• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Crappy Snow Test: Stockli Laser AX, Blizzard 2018 Brahma, Fischer Pro MTN 86, CURV DTX

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Blizzard Brahma 2018, Stockli Laser AX, Fischer Pro Mountain 95, Fischer The Curv DTX in terrible snow!

The following review is a 3-runs/ski review of 4 good skis, in less than optimal conditions. I find that any ski feels amazing on Colorado hero snow. The kind of snow I was on today was the opposite, and really pulled out the personality and friendliness of each ski. Rain had fallen last week, almost 2 inches, and 8 inches of heavy snow followed. Bachelor had done their usual poor job grooming, trying to groom 60 miles each night and leaving the groomers riddled with ridges, holes, death cookies. Despite our complaints, they have yet to learn “quality over quantity”. Wind was blowing 50mph plus at mid-mountain, which was pushing powdered sugar snow down the hill, filling in spots. Groomers went from concrete to 3” deep of windpack within the matter of a couple of feet. I was able to get much more of a feel for the skis today than I did in Colorado. Good snow masks a lot of flaws!

1st up: the Blizzard Brahma, 2018 model, 180cm. This ski is all new for 2018, different shape in the tip and tail, flipcore design is also different in flex. The overall feel of the ski is nothing like the 2017 version. My perception is of a ski with above average stability, moderate power in the tail, moderate forgiveness, moderate edge grip. It sits right in the middle of the spectrum for everything: arcing turns isn't really it's specialty, as it feels a little sluggish as a groomer ski. Off-piste, I liked it in bigger radius brushed turns, tighter radius higher edge angle turns. It fought me a bit when I wanted to stay fall line and ski it like a more focused bump ski. The tip did feel like it wanted to dive down and find hard snow more than I preferred: it was laterally very stiff at the tip, almost too edgy and aggressive. The tail was quite forgiving however, certainly an improvement on the 2017 model. Due to the aggressive tip, I held back a bit in the junk snow, as I really didn't trust the ski as much as I wanted to. I did note the ski was railed out of the wrapper and really needed a grind.

Stockli Laser AX: current model (current through 2018), 175cm. The Laser AX is fairly narrow for an off-piste ski at 78mm, but one would never know that when skiing it. This was by far the easiest and best ski here, no question. Although the tip had every bit as much power as the other skis tested here, it did not suffer from the “excessive edginess” and artificially boosted lateral feel that was present on the other skis. It loaded perfectly, did not “dive for hard snow underneath, and not a trace of a hooky tip was present. It seemed to surf above the junk snow. I would say forgiveness was easily 30% higher than any of the other skis. The tail was so easy when releasing; the AX truly feels like an off-piste narrow ski in these conditions. On the groomers, it was the only ski in the group that I trusted enough to really open up, as I was confident the tip wouldn't find a hole and dive in, nor would it catch and grab. If I could draw up a ski that responded exactly as I desired, given the terrible conditions, the AX would be that ski. Part of that is the relative quiet, damp nature on groomers: the AX is an all-condition ski, not a groomer zoomer, race-ski lite model. I call it “technical all-mountain”. It is superb in bumps, for example.

Fischer Pro Mountain 86: another ski that is stiff laterally, very aggressive, and has a bit of a wide carver feel. The performance of the 86 mirrored that of the Brahma; the character of the 2 skis is not similar, however. The 86 contains more tip rocker with no taper, it tends to feel more engaged at the tip, and in this snow, that meant arcing turns. The 86 also was great as long as I trusted it in the junky snow, but that is a tough thing to ask with a ski this laterally aggressive. I love the 86 in good snow; I have found it to be a superb all-mountain companion, but once we start talking about somewhat scary concrete and funky snow blown in, it was quite aggressive at the tip, laterally speaking. It also wanted to dive down to firm snow, always looking for a hard surface to engage with. Great fun on the smoother patches, too much in the junk; it skis like a frontside ski with some versatility in width, which is exactly how it was designed. The Ranger 90 is the off-piste ski. The tail was fairly aggressive as well on the 86; best to keep this one as a 75% groomer ski.

Fischer The Curv DTX: a pure frontside carver, one of the best carvers on the market today. I didn't try to venture off-piste on the DTX; it is a groomer ski, not a narrow all-mountain ski. If I had to buy only one pure carver, it may very well be the DTX. Even with that said, it was a heck of a lot of ski for these conditions. Again, very laterally stiff, the tip engages immediately at the top of the turn. The skier needs to be ready for what is coming next: a freight train of power and snap. Incredible power, but it was a little much in this snow; get that tip fully working, and it tends to dig south through the powdered sugar. It was the best ski here provided that I trust it, but in this snow, I did not feel like taking any chances, and backed off. The DTX has serious top end for such a short 171cm ski; power rivaling that of any frontside ski. It may be the best carver available today. A shame I couldn't open it up due to terrible grooming. I dealt with ridges and holes from one edge of the groomer to the other. Bachelor has a view on groomers of “quantity over quality”, the proverbial “half-ass job”, which makes testing hard snow skis a real challenge.

Of all the skis I tested in these conditions, the AX was really only the ski that handled them well. It really brings out the difference between premium skis and more affordable, larger distribution brands. The difference isn't so much at the top end of stability: any ski can be designed for high stability given enough metal and carbon. The premium skis, as I have found, have a range that most top-end skis do not. They can be dialed down, backed off, skied slow in junk snow, with the corresponding sweet spot double the size when compared to that of a ski selling for $599. They are more predictable in rough conditions: the skier finds the ski to be less about what type of turn the ski wants to execute, and more about the type of turn the skier wants to execute. It may sound like a small distinction, but far too many skis today have a “mind of their own” and are artificially designed to feel “boosted”. Car enthusiasts are familiar with this concept: too often big cars are produced that feel dead and ship-like, yet characteristics such as steering are artificially changed to feel more aggressive, rather than actually making a sportier, precise handling RWD car. A friend drives a Mercedes CLA AMG, and it is the epitome of a “boosted” car. Heavy FWD, mad torque-steer, artificially snappy steering rack, boosted turbo engine. To borrow a popular idiom: it isn't a sporty car, but can play one after staying at the Holiday Inn. This is the case with many skis today, and why uber-stiff skis such as the Mantra still remain popular with high intermediates. They feel “edgy”, and those speaking so highly of them from a high intermediate standpoint will refer to how “well they carve”, even though that skier is incapable of getting enough edge angle and pressure to carve a turn. What they feel is that hard, aggressive “bite”, not unlike a car that is too stiffly sprung. Stiffly sprung cars aren't necessarily fast around a track, but they do feel fast. It is mistaken for a ski that is working underfoot, whereas the Laser AX, for example, is actually holding well underfoot, but instead of feeling aggressive, the pressure builds as directed by the skier, as if it were reading the skier's mind.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I really like the angle you are taking here, @dawgcatching , by focusing on crud type conditions. Does the AX come a little wider? Also, it would have been lovely to have the Renoun Z90 in the mix. Cheers!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@dawgcatching

Skied the AX yesterday in typical spring conditions of ankle to mid shin slush. The AX is far more versatile than the 78mm underfoot might indicate. A great example of what modern ski shape and composition can do. Predictable, smooth and yes, the tip is amazing in this type of snow. Hand flexing does show its flex but tip on edge and it has just the right blend of flex and rebound, in the spring snow, it does "feel" more surfy but never fold or deflects, its laterally stiff and it shows in the piles and loose snow where others grab or get deflected. Scott uses the term "dive" and i get that but it also never gets "lost" as some ski tips do. Underfoot is fairly stiff and the tail is also moderately stiff. There's a lot of camber in this "all mountain skinny ski" and its a blast to load it up in the piled stuff and pop it off the snow when releasing the edges. i had complete confidence with the AX. I love this ski: with a 3;1 (radial tune) it had tenacious grip early when the snow is still hard and has that funky grippy feel as it starts to turn. I am again amazed at what has become my go-to ski for almost any condition.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree with Scott and Ron's descriptions of the AX. Skied mine yesterday at Vail, starting with First Tracks and some pretty hard snow at 7:30 am, all the way through the mid-afternoon 40 degree sun slush in the back bowls. Extremely versatile ski that, as Ron says, feels a bit surfy in the spring snow but gives up very little in the way of grip in early morning conditions.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
How does the Stormrider 88 compare to the Brahma and Pro Mountain since they are similar width. And how different is it to the AX?

gozoogle

Booting up
Skier
Fischer The Curv DTX: a pure frontside carver, one of the best carvers on the market today. I didn't try to venture off-piste on the DTX; it is a groomer ski, not a narrow all-mountain ski. If I had to buy only one pure carver, it may very well be the DTX. Even with that said, it was a heck of a lot of ski for these conditions. Again, very laterally stiff, the tip engages immediately at the top of the turn. The skier needs to be ready for what is coming next: a freight train of power and snap. Incredible power, but it was a little much in this snow; get that tip fully working, and it tends to dig south through the powdered sugar. It was the best ski here provided that I trust it, but in this snow, I did not feel like taking any chances, and backed off. The DTX has serious top end for such a short 171cm ski; power rivaling that of any frontside ski. It may be the best carver available today. A shame I couldn't open it up due to terrible grooming. I dealt with ridges and holes from one edge of the groomer to the other. Bachelor has a view on groomers of “quantity over quality”, the proverbial “half-ass job”, which makes testing hard snow skis a real challenge.

How would you compare it to the Stöckli SL (new 2018 model)? The Curv DTX was the only non-Stöckli ski I tried at demo day this past Sat and it was great. Disconcertingly light for how powerful it was. I did feel like it wasn't as smooth as the SL and wasn't as stable on landings from small jumps (conditions were super cold hardpack), but a great value when you compare costs.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, where can I find a Laser AX to demo in the Northeast?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
So, where can I find a Laser AX to demo in the Northeast?

Today's Edge - Stowe. He has pretty much everything. There are some Stockli in the on hill demo center too. Not sure if they have the AX.

Last edited:

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Great info and thanks for that. I would have liked it if the Kastle MX 84 was in the mix for this review. Any thoughts on how it fares compared to the Stockli?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Yup, read that one several times. I was wondering how the MX 84 would fare in the "crappy" snow conditions relative to the Stockli

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
not a enough time on the MX84 but its a bit more stiff in the tip but IMHO, it will crush spring snow. that ski has a bit more liveliness and even more energy. Its just a bit less of of an all mountain type ski than the AX and more groomer-carve focused. From the very limited time I have skied the MX, I think the AX is more subtle and would handle those conditions with better refinement especially the way the tips works. I would be interested to hear @dawgcatching thoughts on this as he and others have far more time on the mx. I would still own the MX but feel the AX is just a better all mountain tool.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I must be an outlier, because I have been less than thrilled each time I have been on Kastle skis. Last week at Alta, I demoed a pair of MX84 in a 175. The conditions were hardpack to icy in the morning and things never really softened up. I figured that these skis would shine in these conditions. They did hold an edge really well and skied with a fair amount of precision, but I did not notice a lot of energy or liveliness. Maybe it was me -- perhaps I am not bending a ski as much as I think I am, and maybe I can't judge a ski beyond saying 'I like/don't like it', but the ski just felt boring. I took out my Motive 95 in the afternoon, and while it takes a lot more tipping to get that ski on edge, it just livelier, more fun, and just as stable.

I did take out a couple of Pro Mountain skis at Jackson Hole in Spring time mushy snow with some firmer bumps in the trees and some hardish pack underneath the mush -- the 86 did everything that I asked it to: short turns, long turns, fast turns, slow turns -- well you get the idea. I found it quite capable in the bumps and I felt that this could be the slightly narrower ski that I am looking for.

The Pro Mountain 80 was a different story -- it did not feel stiff enough to make me feel confident skiing the mushy stuff, the performance in the bumps was meh. On some soft groomed terrain it came more alive, and I realized 'ok, this is what this ski is designed for...'

I am looking for a ski in 80ish range that will be fun on the groomed but will also have a fun factor in ungroomed and bump terrain. Thus, I would love to get on the AX, but I don't think that a trip to Stowe is in the cards for this spring. I also would like to get on the Head Titan for a comparison -- at the Mother's Day trip last May, I was having so much fun with the Rallys that I stupidly did not try the Titans.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Biggest storm in ages, skied my PM86s all day. Not that you can see them very well. I feel like the Pro Mountain series is much more off-piste oriented than Dawg gives it credit for.

Reactions: TPJ

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Finally found the Stockli Laser AX in 175cm to demo. I’m at Steamboat right now in the Spring/Summer skiing temps. I’ve been ooking for an all mountain ski in the low 80’s to ski out West when there hasn’t been much new snow. Can’t find any place in CO that ordered the Kastle MX 84’s to stock/demo and even though I really liked the MX 83 in 173, I’m hesitant to plunk down $1299 on a ski I haven’t been on. OK, for the Stockli the tune was not the best. It was sharp under foot but not so good at the top 1/3 of the ski -almost rounded over. It is barely freezing at night but the slush piles from the day are hard in the morning and the groomer tracks are also frozen with some large craters in various areas. I couldn’t get the ski to bite at the tip in these conditions but if I drove forward it would hold after a second. I agree with @dawgcatching that you can change the turn shape from short to long and start to pick up speed. I felt better on the ski as the day went on even as the slush piles started to build. Here’s where it felt the best. I could set an edge and push right through the piles or use them to get some air and turn. The AX seemed to suck up inconsistencies and not throw me around. I felt that I was skiing pretty fast and not getting worked. Fun Ski. It’s on sale right now here and very tempting. On hard groomers it had a speed limit but I will try it again tomorrow to see if I just needed to get used the ski.

For a contrast in February I was at Beaver Creek and was on the MX 89 172cm. The MX 88 178 was too much ski for me. The MX 89 looked short on my feet but didn’t ski short at all. On the early hard groomers all you do is set and edge and it takes off. I was at speed way too early for a warm up run. I ran out of technique before any speed limit. I went to wake up on some lower angle groomers and this was great. Hit 53mph on a 25 degree slope if the SkiTrax app is accurate. I really love this ski but it feels like a wide SG/GS bomber. It is just not versatile enough for my weight and ability as It does not release nicely. If you have to maneuver around skiers on the trail they protest and don’t like to be thrown sideways as the tail does not slide.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hey @TimF I'll be skiing in the AM if you want to meet up. I am sure you are demoing at Steamboat Ski at the base. They are on sale for $899 flat but I'm sure you could work a deal with bindings but @dawgcatching has some 175's with Aattacks for $950.00. They were skied less than 2 hours. Yep, I have mine setup with a 3:1

PM me in the AM if you are up for a couple turns or a beer at the base.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't see those listed on dawgcatching's site.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Day 2 on the Laser AX. I tried to put an edge with some diamond stones. This helped a little but the tune was still bad. I can tell that a fresh tune and I will really like these skis. I like being able to vary turn shape and they are smooth. Maybe I would like a little more power (MX 84), maybe the AX's are better for me. No demo so cant tell. I couldn't pass up the deal. $720 for skis, $130 for Attack 13's and they gave me credit for 2 demo days. Happy.
Ron, sorry we couldn't make any turns. I was busy with my daughter's race.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
congrats and killer deal! Many happy turns together. Hope your daughter did well.

i would suggest a full tune and a prep if you havent already

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Congrats. I've 3 days on my laser ax skis and love them. They excel on hard pack and did awesome in soft packed powder the other day. Super fun, oh so smooth and a very capable ski.