• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Pretty sure it was mainly down to walking around in flippy floppies all day after I got out of my boots.

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
IMG_20180429_164819615.jpg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Wash them! Use hot soapy water, keep them clean.

Any discomfort associated with cracked skin is due to bacteria. The same bacteria inhibits healing.
\
Scrub that crap out and those cracks will heal rapidly.

During the healing process, moisturizing salves and covering is beneficial.

Keep your skin clean!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wash them! Use hot soapy water, keep them clean.

Any discomfort associated with cracked skin is due to bacteria. The same bacteria inhibits healing.
\
Scrub that crap out and those cracks will heal rapidly.

During the healing process, moisturizing salves and covering is beneficial.

Keep your skin clean!

So discomfort can’t be due to skin being ripped apart? Frankly your post is false. Many things cause cracked heels as @PTskier posted and simply speaking the fact that skin is cracked can cause discomfort whether bacteria is present or not.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had this one summer when I did a lot of wet wading. The sokution was heavy pumice stone to remove all the thick dry skin.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
So discomfort can’t be due to skin being ripped apart? Frankly your post is false. Many things cause cracked heels as @PTskier posted and simply speaking the fact that skin is cracked can cause discomfort whether bacteria is present or not.

My post did not suggest any "cause". Only treatment. Certainly there is "pain" associated with the initial skin being "ripped apart", even if that is not the mechanism of heel cracks. The OP stated continued discomfort. That is nearly always the symptom of bacterial intervention in the restoration process. A war between the good and the bad if you will. Clean is good!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My post did not suggest any "cause". Only treatment. Certainly there is "pain" associated with the initial skin being "ripped apart", even if that is not the mechanism of heel cracks. The OP stated continued discomfort. That is nearly always the symptom of bacterial intervention in the restoration process. A war between the good and the bad if you will. Clean is good!

You said “any discomfort is DUE to bacteria” which does in fact suggest a causal relationship. Once skin is ripped it may continue to cause discomfort regardless of bacterial infection.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
You said “any discomfort is DUE to bacteria” which does in fact suggest a causal relationship. Once skin is ripped it may continue to cause discomfort regardless of bacterial infection.
I have two cuts on my hands and fingers at the moment, misadventure while pruning hemlocks 30 feet off the ground.
Neither cause any discomfort after a through scrubbing and an application of neosporen (sans pain relief)
The injury it's self rarely is the source of continued discomfort if the extent is limited to the dermis.

Infection may be considered the case where the "bad guys" have attained a temporary advantage. In lesser populations, bacteria are just a pain.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have two cuts on my hands and fingers at the moment, misadventure while pruning hemlocks 30 feet off the ground.
Neither cause any discomfort after a through scrubbing and an application of neosporen (sans pain relief)
The injury it's self rarely is the source of continued discomfort if the extent is limited to the dermis.

Infection may be considered the case where the "bad guys" have attained a temporary advantage. In lesser populations, bacteria are just a pain.

Correlation does not equal causation. Or lack thereof. Just because you don’t have discomfort doesn’t mean someone else won’t or that you won’t in a different situation. Note my use of the word MAY.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
And you draw issue of my use of "Due" ;-)

We can be friends on this issue.

Though I stand by the position for cleanliness!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And you draw issue of my use of "Due" ;-)

We can be friends on this issue.

Though I stand by the position for cleanliness!

I didn’t say cleanliness isn’t important. I just said that discomfort isn’t necessarily due to a bacterial infection. It MAY certainly cause discomfort but it isn’t the only cause of discomfort.

This is in no way a friend vs not friend conversation.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I was a kid we were jumping on a track pad in bare feet and I got what the doctor called Sneaker Feet, which is a fungus that causes painfull cracks on the bottom of the feet. It was treated with some prescription anti fungal cream and I kept my feet dry with Dr Schol's powder.

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier
Pretty sure it was mainly down to walking around in flippy floppies all day after I got out of my boots.

For me it gets worse after my feet get wet while walking around in sandals. My doctor-friend says it's because the water displaces the skin's own natural oils, so you need to slather on an OIL-BASED moisturizer ASAP after drying off your feet.

Once the hard callouses develop, you really want to remove them, as others have suggested, with a pumice stone (or the metal equivalent that sorta looks like a microplane grater with a handle).

Sponsor

Staff online