• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank Brothers releases new "easy release" cleats

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Since the subject of flats vs clipless has been so popular, I thought I would post this up. Crank Brothers has introduced their version of Shimano's HS-51 Multi-release pedals. I just shot off a request for info on these and hope to have some additional info on their version vs Shimano. What is different is that they offer these in a 0** 6* float paired with a 10* release. the regular CB release is 15*.

I am happy to see this as I really like the CB mallet 3 pedals but with my hips, I had issues getting out and went to flats

https://www.crankbrothers.com/?utm_source=crankbrothers+newsletter&utm_campaign=3e24a46078-Cleats+(consumers)&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0b2b5cedfb-3e24a46078-79660365&mc_cid=3e24a46078&mc_eid=fa497c056b

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Drinking my morning coffee, browsing the internet I saw this pop up on social media this morning.

I just switched to CB pedals after running
Shimanos. I wanted to try a stable platform with still running clipless, so got a pair for Mallet Es. I’ve taken them out twice, once by myself with the mentality of getting them adjusted and comfortable, then once on a group ride. Let’s just say by the end of the second ride I felt like I had never run clipless before, let alone, ride a bike. My biggest issue is I can’t release when my pedals are level and I try to release the rear foot...my toe hits the crank and won’t release. The only thing I’ve found to give advice on this problem is, don’t release when in that position. Ugh.

Before I read about the early release, I was ready to sell the Mallets and buy a new pair of Shimanos. This gives me a bit of hope. I think I’m gonna order set and give it a shot. I love the pedals when I’m clipped, but I’m struggling with getting in and out, and the difference between them and my old SPDs.

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@elemmac, easy-release Shimano cleats kept my wife in SPDs when she was about ready to throw in the towel with the regular cleats.

I'd for sure give the Crank Bros version a try!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so got a pair for Mallet Es.

interesting as I was on the Mallet 3's when I couldn't get out and broke my wrist. I chalked that up to a weak hip that couldn't externally rotate yet but... I really like the platform and feel of that pedal. I hope to hear from them soon,. I will try to get a pair.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Have you tried heel-in release yet?

You may remember we shifted herself from 17 degree ATAC pro cleats to 10 degree ATAC Easy for very similar reason. Time MX8

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
^. no, that hip healed up just fine (actually better than ever), I went to Flats, DMR vaults. But willing to try something that releases easy. I really don't see the need for any cleat to have a high tension release unless you are a pro or expert and have a legit reason for them. Same thing for DIN's too.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't go to the link, but I assume that', it being a Crank Bros product, the "easy release" is achieved by parts breaking off of the pedal???

Didn't want to go there, but.......I don't even know ten guys that DNF'd endurance mtb races due to broken CB pedals.

Seven, to be exact. One guy twice?!

CB seems to have figured that stuff out, though.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the Doubleshot 2.

I had to break in the cleats for a week or so before I felt they would release smoothly and easily. Certainly not as easy as Shimano or Time Attacks, but now I really enjoy them.

Caveat: From another thread on here, I am *not* a Joe Technical Mountain Biker, lol.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

No, I haven’t. And to be honest, it never even crossed my mind. I don’t thing I’ve ever attempted it with my SPDs. But interesting thought...as it would definitely solve the problem I’m having. I’m riding either tomorrow or Monday, and will give it a shot...not sure if I’d be able to do it regularly, but undoubtedly worth a shot.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No, I haven’t. And to be honest, it never even crossed my mind. I don’t thing I’ve ever attempted it with my SPDs. But interesting thought...as it would definitely solve the problem I’m having. I’m riding either tomorrow or Monday, and will give it a shot...not sure if I’d be able to do it regularly, but undoubtedly worth a shot.

Just setting context here ... elemmac is a very strong rider, especially on the downhills.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Whelp, tried it. It’s not for me.

Getting unclipped was much easier and more natural today than it has been, so maybe it’s just breaking in the cleats and getting the feel for the new style clip. Still had a couple of stuggles with the crank arm that I was explaining earlier. But managed to get out without falling over. So I supposed I’m moving in the right direction.

Just setting context here ... elemmac is a very strong rider, especially on the downhills.

Thanks Tony. I gotta free up a Tuesday in the near future to get out and ride with you guys! It’s been awhile. I could definitely give you a few laughs with lack of consistency getting unclipped :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Whelp, tried it. It’s not for me.

Getting unclipped was much easier and more natural today than it has been, so maybe it’s just breaking in the cleats and getting the feel for the new style clip. Still had a couple of stuggles with the crank arm that I was explaining earlier. But managed to get out without falling over. So I supposed I’m moving in the right direction.
:roflmao:

For completeness' sake, there is another option - pedal extensions.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For completeness' sake, there is another option - pedal extensions.

CB makes a long spindle for the Mallets, so that’s definitely another option. I’m probably gonna take the cheapest way out of this...give the “ol’ College try”, and get used to them. If that doesn’t work after a couple more rides, try early release cleats. If that doesn’t work, try a long spindle. And if nothing works, I’ll go back to SPD clips.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I recall correctly that CB cleats are not quite identical, with one having a star on it, then whether the star goes on the left or right pedal results in release at greater or lesser angles?

Probably too simple, and I might be remembering all the way back to my time in Times (ha ha!).

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I recall correctly that CB cleats are not quite identical, with one having a star on it, then whether the star goes on the left or right pedal results in release at greater or lesser angles?

Probably too simple, and I might be remembering all the way back to my time in Times (ha ha!).

You’re remembering correctly. It results in a 15 or 20 degree release depending on where you put the dot. The early release cleat gives you 10 degrees.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm confused about why you guys are running CBs when you say you are having trouble getting in and out. I agree that besides being fragile, they don't have a very positive feel when getting in and are finicky about cleat height and position. I've used several generations of SPD and Times, and one weekend of CBs was enough for me to sell them. Seems like you guys are on the Mallets because you want a bigger platform? Have yo tried the Shimano trail pedals? If that's not enough platform, there are the downhill pedals, I just got the new Saints and they are working well.

DSC_2356.jpg

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@epic - for me it was time for a new set of pedals...when reading reviews and exploring my options, the Mallet Es seemed to get exceptional reviews and made it onto almost every top 10 list I read. From descriptions, they sounded like everything I wanted.

So I figured why not give them a shot? I’ve never run anything but SPDs, so didnt know anything else. While part of me thought, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it...just get another set of Shimanos. You also don’t know what you’re missing (or not missing) if you never switch it up. I mean...I rode a hard tail for quite a few years when getting into mountain biking, because I was happy with it. I would have ridden it a lot longer if I had never tried a full suspension.

So that’s why I’m running them at the moment.

Are you running the Saints on a trail bike? How do you like them? Did you have the Shimanos Trail pedals before? Comparisons? Even though I want to give the CBs a fair shot, I’m exploring other options and the Saints are one I’m curious about (only negative review seems to be about their heavy weight).

Sponsor