• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cover Me: Best cover songs, some better than the original?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Joe Cocker covering Dave Mason's Feeling Alright:

John Belishi with Joe Cocker covering Dave Mason's Feeling Alright:

I saw Joe perform Feeling Alright opening for Steve Winwood back in the '80s (IIRC). I'm going to see Dave Mason this October. I have got to believe that he'll perform it, too. :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The cover...

The original...

I actually like the original version better, but the cover has special meaning to me as I saw Del playing the song at Copper Country a few years back. I had gone for drinks and as I returned I walked back to my GF, he was talking to her from the stage and asked me what I was doing leaving such a wonderful red head alone. I shrugged and held up the beverages as he started up his version of the song.

I just saw Del and his band with Widespread. He performed the song again but sadly there is no longer a redheaded GF in my life.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Funny... but clearly not a cover. Even the lawsuit doesn't claim it's a cover. (And FWIW, I think Perry should have won the lawsuit.)
I'd be more willing to agree if it weren't for the fact that she grew up in a family immersed in that music. I heard her parents are evangelical preachers or something like that. If not for that the coincidence probability would be way higher..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be more willing to agree if it weren't for the fact that she grew up in a family immersed in that music. I heard her parents are evangelical preachers or something like that. If not for that the coincidence probability would be way higher..
I would argue that it doesn't matter if she (or her co-writers) had heard it before or not. It's not enough of a significant portion of the song, and not exact enough a copy, to constitute losing the lawsuit. IMO.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would argue that it doesn't matter if she (or her co-writers) had heard it before or not. It's not enough of a significant portion of the song, and not exact enough a copy, to constitute losing the lawsuit. IMO.
Well the judge and highly trained expert of how much or how little similarity constitutes IP theft said otherwise. Regardless, her version was quite a bit better. I think if you copy something but make it significantly better on some objectively measurable level or public opinion poll you shouldn't be penalized. Innovation is still innovation even if built on some previously existing product.. If this was copied it was done "better than the original"..

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

Well the judge and highly trained expert of how much or how little similarity constitutes IP theft said otherwise. Regardless, her version was quite a bit better. I think if you copy something but make it significantly better on some objectively measurable level or public opinion poll you shouldn't be penalized. Innovation is still innovation even if built on some previously existing product.. If this was copied it was done "better than the original"..
t an

The wanna-be guitarist in me is fascinated by Rick Bento's YouTube video's about music. Here is his take on the Perry Lawsuit judgement and why is is wrong.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Nice. I have that album and Lark's Tongue. Vinyl of course.

A 'cover' of sorts. Back in '76 I had my GF paint the cover from Lark's Tongue In Aspic on my helmet.

220px-Larks_tongues_in_aspic_album_cover.jpg

bariloche_1_lg.jpg
That's the best image I have of the helmet. Kind of sad. It was a 38 pt FIS result, though. :)

The irony is I 'debuted' the helmet in Argentina and I had no clue of the resemblance to the Argentinian national flag.
Flag_of_Argentina.svg

Given the unrest in Argentina at the time, I was surprised it wasn't mis-construed by those in 'power'. Military all over the place. A kid in our race camp was hauled into the station for having 'too long hair'.

Sponsor

Staff online