• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CPAP and Altitude

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
At the start of this season I finally gave in to my wife’s complaints of my snoring, and went on CPAP(auto). Although I had no complaints, my sleep study diagnosed me with mild to moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea, so I agreed to a six month trail with the Phillips Dream Station.

We live in the Phoenix valley at 1000 ft, but go up to the Flagstaff mountains at 7,500 ft every weekend to ski. I never considered actual altitude sickness to be an issue, but did notice that I would have mild headaches and restless sleep whilst in Flagstaff. The Snowbowl ski resort base is even higher at 9,500 ft, but apart from a little fatigue and mild dyspnea, I could ski all day without issue.

Once on CPAP, I did start to feel that I was getting very poor sleep on In Flagstaff and noticed that my AHI index (apnea events per hour) had jumped from a reasonable 5 to a dramatically high 70. Not only was there a jump in my apnic events at altitude, but they had also switched from obstructive in nature, to central. Which basically means that my brain was now failing to urge me to breath, as opposed to a simple airway blockage.

The sleep study center told me that this is not an unusual phenomenon, and advised me not to use my CPAP machine at altitude again. It’s a little disappointing that I was not warned of this effect before, but, that’s medicine.

Please note that I’m not giving advice, or medical recommendations. I’m just sharing my personal experience and wondering if other CPAP users have encountered similar problems at altitude?

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
No issues with my wife or myself at Salt Lake City or Jackson Hole but our machines do not measure apnea events but sleep and feelings of restfulness were good.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
No issues with my wife or myself at Salt Lake City or Jackson Hole but our machines do not measure apnea events but sleep and feelings of restfulness were good.

My machine has a phone app that downloads the data every night. As I never personally complained with sleep issues, it has been interesting to see how many “events” I have per night, and what factors might affect them. Modern technology!

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
No issue with my ResMed and it auto adjusts for altitude. My doctor says its even more important to use in the mountains.

I would talk with the manufacturer of your CPAP to see if you have to manually increase the pressure.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have severe sleep apnoea, 75 breathing halts and 45 awakenings per hour. I've been on a CPAP machine for over 15 years. My big, bulky Fisher & Paykel machine has a manual altitude adjustment and I've never had an issue with it. However the village altitude where I usually ski in Australia is only 1720m ASL, around 5500 feet "in the old money".

I have a newer, compact ResMed machine which has an automatic altitude adjustment. The only issue I had during over 6 weeks in Canada last year was the lack of humidity. I've never had a humidifier, so I improvised a wicking arrangement with a bowl of water and a face washer near the air intake.