• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't watched the whole thing. Just first 2 runs.

Just long enough to make this clip for a friend, since he did similar last week. They both skied away and friend wasn't racing.:)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
And Štuhec out for rest of season. torn knee ligaments once again.

Yes. "Dislike!" Hate to see that. I don't know if it's me, but we seem to have seen a lot of bad luck and resulting ACL and knee injuries.

On the bright side, nice to see Goggia just "send it", and be so aggressive with her line in getting the win.

Second podium of the season for Lara Gut-B. First in DH. Other was in SG at St. Moritz. Both I her home country. Dn't know what to make of her year......

One US skier. Alice M. Still learning the ropes. Decimated USST squad. Tough year, to say the least.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Uh, my bad. From the FIS website:
Lara Gut-Behrami of Switzerland, who also did not receive a run time upon crossing the finish and was unofficially in fourth position prior to the check, was confirmed as the final podium athlete in third place.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
No sweat. Easy to have been mistaken. Odd day. some serious confusion, for sure.

I was surprised to see Gut-B in the top five. Been less than a stellar season for her.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a very good day for Longines. It was strange during one of the timing outages watching the man throwing salt six feet out of the line. Any news about what happened with Gauthier?

Edit: spelling

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
And results are changed. I guess it was too obvious :D

1 GOGGIA Sofia ITA 1:29.77
2 SCHMIDHOFER Nicole AUT +0.52
3 SUTER Corinne SUI +0.59
4 HAEHLEN Joana SUI +0.61
5 VENIER Stephanie AUT +0.68
6 GUT-BEHRAMI Lara SUI +0.71
7 BRIGNONE Federica ITA +0.78
8 FANCHINI Nadia ITA +0.83
9 FLURY Jasmine SUI +0.97

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.fis-ski.com/en/alpine-s...cial-results-of-crans-montana-ladies-downhill

"The FIS Timing Working Group and Swiss Timing immediately undertook an investigation of the incident including controlling the timing system, electronic and manual timing tapes. The reason that the four times were not recorded was as a consequence of the set-up of the photo cells at the finish, which were mounted too high. After two training days the snow level was somewhat lower due to the multiple runs and slipping on the course as well as melting due to the sunlight.

Thereafter the FIS Timing Working Group has confirmed that the manual times were then incorrectly calculated on Saturday 23rd February, with the correction factor of 0.13 seconds subtracted from the manual time instead of being added. Swiss Timing has since checked the timing tapes and re-calculated all the manual times from the race using the correct methodology, which has been checked by four members of the FIS Timing Working Group."

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&raceid=95568

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
https://www.fis-ski.com/en/alpine-s...cial-results-of-crans-montana-ladies-downhill

"The FIS Timing Working Group and Swiss Timing immediately undertook an investigation of the incident including controlling the timing system, electronic and manual timing tapes. The reason that the four times were not recorded was as a consequence of the set-up of the photo cells at the finish, which were mounted too high. After two training days the snow level was somewhat lower due to the multiple runs and slipping on the course as well as melting due to the sunlight.

Thereafter the FIS Timing Working Group has confirmed that the manual times were then incorrectly calculated on Saturday 23rd February, with the correction factor of 0.13 seconds subtracted from the manual time instead of being added. Swiss Timing has since checked the timing tapes and re-calculated all the manual times from the race using the correct methodology, which has been checked by four members of the FIS Timing Working Group."

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&raceid=95568

This is why we have hand timers still. I expect it will be a topic at next year’s Alpine Officials update.

I’m curious about miscalculating the correction factor but there is a lot of pressure on timing to just get the results out.

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
The initial statement from Longines:

"The problem was due to connection issues between the infrastructure installed on the finish line and the timekeeping room. Consequently, the electronic timekeeping did not stop the finish time automatically for some of the competitors."

Sounds more likely than the "mounting too high" of the finish beams. "After two training days the snow level was somewhat lower due to the multiple runs and slipping on the course as well as melting due to the sunlight."

To miss the athletes, the beams would have to be over 30 inches off the snow surface. If the beams we're originally installed at boot height, then the claimed snow compaction and melting was 20 inches?

Yeah, sure.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
What is the usual beam height for the finish line? What part of the skier are they looking for? I guess based on the way some skiers lunge for finish in some SL races, it must be very close to the snow? Like toe of boot or binding?

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
FIS snow control looks for a minimum of 8" of solid injected "snow" for venues staging multi day training and race day runs before green lighting the event.
The position that enough melting occurred to lower the racers below the beams is flawed, to put it mildly.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
The initial statement from Longines:

"The problem was due to connection issues between the infrastructure installed on the finish line and the timekeeping room. Consequently, the electronic timekeeping did not stop the finish time automatically for some of the competitors."

Sounds more likely than the "mounting too high" of the finish beams. "After two training days the snow level was somewhat lower due to the multiple runs and slipping on the course as well as melting due to the sunlight."

To miss the athletes, the beams would have to be over 30 inches off the snow surface. If the beams we're originally installed at boot height, then the claimed snow compaction and melting was 20 inches?

Yeah, sure.

The melting causes the posts to shift and beams go out of alignment missing athletes crossing the finish. However it should have been noticed quickly (first finish miss). They may have been readjusting and losing alignment again.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
What is the usual beam height for the finish line? What part of the skier are they looking for? I guess based on the way some skiers lunge for finish in some SL races, it must be very close to the snow? Like toe of boot or binding?

The standard is below knee height. Also there are 2 systems so the upper beam is below knee height and the lower beam is up to 8” below that.

For both beams to miss there must have been an alignment or wiring issue. The statement Lifer quoted from Longines definitely points to a wiring issue.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah "beam too high" is total BS. These things are installed about 25cm above ground. If there would be so much snow melt, that all of a sudden beam would be 1.5m high, I guess someone would notice this ;) Ok Gut is a bit smaller, so maybe beam would need to be just 1.2m heigh to miss her, but still. :doh:

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah "beam too high" is total BS. These things are installed about 25cm above ground. If there would be so much snow melt, that all of a sudden beam would be 1.5m high, I guess someone would notice this ;) Ok Gut is a bit smaller, so maybe beam would need to be just 1.2m heigh to miss her, but still. :doh:

I will say after watching the replay following Gut's missed finish time, the installation definitely looked too high. He lowered the beam several inches.

The beam is unlikely to miss anyone skiing across the finish line upright, if they fall and slide through that's a different story....

Sponsor

Staff online