• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
This was a couple years back. 85 year old woman had been feeding the bears: https://www.inforum.com/news/accide...d-montana-woman-killed-rare-black-bear-attack

There was an article in the paper a few years back that talked about the Tahoe community and living with bear as the come closer and become more accustomed to people and living off garbage. One of the statistics they stated was that about 1/2 of the bear attacks in the US involved people feeding the Bears weather it be wild bear around their house or captive like in the zoo or as pets.

I like to joke black bear are like big chocolate labs because of their disposition. But, if you've ever raised a large dog (especially a food driven lab) you know how hard you have to work on training them not to jump up on you, especially well feeding or giving treats. This is where people go wrong with feeding bears. Its a wild animal that (around here) weighs 250-400 pounds. It may seem docile but it is food driven and the outcome of it "jumping up on you" even if it's not vicious by nature has devastating results!!

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sasquatch is only thing that worries me, but you can smell them far off. I carry a pistol on my side when in the woods so not to worried about much really.

CE410484-538C-4721-88BD-6879D66748D1.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was skiing at Wintergreen, VA about a week after Groundhog Day 2013 and a big fat southern cousin of Punxsutawney Phil ran across the slope right in front of me. I could have gotten a real close-up, but it took me a moment to pull out my camera.

1360892999_pic5.jpg
1603213038593.png

PS: he saw his shadow, more winter that year.

Last edited:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Holy crap! 26 doses of anti-venom!
Just reading about rattlesnakes this week. As I understood the article, the decapitated head will still have the instinct and ability to bite, but does not have the ability to release.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The human/wildlife interactions seem to be more frequent. Crazy!

James

Out There
Instructor
Just the usual idiots getting too close to an emormous wild animal. Surprising it on a trail is different.

People are thinking this is like an amusement park with a petting zoo. In some ways it's the park's fault just having a road through wild animals gives a sense of that. Maybe you should be required to watch goring films before entering.

Quote from the article:
-------------------------
The National Park Service (NPS) advises visitors should never be less than 25 yards from most wildlife. Predators like wolves and bears require greater caution and a minimum distance of 100 yards. The NPS rule of thumb is, "If you cause an animal to move, you're too close," noting that it is "illegal to willfully remain near or approach wildlife, including birds, within any distance that disturbs or displaces the animal."
---------------------------

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Just reading about rattlesnakes this week. As I understood the article, the decapitated head will still have the instinct and ability to bite, but does not have the ability to release.

@VickieH, this seems in conflict with the assertion in the article. Could you post a link to where you got your information?

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
As someone who has worked with animals, wild and domesticated, almost my entire life, I am always shocked at how close people will get to wild animals without a thought. When I was in Thailand people would be approaching the monkeys. These are wild monkeys, people! With canines the size of my pinky finger! It floored me.

I'm reading a really good book right now, called 'The Animal Dialogues' by Craig Child. Its all short stories of his various encounters with wild animals. Not only are some of the chapters terrifying (one in particular where he encounters a mountain lion is jaw dropping), but the way he writes about how he tries to make as little impact on the animals with his presence as possible are really incredible. Its a really good read, I highly recommend it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@VickieH, this seems in conflict with the assertion in the article. Could you post a link to where you got your information?
I think what she meant is that it doesn't have the ability to release the bite, not the venom.
That makes it worse for the person who can't get the head to stop injecting the venom.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Just the usual idiots getting too close to an emormous wild animal. Surprising it on a trail is different.

People are thinking this is like an amusement park with a petting zoo. In some ways it's the park's fault just having a road through wild animals gives a sense of that. Maybe you should be required to watch goring films before entering.

Quote from the article:
-------------------------
The National Park Service (NPS) advises visitors should never be less than 25 yards from most wildlife. Predators like wolves and bears require greater caution and a minimum distance of 100 yards. The NPS rule of thumb is, "If you cause an animal to move, you're too close," noting that it is "illegal to willfully remain near or approach wildlife, including birds, within any distance that disturbs or displaces the animal."
---------------------------

Education and a good healthy respect for nature would go a long way.

Unfortunately, that could be in direct violation of American's inalienable right to be as clueless and ignorant as they want.

Sponsor