• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Spectating from a distance while skiing.

284028FE-71C9-4C8E-936A-6B7A22F93DCA.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes but it seems Steve’s experience is underutilized. The start house commentary are nice but he only gets about 20 seconds of airtime.
I noticed that too. And then his audio feed is garbeled more often than not.

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just guessing, but I think Porino is being groomed by NBC Sports to be their "man in the field" for every event in which they utilize him. For the past few years, he's been the guy on the back of a motorcycle in the midst of the Tour of California and the Tour de France, embedded and providing "insider" info. His role at ski races is similarly angled: be in the start area, report on the scuttlebutt that's going around.

The thing is: NBC wants to use a guy like Dan Hicks to provide a layman's perspective of ski racing, with Bode or [insert former USST athlete here] to be the person being more detailed. I think NBC fears pairing Porino and Miller together as they could go on tangents that are so technical (at least to the Joe Average U.S. viewer) that they'd lose viewership. Thus pairing an everyman announcer (it could be Hicks, or Al Trautwig, or Al Michaels, et al) with an experienced ski racer or ski coach: it allows some translation and some overly elementary questions.

Do I like it? No, but I'm not the average U.S. ski racing viewer - much as most PugSki members aren't your average viewers, either.

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a low level hobby racer, I enjoyed Bodie's commentary and liked the fact that he pointed out stuff that the average commentator wouldn't have. Hope he continues on.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I'm just guessing, but I think Porino is being groomed by NBC Sports to be their "man in the field" for every event in which they utilize him. For the past few years, he's been the guy on the back of a motorcycle in the midst of the Tour of California and the Tour de France, embedded and providing "insider" info. His role at ski races is similarly angled: be in the start area, report on the scuttlebutt that's going around.

The thing is: NBC wants to use a guy like Dan Hicks to provide a layman's perspective of ski racing, with Bode or [insert former USST athlete here] to be the person being more detailed. I think NBC fears pairing Porino and Miller together as they could go on tangents that are so technical (at least to the Joe Average U.S. viewer) that they'd lose viewership. Thus pairing an everyman announcer (it could be Hicks, or Al Trautwig, or Al Michaels, et al) with an experienced ski racer or ski coach: it allows some translation and some overly elementary questions.

Do I like it? No, but I'm not the average U.S. ski racing viewer - much as most PugSki members aren't your average viewers, either.

I understand. But these guys are not children and they're probably more hopeful about introducing ski racing the the general public than anyone else in the business. I'm carping, I wish they'd at least give him a chance. Of the lot of them Porino should be the senior announcer, not the underling. He's got the right amount of emotion, good knowledge, he can even pronounce all the odd foreign names. The normie jocks can't do this.

When Porino and Brandenberg called races, it was Porino who played the general sports adult to Brandenberg's noodling (he just wasn't very sharp and has a flat stoner Bro-surfer dude delivery).

Steve, Steve, Steve! lol

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I get what you guys are saying, but RARELY do the boss’s allow an analyst to take over the hosting duties. You get pigeon holed and you are in that position for the duration... That being said, I am hosting tonight :huh:

But there are not many Pat Sumerall’s out there.

Hicks is a very good broadcaster and is doing exactly as he is being produced to do. Lot’s more to things than what you may believe in that position. You are talking/leading to hard outs, reading promo material (I am swamped this week in promos) and other stuff that analysts are just not comfortable doing. Being totally honest, I get super nervous reading promos.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
One needs to be able to announce too though. Meaning make the call exciting. I liked Tim Ryan in that role.
The guy who called the cross country races in Sochi was amazing. That's like watching grass grow to me but he made it exciting.

Christin Cooper drives me nuts. The Chris Collingswood (blech) of ski racing.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was right next to Rudi at the finish for a few minutes, but went roaming around trying to get some decent photos. It wasn't easy, but I found a few. I need to look at my start list and figure out who is who now that I am done editing, but here's one for now.
DSC_7452.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil and I are stoked to have Rudi and Epic at this event representing Pugski.

Someone please get some vid!!! :beercheer:
@DoryBreaux, @ScotsSkier @Rudi Riet @epic can probably post more detail, but IIRC there are some fairly strict rules about the type of video and photography can be posted by official media during the event.

Reporting from the Media Center, where I'm surrounded by Agence France Press journalists....

The GS course is set for tomorrow, and hill prep crews are working their magic. Most athletes have called it a day, though some are still banging the gates on Skye Lark.

A couple of pics for y'all to get a taste of things:

"I guess I'm here..."

38564340886_24deee59ed_b.jpg

Superstar from the KSC Media Center windows:

26844612649_406abb02a1_b.jpg

I was right next to Rudi at the finish for a few minutes, but went roaming around trying to get some decent photos. It wasn't easy, but I found a few. I need to look at my start list and figure out who is who now that I am done editing, but here's one for now.
View attachment 33880
Thanks for representing!

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Winter has moved back into Killington, as the temperature is diving with the northwest wind (down to 24F by second run start). Snow has moved in, too, though it looks to be clearing as we approach the first run start time.

The surface should be more firm than it was yesterday. I’m sure the athletes approve of this.

A quick rundown of some key starts:

1. Frida HANSDOTTER (SWE)
2. Petra VLHOVA (SVK)
3. Bernadette SCHILD (AUT)
4. Nina HAVER-LOESETH (NOR)
5. Mikaela SHIFFRIN (USA)
6. Wendy HOLDENER (SUI)
7. Emelie WICKSTROEM (SWE)
16. Resi STIEGLER (USA)
17. Marie-Michele GAGNON (CAN)
23. Erin MIELZYNSKI (CAN)
43. Alex TILLEY (GBR)