• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creating a skiing video series. Would love some community feedback! :)

TS
K

KeithAndLindsey

Booting up
Skier
@KeithAndLindsey - My two cents...

- I agree with the GoPro comments...POV for short time frames are good, but clips that are too long can get a bit monotonous.
- You don’t need a huge film crew to change things up, take out your phone occasionally or take the GoPro off to take video and mix in other types of shots (Use a pole mount for selfie stick?).
- Maybe vary the GoPro frames. Not sure what GoPro you're using but most of them allow you to set to "wide", "medium" or "narrow"
- Face the camera occasionally...I like to see the face of who's talking.
- Use voice overs occasionally so you can edit out some of the "skiing sounds".
- Try playing with music...sometimes as background and sometimes instead of the commentary.
- Mix up the length of clips more...most of the clips seem to be 10+ seconds long...IMHO, that's a long time...it's fine for when you're describing something or commentating. But mix in series of short 2-4 second clips.
- More whoops, hollers and excitement is wanted (for me)...I know this isn't a stoke video, but I still feel like you should leave your audience stoked...even if it's just excited for your next video.

All really helpful feedback! Much appreciated and we will try to work these suggestions into future videos.

TS
K

KeithAndLindsey

Booting up
Skier
OK, so, why would we want to follow you? I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I really want to know what your intent is, or why YOU vs. the other I don't know how many youtubers out there, or (for me) why not just go do it myself? I mean, I ski the Wasatch already, I bike the Wasatch already, so why would I want to watch videos like this when I just get out there and do it myself? Is your goal just to get youtube hits and earn money, or are you trying to guide and educate somehow, or?? If you want to get a following, you really need to create an image, a personality, something that engages people and people feel connected to.

FWIW I can relate better to the "Average Joe's" out there who aren't hucking cliffs or heli skiing BUT a video needs to entertain and be engaging. So, a unique personality, massive humor, a few crashes, some educating mixed in, and yes, shorter formats.

As to the links above, I would never sit and spend the time to watch that. Unless I get rid of Netflix and books, I suppose. I DO spend the time to watch short instructional videos or funny, entertaining short videos.

Well, you are definitely the exception and not the norm since you live and ski in the same area that I do. There are many people out in the world that live vicariously through other YouTubers. I know I did when I still lived in Indiana and didn't have the chance to ski a real mountain every weekend. I just started mountain biking this year and I watch channels like BKXC to get riding tips and ideas for possible destination rides. I also just enjoy following his journey to become a fulltime mountain biker / YouTuber. As I have said before, I am trying to tell "our story" and get people involved with our adventures. If that is not something that interests you then you don't have to watch it.

We have definitely been trying to work on the humor and personality aspects. It's not as easy to do as one might think while you are skiing down a technical or high-speed run. I actually don't crash that often but when I do I definitely show it. I just had a sweet superman style crash in the woods at Deer Valley (video to be posted soon). That will probably be the teaser at the beginning of the video.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, you are definitely the exception and not the norm since you live and ski in the same area that I do. There are many people out in the world that live vicariously through other YouTubers. I know I did when I still lived in Indiana and didn't have the chance to ski a real mountain every weekend. I just started mountain biking this year and I watch channels like BKXC to get riding tips and ideas for possible destination rides. I also just enjoy following his journey to become a fulltime mountain biker / YouTuber. As I have said before, I am trying to tell "our story" and get people involved with our adventures. If that is not something that interests you then you don't have to watch it.

We have definitely been trying to work on the humor and personality aspects. It's not as easy to do as one might think while you are skiing down a technical or high-speed run. I actually don't crash that often but when I do I definitely show it. I just had a sweet superman style crash in the woods at Deer Valley (video to be posted soon). That will probably be the teaser at the beginning of the video.
I'm not sure that I SHOULDN'T be a target audience. I mean, don't you think if you could entertain someone who already lives here and does the same things, that you would REALLY entertain those who don't? Just a thought. Expand your horizons. Interview some of the amazing bikers and skiers here who have a following already of their own. You really could utilize your newness to these sports by mixing in content from people who've been at it for a very long time, or are experts. Otherwise, to me it would be like following myself around with a video camera.

TS
K

KeithAndLindsey

Booting up
Skier
I'm not sure that I SHOULDN'T be a target audience. I mean, don't you think if you could entertain someone who already lives here and does the same things, that you would REALLY entertain those who don't? Just a thought. Expand your horizons. Interview some of the amazing bikers and skiers here who have a following already of their own. You really could utilize your newness to these sports by mixing in content from people who've been at it for a very long time, or are experts. Otherwise, to me it would be like following myself around with a video camera.

On an unrelated note, we are headed to the Ogden area next weekend to ski Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. We have been to Snowbasin once before (last year) but the snow levels were low and most of the more difficult terrain was closed. This will be our first trip to PowMow and I am really stoked about it. I have heard so many good things about that resort. Any suggestions for good runs, restaurants, etc. to check out? Also, any chance you will be skiing and maybe want to meet up for a couple of laps?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On an unrelated note, we are headed to the Ogden area next weekend to ski Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. We have been to Snowbasin once before (last year) but the snow levels were low and most of the more difficult terrain was closed. This will be our first trip to PowMow and I am really stoked about it. I have heard so many good things about that resort. Any suggestions for good runs, restaurants, etc. to check out? Also, any chance you will be skiing and maybe want to meet up for a couple of laps?
Where are you staying? As is usual for a lot of places, what I recommend as far as skiing goes really depends on what the snow conditions are like. I'm much more familiar with SB than PM. I'd be happy to meet up depending on what day(s). UNLESS I get a wild hair and head north to Targhee :D

TS
K

KeithAndLindsey

Booting up
Skier
Where are you staying? As is usual for a lot of places, what I recommend as far as skiing goes really depends on what the snow conditions are like. I'm much more familiar with SB than PM. I'd be happy to meet up depending on what day(s). UNLESS I get a wild hair and head north to Targhee :D

We will be staying at the Snowberry Inn in Eden, UT and skiing Fri. 2/22 through Sun. 2/24. Not sure which days we will be at which mountain. Kind of depends on the conditions as you mentioned. I am new to PugSki and not sure how best to share contact info or get in contact with you to see if you are able to meet up.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We will be staying at the Snowberry Inn in Eden, UT and skiing Fri. 2/22 through Sun. 2/24. Not sure which days we will be at which mountain. Kind of depends on the conditions as you mentioned. I am new to PugSki and not sure how best to share contact info or get in contact with you to see if you are able to meet up.
My one suggestion is to avoid SB on Saturday. I'd do SB Friday, PM Saturday (get there early or they could sell out) then choose Sunday based on your preference. VERY different mountains. Both are fun in their own way.

Dining in Eden/Huntsville is meh.
I can PM you. You'll get a notification.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you ski midweek at all?
@Philpug @Andy Mink @AmyPJ and I will be there, representing Pugski for the on snow demo

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My one suggestion is to avoid SB on Saturday. I'd do SB Friday, PM Saturday (get there early or they could sell out) then choose Sunday based on your preference. VERY different mountains. Both are fun in their own way.

Dining in Eden/Huntsville is meh.
I can PM you. You'll get a notification.

Isn’t there a Chuck-a-Rama nearby?

TS
K

KeithAndLindsey

Booting up
Skier
Isn’t there a Chuck-a-Rama nearby?

We have never actually been to one of those but we crack up every time we see their commercials. :roflmao:

I mean seriously, who could turn down both Coke and Pepsi products at the same restaurant?!?!? I also hear that they have the best Jello around!

James

Out There
Instructor
You may want to connect with @Alba Adventures ... seems you are doing similar things. Watch their videos, chat with them, share ideas.
They actually got a lot of similar feedback here and on epic. At first it might have been insulting that no one wanted to watch their family ski for 6+ minutes. And said so.
Their vids have greatly improved.

TS
K

KeithAndLindsey

Booting up
Skier
They actually got a lot of similar feedback here and on epic. At first it might have been insulting that no one wanted to watch their family ski for 6+ minutes. And said so.

I checked out @Alba Adventures and I am curious what is going on with their channel. They are definitely going for a more cinematic-style video than we are (currently anyway). Their videos are nice but they have very few views (even compared with my channel) and zero subscribers (maybe they are hiding their subscriber count?) which is very weird for a channel that shoots good quality videos and has uploaded almost 150 videos. I definitely like some of the slow-mo side shots and other aspects of their videos. Thanks for pointing me to them!

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
I checked out @Alba Adventures and I am curious what is going on with their channel. They are definitely going for a more cinematic-style video than we are (currently anyway). Their videos are nice but they have very few views (even compared with my channel) and zero subscribers (maybe they are hiding their subscriber count?) which is very weird for a channel that shoots good quality videos and has uploaded almost 150 videos. I definitely like some of the slow-mo side shots and other aspects of their videos. Thanks for pointing me to them!

Hey Keith and Lindsey - Sorry to be late to the party - we don't have many subscribers on YouTube - and have had more success on Facebook over YouTube -though in the end Youtube is King. You are right, we are trying to go for a more cinematic story and not vlog - it was always the plan though have SO much still to learn - making and producing videos are TOUGH as you know. Story for us is key and we think with our last 2 years of work, certainly we have come to a stride. Even three years ago we have had a few good hits and I would say, that over the last 5 years we have had some that have gotten a few thousand views.

Today we got two videos selected into the same film festival -getting two laurels. That is a first and we hope that we are on the right track.
We agree, building and finding the right audience is hard to do, even on ski platforms with awesome people like PugSki. We are thankful for all the support and advice we have been provided by Phil, Tricia and the entire PugSki crew. We have gone shorter and irony is that those that liked the longer format want us to show more - truth is - you will never make everyone happy. In the end, produce what you want to produce. We have no hopes of anything - though wish we could make a living from these short films we are now producing. In the end, we can always say that we have recorded and edited what we think are beautiful films that involve our kids - from their first days skiing to hopefully adults. Something that most parents can't say.

We have yet to check out your video, though will do tonight. As for YouTube - they tend to promote longer format videos which is why most of the vlogs are 10 minutes or more.

52265917_2297927870425555_7992407274217799680_o.jpg

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks! I think you understand what I am going for with this series. I appreciate the link to this series. It has provided some good content to compare my content with in order to see if there are better ways to edit my content down to keep my story more interesting.

This is true- VLOG channels- are just like this - its quirky and you have to want to produce that kind of content. We opted to not do that - to go more cinematic - that is what we wanted to do from the start - and mix in the vlog so that people can get to know us. Building a community - as mentioned later in this post - tough work. sometimes it just takes connecting the right place to repost your work. Other times, it us outrageous stuff. In the end, it takes work, networking and most importantly - to produce content you are happy with and what you think people will watch. A key thing, audio is key. Make sure that you can hear the subject.

TS
K

KeithAndLindsey

Booting up
Skier
Hey Keith and Lindsey - Sorry to be late to the party - we don't have many subscribers on YouTube - and have had more success on Facebook over YouTube -though in the end Youtube is King. You are right, we are trying to go for a more cinematic story and not vlog - it was always the plan though have SO much still to learn - making and producing videos are TOUGH as you know. Story for us is key and we think with our last 2 years of work, certainly we have come to a stride. Even three years ago we have had a few good hits and I would say, that over the last 5 years we have had some that have gotten a few thousand views.

Today we got two videos selected into the same film festival -getting two laurels. That is a first and we hope that we are on the right track.
We agree, building and finding the right audience is hard to do, even on ski platforms with awesome people like PugSki. We are thankful for all the support and advice we have been provided by Phil, Tricia and the entire PugSki crew. We have gone shorter and irony is that those that liked the longer format want us to show more - truth is - you will never make everyone happy. In the end, produce what you want to produce. We have no hopes of anything - though wish we could make a living from these short films we are now producing. In the end, we can always say that we have recorded and edited what we think are beautiful films that involve our kids - from their first days skiing to hopefully adults. Something that most parents can't say.

We have yet to check out your video, though will do tonight. As for YouTube - they tend to promote longer format videos which is why most of the vlogs are 10 minutes or more.

52265917_2297927870425555_7992407274217799680_o.jpg

Congratulations on having your films selected for the film festival. That's so awesome and must be incredibly exciting for you and your family. I watched several of your YouTube videos and was definitely impressed with the cinematic feel to them. That is not an easy feat to accomplish. It's interesting that you had more success on Facebook. I haven't heard of too many channels thriving on Facebook over YouTube. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and advice. We are just really starting to take our channel seriously and see if we can make something of it. In the end, if nothing else, we will at least have a fun diary of our time and travels in Utah.

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier

Funny - how some actually want more of that now ;)

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
Congratulations on having your films selected for the film festival. That's so awesome and must be incredibly exciting for you and your family. I watched several of your YouTube videos and was definitely impressed with the cinematic feel to them. That is not an easy feat to accomplish. It's interesting that you had more success on Facebook. I haven't heard of too many channels thriving on Facebook over YouTube. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and advice. We are just really starting to take our channel seriously and see if we can make something of it. In the end, if nothing else, we will at least have a fun diary of our time and travels in Utah.

Thanks! Oh they both won awards!

Sponsor