Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
Pugski Ski Tester
Contributor
Dear Puggers

As we go through the current Coronavirus pandemic, it strikes as an opportunity, and perhaps a moral obligation, to show compassion, solidarity and kindness to others. There are several fantastic posts with great info throughout our site, and everywhere in the net. Let me KISS:
Putting these two together is hard in general, since social distancing affects the economy, particularly smaller businesses. So, what can we do? I don't know, I am looking for ideas. But I just bough an annual subscription to Open Snow extended forecasting. Maybe it helps a bit? BA's latest Tahoe post is moving.

I would encourage all of us to go buy stuff online. Did we have a pair of skis in mind? Let's just order from some shop. They will be shipped. Helmets? Jackets? Go for it. Pugski store? Grab the goodies. I understand that it is probably more economical to wait until those stores layoff people and perhaps liquidate some of their stock. But the whole point is to avoid those layoffs.

So, how about we come together. Post here your ideas for support, and your purchases.

Together we are stronger.

Last edited:

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife shared a FB post suggesting that neighbors check if your elderly neighbor needed some shopping done. She got three messages asking what she needed. ogsmile I just bought 3 boxes of disposable gloves at NAPA to wear when I do my own shopping.

On the idea the OP suggested I'd agree. My local ski shop is sure to take a big hit as the skii areas closed today and a big part of the shops income was guided foreign trips. OTOH sales of ski touring gear to play on the closed ski area should be up.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

old n' slow
Skier
Home in Spokalou for the foreseeable future
Buy your 20-21 pass now. A lot of smaller areas are going to need the cash flow to make it with loosing their Spring season.

On a personal note, consider holding on to your cash, not saying don't spend. We normally over pay our house payment $400/month; that stuff is done till we see some daylight on this situation.

On a local note. Over purchase on food staples and be ready to help a neighbor in need. It is a fact that only 40% of Americans can withstand a one time $1,000 unforeseen expense, and things are shaping up to be a lot worse than that. The young and the old will be the ones in the worst fix. This is not going to be a bull or bear market, it is going to be a shark market; be a dolphin.

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lack of snow here (like zero for the season) and warm temps was ultimately what did us in regardless the virus situation. None the less my boy and I hit the the slopes yesterday. Bought new goggles while there. Going to buy another pair on line.

I feel bad for small businesses too but honestly my 401k (life savings over 25 year of donations) is getting destroyed and Im not seeing anyone donate to my family nor give me any economic favors to help me. We need to keep products moving.

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
You moved two pair of goggles. Every bit helps. Let me know if you need help with your 401. Think I have some loose change lying around. ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame started a Go Fund Me page. With the postponement of the Induction Ceremony that was supposed to happen at the end of March, they are in desparate need of help to just cover operation costs.

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Check on elderly neighbors. Offer to go shopping for them so they can stay safe at home. Don't forget to get food for their pets too.
If you do assist, make sure you drop off any groceries or supplies outside the door and maintain your distance. I know of very few elderly people that won't want to invite you in for a cup of tea or something to thank you, but you must make sure you keep your distance to keep them safe! Don't carry the groceries into the house. Don't shake hands or give them a hug. Death rates for this are WAAAY too high in elderly/compromised people.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I mean, I love this idea but I’m kind of concerned about losing one or both of my household incomes if this drags on. I can’t eat skis or season passes. This is the paradox of thrift. Too many people thinking like me and it makes the recession all that much more likely / worse. But even though I know about that, I’m hesitant to spend.

Ski&ride

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can’t eat skis or season passes.

I’m hesitant to spend.
While I was skiing, it’s easier to justify spending on what I WANT. Even though I already started to have doubts on whether I’ll have a job by the end of THIS season.

But once the lift closed, reality sinks in. I hesitate to spend even on what I NEED, till after summer.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
I thought my quiver was set / happy at the start of this season with little intention to change. But looks like my quiver will do a complete turnover -> for the sake if rejigging my widths and the novelty of trying something else .

I took advantage of some great deals in Phil's Garage, at my local Buy & Sell, and very recently new skis from both a US & a Canadian retailer. Now is the time to buy as you wont get 40% off at the start of next season. You do both yourself and your retailer a favour -> it's Win-Win ! And when you buy something from Phil's Garage, that seller is already probably eyeing up a replacement to fill that void.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
While I was skiing, it’s easier to justify spending on what I WANT. Even though I already started to have doubts on whether I’ll have a job by the end of THIS season.

But once the lift closed, reality sinks in. I hesitate to spend even on what I NEED, till after summer.
:(
I get it.

martyg

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Fortunately, we are at the end of the season. Most stores have been offering deep discounts already, and their margin is mostly zero.

Wilhelmson

Out on the slopes
Skier
I mean, I love this idea but I’m kind of concerned about losing one or both of my household incomes if this drags on. I can’t eat skis or season passes. This is the paradox of thrift. Too many people thinking like me and it makes the recession all that much more likely / worse. But even though I know about that, I’m hesitant to spend.
Yes, we're in pretty good shape, but it is a time to be cautious. Although we did buy our passes for next year.

GregK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just ordered a pair of 184cm Kendo 88 with Attacks for next years daily driver as they are on for 40% off with free binding install and free shipping. Next years local season pass this week and Ikon Pass before the end of April so I’m trying to do my part!