• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Craft Beers that Won't be Craft

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Vermont too. Massachusetts has a few good ones, but it is not in the same league.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Craft beer stats:

Colorado ranks 1st in economic impact per capita, 2nd in gallons per adult, 3rd in production, and 3rd in breweries per capita. I think Vermont is 1st in gallons per adult and breweries per capita, Oregon is 2nd in both economic impact and breweries per capita. Pennsylvania is up there in a few categories, too. Washington is 6th in breweries per capita, 2nd overall. California is tops on breweries overall but only 24th per capita.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/by-state/

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Just stood in line 3 hours for growlers of Tree House Brewing's Julius, Haze, and Sap (scoring 100, 99, and 95 respectively on Beer Advocate — scores which, for those keeping track, challenge New England's favorite, Heady Topper — they also have the current number one beer on the BA top 250: Good Morning Imperial Stout).

The place started in 2015 in a garage with space for 55 barrels and one employee; now they have a 650 barrel space and 13 employees; they're building a facility that can handle 125,000 barrels, which will open in 2017. They say they're working hard to maintain quality (they aren't selling stock, for instance), but that's the challenge for the great micro-breweries, isn't it? Staying good.
Lucky that my brother-in -law found this brewery three years ago when their sample room was in a real treehouse. He has made the weekly stop since bringing up to Vermont some of finest brew ever made in Massachusetts. Most Friday nights during ski season we sample the Treehouse magic. Haze, Julius, Alter Ego and Green are my top four favorites. Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Lucky that my brother-in -law found this brewery three years ago when their sample room was in a real treehouse. He has made the weekly stop since bringing up to Vermont some of finest brew ever made in Massachusetts. Most Friday nights during ski season we sample the Treehouse magic. Haze, Julius, Alter Ego and Green are my top four favorites. Life is too short to drink bad beer.

I have a 2 liter growler of Haze in my refrigerator now. I hear King Julius is something to write about, too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a 2 liter growler of Haze in my refrigerator now. I hear King Julius is something to write about, too.
Well, go get some and write about it. We will be here waiting.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mikkeller, the danish gipsy brewer makes a few interesting and great tasting beers. Got a peculilar sense of humor too, he made "The book about the beer" that could be bought in his bars. Shortly after it was released came "The beer about the book" that could be consumed in his bars.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
All of their beers are unfiltered. One of the most popular is called Julius because it looks just like Orange Julius. "Haze" refers to the beer's unfiltered-ness, for sure.

But in the photo, the glass and the growler are out of focus.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
September Thursday beer run up north.
$160 Two mixed cases from Alchemist (Heady Topper, Focal Banger, Crusher)
$180 Two cases Sip Of Sunshine
$50 Two bottles of Lawson's Maple Tripple (Only1500 numbered bottles of this once a year brew)
$10 Ben and Jerry's factory stop
$400 total
All needs to be consumed before the October beer run.
Wife notes that our beer hobby is going to put a serious dent in our planned retirement budget and we need to account for this fast growing expense. No problem I say as we can siphon a few bucks off the retirement heli ski budget to pay for beer. She says when did heli skiing make it into the retirement budget? Well - What good is any budget that doesn't include beer and heli skiing I reply. She sent me off to work without any beer.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
If you can read a newspaper through it, it ain't good beer. Having said that, check this one out. Also, notice the skis on the label. This is another fine product from Wasatch Brewing Company (creators of Polygamy Porter and its Nitro variant, and Devastator Double Bock)...

WinterWarmerAle.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online