• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crap! Lyme....grrrr

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Started a month ago with a wicked four day fever, followed with a low grade elevated temperature that persisted.

Only two weeks left on the Doxycycline treatment. I hope it works! Feeling like crap all the time sucks!

Sure wish the ticks had not decided to weaponize! ;-)

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Same here. 7-1/2 months high dose antibiotics.

I faired well, others I know not so.
Thanks for the offer. I will wait to see how it goes once the pills run out ;-)

Right now I feel good, just not strong. A month off will do that.

Cut and split a face cord of 24 inch firewood today. I was BEAT after four ours of that.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Yeah, but how long since you swung a maul for four hours? I spent a couple hours with a shovel handle a couple days ago and my shoulders still hurt.

I used to do that all day long when I was installing drainfields.

Hope the pills work for you. The illness can become terribly debilitating

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its been a big issue for a long time, just not willing recognized by the medical industry. (Mine was 13 years ago).

Treated early and well its usually a good recovery, missed or treated late, you’re in for a world of hurt (death in one instance I know).

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers
G

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been there, three times. Doxy, great stuff. You'll feel better soon.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Been there, three times. Doxy, great stuff. You'll feel better soon.

I felt better after the first pill! And actually I feel pretty much normal, just not as strong as I would like. I tire too easily. I'm working on the fitness part as a separate issue. Ski season is coming on quickly!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Get well and come back stonger

Watch the microbiome, keep it heathy

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

Yes, I've noticed the change in my gut immediately.
I eat vegetarian, so the flora has been well fed for a long time.

But these "bug killing pills" are ruthless~

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Its been a big issue for a long time, just not willing recognized by the medical industry. (Mine was 13 years ago).

I got it in 1984. I are up in the town adjacent to Old Lyme, and I think half my friends had it at some point or another. They gave me so much tetracycline that I couldn't go outside all summer. Couldn't even really go near a window in the daytime!

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

On consideration of your suggestion......

How does one maintain a healthy microbiome when being administered antibiotics twice daily?

To me it seems like an effort in futility

except to consume easily digested foods while under treatment.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On consideration of your suggestion......

How does one maintain a healthy microbiome when being administered antibiotics twice daily?

To me it seems like an effort in futility

except to consume easily digested foods while under treatment.
Depend on your own body. If needed use probiotics to boost the system.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone receive treatment without blood work results. My doctor has done that for others, but he did not do it for me. All of my tests have been negative yet I am a text book example of Lime. I go outside an sometimes come back riddled with the little bastages. They come and go. March has always been a bad month at our summer place located at elevation. I am hurting for quite a while now, but the tests don't show lime.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone receive treatment without blood work results. My doctor has done that for others, but he did not do it for me. All of my tests have been negative yet I am a text book example of Lime. I go outside an sometimes come back riddled with the little bastages. They come and go. March has always been a bad month at our summer place located at elevation. I am hurting for quite a while now, but the tests don't show lime.

My daughter in law (a horse vet so very much at risk) had Lyme symptoms but nothing showing in her blood work. First doctor refused to prescribe antibiotics (in the UK where they are strict about antibiotics). Another doctor said it was a short window where blood tests positive, gave her antibiotics and cured her.

Antibiotic overuse is not a good thing. Risks to the patient include sun exposure problems, stomach problems, C Difficile, allergies and promotion of antibiotic resistance. But these risks are small compared to an untreated infection. If your doctor suspects Lyme, get the antibiotics and do the full course of treatment - even if the blood tests are negative.

At worst you'll be healthier and stronger - like the cows who get antibiotics regularly in their feed.

Eric

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I read suggest fermented foods.

Beer is food...Right!
Sorry to hear. Maybe try a moderate amount of kombucha instead. Alcohol is not great for your immune system, though kombucha does have a tiny amount.

Probiotics, ginger, turmeric, lots of sleep, moderate exercise but not too much, lots of fruits and vegetables, doing things to make you happy, and no alcohol is how I've boosted my immune system to fight different nasty stuff. Do stuff that helps your immune system and avoid stuff that hurts it!

Edit: check with your doc and pharmacist about any supplements. Get them added you your med list. The last thing you want to do is counteract the doxy somehow!

Sponsor

Staff online