• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coyote tried to snatch a little dog off porch(video)

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the Northeast, the raccoon, skunk, and woodchuck (over)population was decimated when the raccoon variant of rabies arrived in the mid 1990's. Canine and feline distemper added to a population decline. At this point, I believe that the population of these species is stable. For some reason that I am unaware of, the Fisher population has expanded in the last 3 decades. Fishers are possibly more effiecient predators of cats then coyotes. Coyotes are everywhere in the Northeast and will mostly avoid people. The exceptions are where people have stupidly put out food for them, and during breeding and nesting season. Letting small dogs and cats outside is the equivalent of putting out food for them. Right now, it seems that we have a huge increase in the Eastern Cottontail population. They seem to be sturdier and to a degree compete with the New England Cottontail whose population seems to be in decline.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the Northeast, the raccoon, skunk, and woodchuck (over)population was decimated when the raccoon variant of rabies arrived in the mid 1990's.
The drop-off in racoon numbers was dramatic. They used to be everywhere. I've only started to see a few in the last few years.

Right now, it seems that we have a huge increase in the Eastern Cottontail population.
All I now is that they are some kind of rabbit, and there are a lot of them. I've noticed short-period population boom-bust cycles for them recently.

I think coyote numbers must be down a little... a few years ago we often heard them howling together at night, but haven't lately.

[Boston outer suburbs]

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We had some bold encounters with coyote and Ziggy. Almost lost him once to a coyote, but thankfully, Ziggy was good at coming when we called.
I don’t call mine when they’re chasing a coyote. I learned the hard way with a senior GS, years ago. As soon as she turned to return to us, the coyote attacked her from behind. It was an expensive vet bill. I just follow them now. I do put shock collars on both my dogs, not to shock them but to call them with a “beep.” They have pretty long range collars, but I use the beep to keep them in range of me in the forest and on our property. I hit the beep as soon as I see a coyote.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Bird hunting with dogs I always kept two buckshot shells in their own pocket just in case coyotes tried to grab the dogs. It has happened to people before, but not to me.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The drop-off in racoon numbers was dramatic. They used to be everywhere. I've only started to see a few in the last few years.

All I now is that they are some kind of rabbit, and there are a lot of them.

The rabbits we are seeing in our yards are the Eastern Cottontails primarily. Raccoons had a free ride for many years: ample food and territory - rabies was the primary factor to bring their numbers down to what is considered "normal"

Sponsor

Staff online