• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crap! Lyme....grrrr

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The ticks are in abundance this year in SoCal. So far, I've only seen the American Dog Tick so no risk of lyme. I assume it's the nice wet winter that we had. Ugh. I hate those things. When my son was a baby and a tick embedded itself in his scalp, I took him to the doctor to have it removed and insisted the tick be tested for Lyme. I offered to pay for the test, but my insurance covered it. In Humboldt county and Kings County, Lyme is so prevalent that they start you on a course of Doxy immediately if you have been bitten. Take care of yourself and allow your body time to heal. You can get back in shape later.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ticks are a big FUD ( fear, uncertainty, and doubt) for most, but take heart in this: most ticks, even here in east coast lyme country, don't carry any disease. My land has many ticks ( 100,000s of thousands per acre? maybe more?) and me and my wife are constantly bitten and find ticks on us since we work our land. Most of the time we just remove them from us and we are no worse for the wear. The key is to be in tune with your body and when you feel ill and have symptoms of any tick borne illness then to get checked out, because undiagnosed tick borne illness can lead to serious complications.

As a side note: Deer Ticks are a misnomer, Ixodes scapularis is carried and spread more by birds than deer; it should be renamed to the Bird Tick.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Ticks are a big FUD ( fear, uncertainty, and doubt) for most, but take heart in this: most ticks, even here in east coast lyme country, don't carry any disease. My land has many ticks ( 100,000s of thousands per acre? maybe more?) and me and my wife are constantly bitten and find ticks on us since we work our land. Most of the time we just remove them from us and we are no worse for the wear. The key is to be in tune with your body and when you feel ill and have symptoms of any tick borne illness then to get checked out, because undiagnosed tick borne illness can lead to serious complications.

As a side note: Deer Ticks are a misnomer, Ixodes scapularis is carried and spread more by birds than deer; it should be renamed to the Bird Tick.

Just reading those tid bits of fact and factoid makes me feel so much better.

or,,, maybe not.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Hunh, always thought it was more of a rodent tick, especially at the nymph stage. Learn something new everyday. Forget 3 other useful things, but that's a different story.

Sponsor

Staff online