:
A couple things.
  • He evidently saw the cubs which is why he stopped trail running to take a video
  • He didn't see the mama Mt Lion until he found out she was pissed off
  • Why didn't he throw a rock sooner?
  • He was actually pretty smart to not turn his back on her...(I think)

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple things.
  • He evidently saw the cubs which is why he stopped trail running to take a video

I saw that earlier this morning and was also :geek: :geek::geek: I've been riding alone more lately, and now I'm rethinking that. I mean, that cougar was relentless! And yes, I'd have started throwing rocks right away. After I soiled myself :roflmao:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I voted moose because that is the dangerous animal that I have had the most close encounters with and is most likely to create an issue. The California Black Bears around Tahoe are pretty docile & easy to scare away. Sadly, the locals have become numb to the danger of these once wild, powerful creatures & treat them like teddy bears. If I was in grizzly country I’m sure I would feel different. Biting flies and mosquitoes are certainly an annoyance but they are not going to kill me.
I would have voted mountain lions because deep down that is the animal that I really fear the most, mainly because the likelihood of surviving an attack is low and I certainly ride a lot in mountain lion country. The reason I did not choose mountain lions is for the fact that the odds of actually being attacked are extremely unlikely.
I had to go back and see how I voted back when this thread began. After seeing that video a dozen times today, I think I may need to change my vote.

A couple things.

Sponsor

Staff online