• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I think what she meant is that it doesn't have the ability to release the bite, not the venom.
That makes it worse for the person who can't get the head to stop injecting the venom.

Got it... no release on the bite, but still release of the venom. Thanks.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I think what she meant is that it doesn't have the ability to release the bite, not the venom.
That makes it worse for the person who can't get the head to stop injecting the venom.
Correct.

The article and the quote: "A freshly killed snake can still have a bite reflex, even if its head is severed. And when it’s dead, it doesn’t have a release reflex."

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct.

The article and the quote: "A freshly killed snake can still have a bite reflex, even if its head is severed. And when it’s dead, it doesn’t have a release reflex."
So what triggers the bite reflex? Just wondering, since I see lots of dead snakes on the roads when I'm out cycling in the spring and summer. Last summer I saw a guy pulling the rattle off one for "good juju."

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Holy crap! 26 doses of anti-venom! :eek:
From the article:
"A normal person who is going to get bit is going to get two to four doses of antivenom," Sutcliffe told KIII-TV. "He had to have 26 doses."

Yeah, I think that snake got ahead of itself :roflmao:

Come to think of it, I was going to say that the poll is flawed and "lawyer" was missing. But now I know what to do if come across a lawyer and a rattlesnake while hiking :roflmao:

(to be sure, some of my friends and family are lawyers and I love them)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I'm surprised no one voted for farm animal. Last night on my ride with @RachelV

VpGgpdU.jpg

Oh, look some cows! Wow, they're pretty close!

Later on in the ride:

Uhm, guys would you mind mooving? (they were actually not too terrifying, I used to work with cattle in college and they were much more chill than most beef cattle I've dealt with so just kind of stood there while we made our way through).

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I have never walked through that many cows, so close. The video doesn’t do it justice! I think if I’d been alone without @kimmyt ’s cow experience I would have ridden back the other way. :)

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well someone wrote stray dogs.. In the late 70's when I was maybe 11 or 12, my twin brother Rennie and I used to train in Central Park in the early morning hours before school started. He and I bicycle raced for most of childhood and up until just a few years ago. One morning, about 7AM while on the North end of Central Park, my twin spotted a pack of dogs flanking us as we approached the 110th hill. We then decided that we better start sprinting up the hill as they were for sure hunting us. As we sprinted the dogs about 20, came onto the roadway (since it was closed to traffic) to maybe run faster than on the dirt beside us, nearing the top, the dogs still pursuing us, we knew once we got over the top, the dogs would not keep up on our descent. Rennie and I were good at descending .... As we crested, we took a sigh of relief, only to see another pack of 20 or so dogs on our right coming down the hillside to the roadway, we sprinted again, passing them! The 1st pack of dogs was still in pursuit, and then came across the 2nd pack of dogs - which then became an all out DOG BATTLE. The dogs were NO longer interested in us. As the dogs battled each other, Rennie and I looked at each other and said, time to get home.

NYC in the 70's and 80's was a WILD place. Crazy thing is, we are both still here, though NYC is not nearly as crazy anymore.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I get coyotes up close and personal every day and rattlesnakes in the yard at least once a season. Both are no joke. When my son was a toddler, I trained our GSD to go nuts when she saw a coyote. The pups would prance up to the wrought iron fence all cute and wiggly. I was afraid my son would think they were friendly and reach for one. It’s why I’ve never put in a doggy door. A coyote chased my neighbor’s lab inside through the doggy door and mauled him inside the house. A rare thing for sure- but once was enough to convince me.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was chased by a dog while on my bike in remote Napa County. Luckily I was going downhill. Unfortunately the road dead-ended at Lake Berryessa, and the only way back out of there (and past the property the dog was guarding) would be uphill. I had to call Animal Services and wait for them to get the dog's owners to keep the dog on their property.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Someone mocked me for putting farm animals in the poll, but THIS is why.
I encountered cows on a mt bike ride when I lived in Michigan, though it wasn't that scary for me because I grew up around them.
For someone who has no experience, I'm guessing it can be terrifying.
And yet, there still is no vote for farm animals, which means that @RachelV wasn't terrible scared.

I'm surprised no one voted for farm animal. Last night on my ride with @RachelV

VpGgpdU.jpg

Oh, look some cows! Wow, they're pretty close!

Later on in the ride:

Uhm, guys would you mind mooving? (they were actually not too terrifying, I used to work with cattle in college and they were much more chill than most beef cattle I've dealt with so just kind of stood there while we made our way through).

I have never walked through that many cows, so close. The video doesn’t do it justice! I think if I’d been alone without @kimmyt ’s cow experience I would have ridden back the other way. :)

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Well, given the choice of cows and mountain lions, I'm sure a lot more scared of the lion.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Someone mocked me for putting farm animals in the poll, but THIS is why.
I encountered cows on a mt bike ride when I lived in Michigan, though it wasn't that scary for me because I grew up around them.
For someone who has no experience, I'm guessing it can be terrifying.
And yet, there still is no vote for farm animals, which means that @RachelV wasn't terrible scared.

They can certainly get vicious:

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/sep/06/local/me-cows6

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Cows can be territorial. Seen milk cows run buck deer out of their pasture. Go on get.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Chief and I just ran into this guy on our walk. I had a felling he was around for a wile before I ran into him. The trail behind my house we usually take is a 2 mile lollipop loop so I kept hearing something from the other side of the creek. The dog saw him first and stopped dead in his tracks so I could tell it was a bear.

Guessing the bush he was thrashing around in was some kind of spring berry since he was mowing down on it, hence the noise. Was interesting because I run into bear a lot this time of year but it's usually somehow related to garbage scavenging or just moving from place to place. I stopped and watched him for probably a minute before he saw me while he made a meal of that bush. Definitely cool to witness him eating in his element. A 300lb bear must eat a lot of berries

Sponsor

Staff online