• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
From his comments about throwing a rock earlier.

"yes, I was finally able to grab a rock. Every other time I looked for a rock or looked away she pounced "

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

"yes, I was finally able to grab a rock. Every other time I looked for a rock or looked away she pounced "

And one of the other suggestions is to avoid crouching or bending, so that is understandable.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I use my sherlock holmes skills, I could almost maybe deduce that he has at least 1 throwable object already in his hand. But I suppose throwing away his precious would be the same as dying. (or could just kick some rocks). But yea it's a tough ask, how do you get a rock without bending over or crouching and nps talks about it a little bit, so that's an ok response and result.

Funniest thing, if you look closely at the very beginning, the clueless kitten that lagging behind in the middle, runs towards the human almost to play, while its the back kitten that spotted the human that runs to tell the mom. Mountain lions have dumb kids and responsible kids just like us.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
20151117__20151118_A14_BZ18SNOWBOARDINGp1.jpg

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotcha, but the people that came up in my encounter did exactly as I described down to the "oh so cute". I had to tell them don't get closer; so this is a real typical reaction; I didn't imagine it up from thin air. ogsmile

Yes. I have seen people get down on their knees next to a seal at the beach and try for a head to head selfie with a wild animal! There is no fixing stupid.

That's what I thought was going on. I don't understand why he didn't throw his phone at her or kick a bunch of loose rocks at her. My guess is he was too terrified to think.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes. I have seen people get down on their knees next to a seal at the beach and try for a head to head selfie with a wild animal! There is no fixing stupid.

That's what I thought was going on. I don't understand why he didn't throw his phone at her or kick a bunch of loose rocks at her. My guess is he was too terrified to think.
No actually, he seemed very calm and collectedly stupid, as in this will make a good video for YouTube so I can't throw the phone to keep myself out of harms way type STUPID. Attempted Darwin contestant.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Anyone know if the mountain lion's pouncing movement is bluffing or the way they actually attack prey? Not that I'd want to be on the receiving end of the bluff.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Anyone know if the mountain lion's pouncing movement is bluffing or the way they actually attack prey? Not that I'd want to be on the receiving end of the bluff.

Yes, that pouncing movement with open paws stretching outward was interesting looking. The cat knew those paws would not reach the human; she was showing him what she could do if she chose to. Her motions were warnings. She could have charged and the kid would not have had a chance of living through the attack. It appears mom wanted him far away from her babies, but didn't want to go to the trouble of killing him.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I can't say it with any authority to back me up, but it looked to me like dealer's choice; the cat could turn it into a real charge or a bluff depending on the prey's reaction. You ain't gonna out run it so best reaction is not to back down. I would stand my ground, with attitude. Yeah, I know, talk is cheap. Maybe next time you're out in the woods bring a weapon (and believe you can use it effectively to boost your bluff).

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
could almost maybe deduce that he has at least 1 throwable object already in his hand.
I thought that while I was watching the first time. “why doesn’t he throw the dang phone!“ The only problem with that is if he is attacked and somehow manages to survive that phone may be his only lifeline to get someone to come to his rescue. I doubt if he was thinking about any of that but I also doubt that he was thinking getting this video is the most important thing right now.

I have been bluff charged by a black bear before & it looked similar to what we see here. The difference is my bear bluffed and then made a sharp turn and ran away. In the case of this cat it looks like a bluff could easily turn into an attack.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Maybe next time you're out in the woods bring a weapon (and believe you can use it effectively to boost your bluff).
There was one point in the video where he says to himself “where‘s my gun”.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
She could have charged and the kid would not have had a chance of living through the attack
Well.... some chance... Per Wikipedia, there have been 125 documented attacks in the last 100 years, and 27 have been fatal.

Then there's this, though accounts I've seen refer to a "juvenile" mountain lion, so I don't know how big it was:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
She stayed with him so long I was wondering if there was something wrong with her. That doesn't seem normal for a critter to spend 5 or 6 minutes without attacking or turning tail.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She stayed with him so long I was wondering if there was something wrong with her. That doesn't seem normal for a critter to spend 5 or 6 minutes without attacking or turning tail.
And got a significant distance from her kittens.