• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was right next to Rudi at the finish for a few minutes, but went roaming around trying to get some decent photos. It wasn't easy, but I found a few. I need to look at my start list and figure out who is who now that I am done editing, but here's one for now.
View attachment 33880
This is an awesome photo. It doesn’t matter who it is!

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Other bits of note:

First run is set by a Swiss coach, second by a Canadian coach. The first run set looks like it has a decent amount of rhythm on the finishing pitch, should play into Shiffrin's wheelhouse.

The sun is trying to break through, though snow continues to fall. The first round of snow was graupel, but it's now transitioned to proper flakes. There isn't a high likelihood of real accumulation, though 1/4 to 1/2 an inch is on the deck at the KSC Media Center.

Temperature is now decidedly sub-freezing.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@DoryBreaux, @ScotsSkier @Rudi Riet @epic can probably post more detail, but IIRC there are some fairly strict rules about the type of video and photography can be posted by official media during the event.
Photo is not a problem (except you need to be on FIS priority list to get course access (probably not really and issue overseas as there's less standard photographers, for locals to be issue to get to those few places available for on course access), but video is completely different thing. You need to pay for rights, and they will actually go and sue (and win as you signed you won't do video when getting accreditation) if you won't respect that. And prices for video rights are pretty damn high, so is money they will want from you if you break this rule (in Garmisch WCH few years ago, we had photo briefing day before start of WCH where guys from Eurovision told us if we break this rule, they are going to sue each any everyone for 150.000eur min. Not info that would make you comfortable pressing video button on your camera :D )
PS: This goes for those with accreditation, but I have zero idea what are rules for spectators with normal tickets. I guess not that harsh but most likely it still says somewhere in small print videos are not allowed.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
20171126_101302.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So,

Just a quick question. Anybody have an opinion as to whether sitting in the leader's "Audi Chair" during the first run is a bonus? MS sat there for another 60 skiers? Sat. Outside. In the cold and wind. And not in the old style box. Hope not.

It's tradition, FIS loves it for the TV. I have heard skiers knocked of the lead by a small margin who were glad to get inside, and go trough their normal routine, rather that sitting for 45 minutes or longer.

Has to be a big thrill....the first or second time, I think.

BTW. Fun first run! Hope for the best coming up.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
The wind seemed to become much more of a lottery after about the tenth skier. I didn't think Resort was gonna win or anything but she was one skier that had a major headwind and terrible visibility.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I was right next to Rudi at the finish for a few minutes, but went roaming around trying to get some decent photos. It wasn't easy, but I found a few. I need to look at my start list and figure out who is who now that I am done editing, but here's one for now.
View attachment 33880

This is an awesome photo. It doesn’t matter who it is!

My guess is Petra Vlhova by the stance but that’s just a shot in the dark (to light). ;) . Cool shot!

Bruner 4th again in GS. Hoping to see her move up to podium soon, her GS technique reminds me of Veith.

Just watched streaming first run SL, it cut off right during Lila Lapinjas run. Did she qualify?

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve lots of pics and video I will try to upload tonight..... just 35 minutes the the SL finals. We got in 3 Gondolas and a couple laps on Northridge Triple. Snow is decent up top. Time for some Lagunitas and WORLD CUP STOKE!! :beercheer::yahoo:

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a quick question. Anybody have an opinion as to whether sitting in the leader's "Audi Chair" during the first run is a bonus? MS sat there for another 60 skiers. Sat. Outside. In the cold and wind. And not in the old style box.

She was only there through the first 15, after which point they ushered her to interviews with ORF, EuroSport, and NBC Sports. Then she did a few more PR things (including a quick interview with Warner Nickerson), then worked the rope line signing autographs.

So not there for 60 racers - thank goodness!

First run observations:

Mikaela was out for blood today, and she executed. The only racer within shouting distance is Wendy Holdener (SUI), but at 0.89 seconds back it is a tough task to make that up. Bernadette Schild, Frida Handotter, and Petra Vlhova are all within 1.5 seconds, but that's still a lot of ground to make up.

Second course looks fairly similar to the first: a lot of swing up top, some rhythm coming into the finish, utilizing all the breakovers in the snow to present some challenge.

Mikaela Shiffrin after her finish (with a shot of Warner Nickerson in his "Team USA" Tipsy Elves one-piece).
38602497696_aebb9a3612_b.jpg

Resi Stiegler being interviewed.
26882591469_307d7f482b_c.jpg

A mini Rowmark Ski Academy reunion: me ('91), Hilary Lindh ('87) and Katie Hansein ('18). Today was Hansein's World Cup debut (only lasted about 10 gates before she straddled).
37940815484_24c288b058_b.jpg

Muleski

Inactive
Glad to here about the time in the chair!
Shows how easily I am fooled by NBC Sports.
HaHa. Watched it, kept seeing that video and thought "please tell me she's not sitting there the whole time!"

Glad she wasn't!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
FIS has an agreement with their US broadcasting partner that says they are the only ones allowed to capture any sort of moving images of the event. They can't really regulate Joe Blow who is just an observer from whipping out his phone and getting video, but if I had done so whilst shooting photos on the course? Ha. Don't think I would have ever been allowed near an FIS event again.
This does however make me wonder about a photographer using one of Sonys new cameras (specifically the A9) that shoots stills at near-video/cinema frame rates (20fps in electronic shutter mode). Technically all video is is a bunch of stills played back really fast. Or one of REDs cameras; they refer to them as DSMC- Digital Stills and Motion Camera.

whumber

Putting on skis
Skier
FIS has an agreement with their US broadcasting partner that says they are the only ones allowed to capture any sort of moving images of the event. They can't really regulate Joe Blow who is just an observer from whipping out his phone and getting video, but if I had done so whilst shooting photos on the course? Ha. Don't think I would have ever been allowed near an FIS event again.
This does however make me wonder about a photographer using one of Sonys new cameras (specifically the A9) that shoots stills at near-video/cinema frame rates (20fps in electronic shutter mode). Technically all video is is a bunch of stills played back really fast. Or one of REDs cameras; they refer to them as DSMC- Digital Stills and Motion Camera.

Ha, I have some 60 fps still sequences that I shot yesterday with an E-M1ii, better keep them hidden :).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@DoryBreaux it's not a problem about shooting video. We all do from time to time, if nothing else when going straight down whole top part of Val Gardena DH track with phone camera on to get to photo location. But problem is what you do with that video after that. If you keep it private it's no problem. If you put it out publicly, then you do have problem. I was actually talking with Ana when she was still media coordinator at FIS few years ago, and she said it's no problem to put that track thing to my FB (I still didn't though), but then again, noone cares about me going down the track anyway, what is problematic are inteviews with racers and stuff that could be used commercially (with this I mean news and/or real commercial usage).
@Muleski I feel even more sorry for guys and girls in xc. In alpine you are at least not super sweaty and wet on the end, so you put some clothes on and it's ok. Well, not as ok as sitting and resting inside of team hospitality tent, but at least you are sort of dry and warm. With xc, it's same procedure, you finish race (maybe with bib 20) get into lead, they put you into leaders chair, you can put some clothes on, but you really can't change all wet race clothes infront of TV camera (well some actually do), and then you sit there (even at -20c) until last one come (on World championships where you have all sort of people not belonging there this can be for few hours). It might look good for tv cameras, but it's definitely not great thing for racers.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've heard that it's firm and a little chalky, but far more solid than last year. The course prep crews are doing laps on Superstar right now to get the surface down to a smooth sheen. There's the outside chance of a little liquid precip tomorrow - a warm front has just moved in - so they want any anomalies out of the way. Luckily, it is forecast to freeze overnight.

The USST start list is deep for tomorrow, though only Shiffrin is in the top seed. Here's the full roster here - I've included FIS points and world rankings for a sense fo how much of a difference a few FIS points make:

DESROCHERS Rachael [14.60 (103)]
FORD Julia [27.20 (241)]
HENSIEN Katie [29.71 (345)]
KLOMHAUS Storm [17.04 (133)]
LAPANJA Lila [21.53 (202)]
MANGAN Patricia [16.47 (127)]
MCJAMES Megan [7.00 (39)]
MOLTZAN Paula [7.60 (43)]
O'BRIEN Nina [11.25 (63)]
PETERSON Foreste [8.98 (50)]
SHIFFRIN Mikaela [1.08 (2)]
STIEGLER Resi [28.33 (315)]