• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coyote tried to snatch a little dog off porch(video)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This video was posted today, showing a coyote trying to snatch a small dog off the front porch.
Fortunately the owner was there and saved his little dog.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They are fast for sure! We get them tear through our yard. Luckily our dogs are big. Sadie found a dead one the other day on our walk and rubbed herself all over it. Sheesh. I wonder if it was her way of making herself seem dangerous? You know, smell that dead coyote on me? Come on, let's go!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They're all around here in totally urban/suburban Raleigh and Durham NC. I'd been doubtful of the reports that they were thriving around here, skeptical until I saw one :geek: dart across the street across from Duke's west campus. A friend and fellow scout leader is pretty certain that their cat fell victim to them snatched where their back yard meets Duke Forest. Heard the rukas, then the yipping as they fought over the carcas. Cat never seen again. We're about a mile and a half from the most urban downtown area of Durham too.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have two small dogs, and an outdoor cat that's evaded them since we moved here in 2012. Scary.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wiley's been denied for too long - Hungry!
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 6.51.57 PM.png

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This is not an isolated occurrence. The coyotes in Tahoe are very bold, have been for a long time. Used to be lots of cats in my neighborhood, not so much anymore.
761810A8-83F8-44E8-9549-F6A11D27F8D6.jpeg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
A bear took down the back deck bird feeder last night. It's time that was put up.
I wish I could have seen the action ;-)

James

Out There
Instructor
I think coyotes have eaten the raccoons and woodchucks around. Use to see raccoons all the time, woodchucks would dig tunnels. Gone now.
I’ve heard the foxes that come out in Dillon,Co play with the dogs. Then when they’re friends, the fox turns on it and kills the dog.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Foxes and coyotes don't share territory. Fox and wolves will share territory. The wolves just don't care.
Fox will tolerate humans in order to avoid coyotes.

Domestic dogs and cats are fair game to any wild creature. Heck, chickens will attack a small dog.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Foxes around here are notorious for being rabid and attacking humans. Coyotes are all around but hardly ever seen. I do suspect they coyotes will become bolder and less afraid of people pretty soon though.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think coyotes have eaten the raccoons and woodchucks around. Use to see raccoons all the time, woodchucks would dig tunnels. Gone now.
I’ve heard the foxes that come out in Dillon,Co play with the dogs. Then when they’re friends, the fox turns on it and kills the dog.

I think our huge raccoon population was decimated by rabies. Have friends who have lost cats to coyotes.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is not an isolated occurrence. The coyotes in Tahoe are very bold, have been for a long time. Used to be lots of cats in my neighborhood, not so much anymore.
View attachment 97482
We had some bold encounters with coyote and Ziggy. Almost lost him once to a coyote, but thankfully, Ziggy was good at coming when we called.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've lost a number of beloved kitties to Diamondback Rattlesnakes. You almost never see the rattlers but they are around. When my neighbor's house was being built a couple of years ago he displaced a huge one that kept on hanging around for weeks despite Carlos the painter whacking him with a 2x4. And we have coyotes too!

So now we now have indoor cats, and kitty litter. Somehow I'm the designated pooper scooper in the house. As I'm typing this my little furry friend is leaving me a present...:poo:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well that can't be true. I see both here.
Sharing implies non-predation.

I don't consider rabbits and fox or coyotes "sharing" territory.
The fox and the coyote may be seen on the same lands, but they are not sharing. The fox is in hiding. ;-)

Sponsor