• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank Brothers releases new "easy release" cleats

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So much of it is muscle memory. Your body learns how to deal with the idiosyncrasies of each kind of pedal, more or less. Doesn't mean it doesn't work particularly naturally with some and less so with others, though.

I still ride SPDs once in a while on a spin bike in the off season and hate them as much as when I owned a pair. The entry and exit just doesn't feel natural to me.

CB for sure has made many fragile pedals. I've owned some. Have maintained my allegiance more out of inertia than anything. That said, the oldest (2003 or 4?) and newest (2015?) ones are holding up. Last I knew, it was still true that you had to get the "3" level, with the forged or cast wings, to achieve any durability. Ymmv.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Are you running the Saints on a trail bike? How do you like them? Did you have the Shimanos Trail pedals before? Comparisons? Even though I want to give the CBs a fair shot, I’m exploring other options and the Saints are one I’m curious about (only negative review seems to be about their heavy weight).

I am running the Saints on my trail bike. Previous to that I was on the XTR "race" pedal which had been a warranty replacement for my XTR "trail" pedals. I ditched to the Saints this year because my new shoes seem to have a softer sole than my old ones and I've been getting sore feet on long downhills. It was cheaper to try new pedals than new shoes...

I've always felt that wether it is Time, Shimano or Crank Bros getting in and out is pretty much the same motion, the only exception being the original Shimano 737s which were hinged in front too and allowed you to step in straight down or even pull in backwards. Those were the best, but probably too heavy and expensive for today's riders. I had hoped that the redesigned Saint pedal would use that mechanism.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
While part of me thought, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it

*grin* 3 frames down, not broken yet! #goodenuff4Tinker
15359867065927011526451597701160.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
SO I heard back from crank brothers. The reply is a little puzzling.... I asked if they could tell us the difference between their pedal and the Shimano HS-51 Multi release pedal. I have to wonder if the response came from an overseas group that replies to inquires.

"We are not that familiar with the Shimano verson, although we can elaborate a little more on our product as we are fairly knowledge with. As you may have noticed, the easy release cleats have been released since this message was sent, and the 10 degree angle is much of an improvement with those riders that either prefer a much shorter throw for release, or those that have physical limitations that impede their ability to disengage with our standard cleats."

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The issues with CBs are this....

When releasing if you went to far they STUCK. If you force yours heels out on Shimano or Time you come out no matter what cleats you have on.

2. They release when the bottom of the cage hits somethings. Shimanos do not do this not sure on time.

3. They bend super easy which makes them either impossible to get out, or impossible to get in.

4. the bearing are made of softest metal knows to man.

These issues are across the entire brand of pedal, and it make me wonder why people keep trying them. It almost like its a religion.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Not part of the religion, but I switched to crank brothers as my clip in pedal this summer after breaking 2 sets of xtr's in a month! was frustrated, and thought I'd try something else.

I got used the vague engagement, liked how positive they were when in, but the "throw" felt too far after 20plus years on shimano spd or flats at times. shimanos is 12 degrees i hear.
Then this cleat Ron mentioned came out, and I got a pair. Love them! Best clipless pedal system I"ve used. I do have the 400 dollar candy w/ ti crap and the 10degree release cleat, but no more broken pedals, easier out then shimano but more secure in for me right now.

Not a religious guy, will still ride flats and shimano if they work out their quality control (I think they dropped the xtr trail pedal I kept breaking).

As far as CB easy release vs shimano, The M cleat with shimano is great for some riders who don't worry about retention as much, the problem is they can come out at lots of angles, so accidental releases can happen. With the CB, you don't go out on different angles as with shimano, it has to be sideways and correct, but comes out at 10 instead of 12, 15 or 20.

no snow here, still riding a bit!

cheers!
W

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
SO I heard back from crank brothers. The reply is a little puzzling.... I asked if they could tell us the difference between their pedal and the Shimano HS-51 Multi release pedal. I have to wonder if the response came from an overseas group that replies to inquires.

"We are not that familiar with the Shimano verson, although we can elaborate a little more on our product as we are fairly knowledge with. As you may have noticed, the easy release cleats have been released since this message was sent, and the 10 degree angle is much of an improvement with those riders that either prefer a much shorter throw for release, or those that have physical limitations that impede their ability to disengage with our standard cleats."

Maybe they didn't want to answer, or maybe they were confused becasue Shimano's multi-release cleat is the SH-56, the SH-51 is the standard one. (long time happy SH-56 user)

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
interesting as I was on the Mallet 3's when I couldn't get out and broke my wrist. I chalked that up to a weak hip that couldn't externally rotate yet but... I really like the platform and feel of that pedal. I hope to hear from them soon,. I will try to get a pair.
3 ribs and crushed a Giro helmet. Flats 4ever.

Reactions: Ron

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As there is no other place to post as it was closed.

For years I wore toe clips and have been on verge if getting a clipless setup. Biggest worry was getting locked in a bad situation or not having the mobility on the pedal. My pedal bearing started going so, took the plunge.

Surprise, love them. Better performance, no difficult releasing.

An inexpensive MEC dual purpose pedal (flat on one side if you need to take regular shoes), and an all purpose (step up from an entry level) lace up shoe.

Best upgrade to the bike.

Learning curve 10 minutes. Set the pedal loose (will like tighten up as comfort increase), cleat set neutral. Guess all that time with clips prep’d me for cleats.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah if your actually mtbing I would scrap the half and half pedals if just riding rail trail it will be no issue. With that said any clipless system would be easier than any toe clips

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah if your actually mtbing I would scrap the half and half pedals if just riding rail trail it will be no issue. With that said any clipless system would be easier than any toe clips
Went the half half route as a just in case I didn’t like it. And sometime I’ll still ride with regular running shoes.

Not as serious of a trail rider as some of you. ;).

Cheers.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Went the half half route as a just in case I didn’t like it. And sometime I’ll still ride with regular running shoes.

Not as serious of a trail rider as some of you. ;).

Cheers.

The thing is trying to clip in on the half pedals is futile when on singletrack.

Also I mean it literally take 2 minutes to swap pedals if you want to wear sneakers and who would want to wear sneaker Mtbing?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The thing is trying to clip in on the half pedals is futile when on single track.

It's certainly no harder than using toe clips! Just wondering, did you ever use toe clips? You know we actually used to be able to start on hills with them. It sucked trying to get them to flip over if they were dragging in grass.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The thing is trying to clip in on the half pedals is futile when on singletrack.

Also I mean it literally take 2 minutes to swap pedals if you want to wear sneakers and who would want to wear sneaker Mtbing?
I agree since I’ve tried them. Let me get over that reluctance.....will likely upgrade to better pedal early next season.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Anyone remember using these in the late 80’s/early 90’s as the alternative to the plastic toe clips? (They sucked just as bad).. These led me to my first pair of used SPD’s and Vittoria cycling shoes.

194D048D-C332-4AA9-A974-C157D8594936.jpeg