• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
During my final 8 day stint of the season (great thanks - plenty of spray 'n pray corn etc) I seem to have developed badly cracked heels which are pretty painful walking around. I'm slathering them in Dermasil but anyone have any other remedies - seem to remember being prescribed some concentrated Urea ointment (basically pee jelly) at some point in the past?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Bag balm works well. slather on and wear socks to bed.
Also get a pumice stone and scrub feet when in or just out of the shower.
DO NOT Pick, rip or peel the flaps will be more painful.
I saw this recipe on Fake book not sure if it works.
Listerine & Vinegar Foot Soak
  • 1 cup Listerine (or any antiseptic mouthwash)
  • 1 cup vinegar (I used white, but you could use apple cider vinegar if you want)
  • 2 cups warm water
    Soak feet for 10-15 minutes, then use a foot file, pumice stone, or even scrubby sponge to help slough off the softened dead skin. I was able to easily file off a good amount of the dry skin. I have a bit more to go, but I have no doubt another couple of soaks and it should be all gone.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That happens to me occasionally, mostly in the summer when wearing flip flops too much. I use a bacitracin ointment like Neosporin. Keeps the cracks from cracking more, and helps them heal relatively quickly.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We used A&D ointment mostly. Sometimes bag balm. Both will work.
Put it on before donning ski socks and go skiing.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
AmLactin lotion, you can get it in Walgreens. End of story.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
In Taiwan there's a place where you stick your feet into a little pond and these small fish come and eat away all the dead skin. I was way too ticklish to keep my feet in long enough to have any effect but some friends of mine swear by it.

Failing that, I've also had good results with the Aquaphor mentioned above by @coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Taiwan there's a place where you stick your feet into a little pond and these small fish come and eat away all the dead skin. I was way too ticklish to keep my feet in long enough to have any effect but some friends of mine swear by it.

I first saw the fish treatment in London in 2012. While it appears that it can be done safely, I wouldn't trust most places to maintain the rigorous and costly procedures necessary to do so.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/hygiene/body/fish_pedicures.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-spa-pedicures-preventing-infections

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Easier than ticklish fish is the handheld bug sander. 60 grit. You have to be sure not to overheat the foot and cause a burn. Also don't go too far and take all the skin. If you have a good touch, you end up with nice smooth heels ready for lotion.

Of course to really prevent cracked heels, wear socks. That's why you will see me always rocking the socks with my flip flops!

Eric

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I struggle with this, especially in the summer. I rarely wear sandals or go barefoot and I still get trenches that look like Mikaela Shiffrin's been carving on my heels! The pumice/sandpaper in the shower helps a lot but you have to do it every time. Then there's this stuff that seems to work well:
00722510026003_01.jpg

They also make a product called working hands that works really well for dried, cracked finger tips and cuticles. BTW, isn't there a thread on here somewhere about wearing socks with sandals? :roflmao:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
+1 for Bag Balm, my foot treatment of choice.

But many of these remedies sound useful.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any moisturiser really, but you need to apply it religiously every day.

Even then, I still get a buildup of hard, horny skin on my heels that a pumice struggles with. I used to use a single-blade disposable razer after a shower, but I find that a fine micro plane offers the best compromise between effectiveness and precision.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
A second for the O'Keeffe's products. I have a device similar to a fingernail brush that has a rasp on one side and pumice on the other that has worked well too.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
First determine the cause, then select a remedy.
The cause can be a combination of aging, dry skin and lack of support that allows the fat pad at the heel to spread and split the dry skin. There can also be medical reasons.

So...start with moisturizing products. Look at how the heel part of your boots fit, and consider new footbeds to give more heel support. Ski socks with padded heels may offer help.

https://www.ipfh.org/foot-conditions/foot-conditions-a-z/cracked-heels/causes-of-cracked-heels
https://www.amope.com/news/article/how-to-avoid-the-most-common-causes-of-cracked-heels
https://www.footsmart.com/health-resource-center/foot/dry-cracked-heels

Sponsor

Staff online