• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crazy Dad or Crazy Cool?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Regardless of that guy's choices, honestly, I have never fallen on my bike while riding my bike. Superman style, sure, plenty.
It doesn't matter which way you fall if you have a baby on your back. Its not likely to end well.

Like you, I've never fallen backwards that I can recall, and have never had a camelback mishap.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It doesn't matter which way you fall if you have a baby on your back. Its not likely to end well.

Agreed. Just an observation. I don't think falling on your back is common (except for @scott43 , apparently!)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Regardless of that guy's choices, honestly, I have never fallen on my bike while riding my bike. Superman style, sure, plenty.
You're not trying hard enough.. :D Over the handlebars, off the side-hill cliff and down 6'..oof..

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. Just an observation. I don't think falling on your back is common (except for @scott43 , apparently!)

I've never seen a fall backwards to your back, but I have witnessed (on more than one occasion), the ol' over the handlebars, front flip, somersault, land on the back.

As for the video, I see nothing wrong with it. As Monique pointed out, it looks like the kid is pumping off a couple of the rollers, and leaning into the berms. Good teaching opportunity, IMO. The dad (assuming it's the father), isn't going that fast. Seems like if there was a fall, it would be no worse than if the kid was on his own bike. I agree with everyone else, the kid seats on a bike or kid in a backpack makes me significantly more nervous. The idea of being strapped in during a crash seems much scarier and more dangerous than being on a trail-a-bike.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I saw a double trailer the other day at Keystone. They were riding asphalt, though.

Here is a double I was able to photograph:

20140726_161648_Android.jpg

The parent must be in pretty good shape hauling that around Summit County.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
What if the baby/kid in a backpack apparatus had a roll cage?

Or maybe put another way - is there *any* way you can think of to safely bring a baby along on a trail ride or alpine ski.

Edit - can anyone remember the movie/skier who was in one of the major ski films of the last few years (probably 2 years ago) that was pregnant?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
giphy.gif

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've never seen a fall backwards to your back
Me neither... except one idiot who goes by his name Primoz here on forum:D This idiot tried to learn wheelie (which after riding bikes for all my life, I still didn't) with clipless (I know I should read the other thread first :D), and once you start to go over to your back, it's just too late for anything :roflmao:So probably I'm the only who managed to wall on his back on mtb :roflmao:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I fell on my back doing a wheelie on a sloped sidewalk. I hit the concrete so hard my neighbor thought I was dead. No wonder my back is screwed up now.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
FIFY:decisions:
When I was doing the bike clinic last month, there was a dad with his Back Protector (maybe 1 or 1 1/2 years old) in a pack on his back, and his dog running along side. Dad had a helmet, but the Back Protector didn't.
One of the women in our group commented, "Thats irresponsible."
I really try not to jump to a conclusion, but that left me shaking my head.

As to the OP, that's cool; he is riding well within his capabilities and the child is in no more danger of being injured than if he were doing just about anything else children might be doing.

I was going to ask why the child isn't he riding his own bike, but that's been answered above.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw a double trailer the other day at Keystone. They were riding asphalt, though.

Here is a double I was able to photograph:

View attachment 48985

The parent must be in pretty good shape hauling that around Summit County.
That's ambitious.