• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cover Me: Best cover songs, some better than the original?

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wrote a bunch of stuff and then deleted it. I should just ignore this thread, it often makes me ill and regurgitating my dyspepsia isn't fair to others.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting cover that I like. So. Cal reggae band Safety Orange combined covers of Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry" with Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird". I think it works!

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lol :roflmao:

@Popeye Cahn how’s this work for ya? ogwink:ogbiggrin:

Oy.

I'm a big Stones fan, but I find that their live performances are best enjoyed in situ (which I was not able to do this non-tour). Ms. Swift is a talented performer but this is some cringey viewing for me (same with the Scorese flick that had Jack White and Christina Aguilara singing songs), plus I don't care much for her voice.

The problem here is that I spent a good part of my life playing music and recording others making it, so I have a high bar when it comes to performances and what my mind has in it's memory banks.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know if this is technically a cover, but the first video is Ben Gibbard, who wrote the song.

And...

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I am simply not worthy to hear/watch these incredible performances if there is music in Heaven, these people were made in the image and likeness of God.

This music proves the existence of the soul.

cbk, you are clearly deeper than me.

Thank you.

Please keep sharing.

Following your cookie crumbs . . .

OK, since you insist... (Note: Vinny and Tal pretty much kick total ass here as well...)

Jeff Beck doing John Mclaughlin's (Mahavishnu Orchestra) Eternity's Breath...

Jeff Beck doing Billy Cobham's Stratus...

Deeper? Not really, but I did have the mind-blowing, life altering experience of seeing John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra doing Birds Of Fire the summer before my senior year in high school. I never looked at music the same way after that again...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jeff Beck! So fortunate to see both during their heyday & beyond. Even Santana & McLaughlin together at the Berkeley Community Theate.
Here they are covering John Coltrane in more recent times...

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jeff Beck!

I saw Jeff Beck on the Wired tour (Blue Wind!) and got to see Carlos Santana several times in San Diego...

Here's a good one for you: Rachel Flowers (look her up, what an amazing story!) playing Boston's Foreplay / Long TIme...

... and how about Bruce Hornsby's "The Way It Is"...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
I like Miley... but not that particular cover for some reason. Maybe because I really liked the original... or maybe because this one was popular a couple of years ago, with a similar take on it:

Sponsor

Staff online