• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cover Me: Best cover songs, some better than the original?

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
I'm a big fan of the talking heads but when phish used to cover it back in their prime (90-98) they would take it to the next level instrumentally. Voice isn't as clean since it's not studio but this is a pretty good one for sound quality

Dionne Warwick got nothin on Aretha!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Late to the party (don't know how I missed this thread), but THIS is one of my favorite covers, played by the King of Distortion Guitar!

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Elton John said, "I was so blown away by the version of 'Yellow Brick Road'. I’ve never heard anyone sing one of my songs like that, ever. I can’t thank you enough for giving your time and blowing my mind with that version because when someone sings your songs they usually copy you and she made it her own. That’s brilliant. It’s a hard song.”

James

Out There
Instructor
Well today is Sunday.
Natalie Merchant covers Morissey, 1994.

Chrissie Hynde/Pretenders

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Elton John said, "I was so blown away by the version of 'Yellow Brick Road'. I’ve never heard anyone sing one of my songs like that, ever. I can’t thank you enough for giving your time and blowing my mind with that version because when someone sings your songs they usually copy you and she made it her own. That’s brilliant. It’s a hard song.”

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

James

Out There
Instructor
Not exactly a cover, but covering the original music.
Eleanor Rigby instrumental improv
Jerry Garcia Band, 1980 Oswego, NY

A testament to how good the original melody worked with the lyrics/singing style. You hear the notes and hear the words. Then they improvise, eventually it turned into After Midnight. It gets cut off around 5:30 and jumps. . Someone who knows music could explain things better. I heard a better recording of this many years ago and it stuck in the brain.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty awesome version of Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane" by Roxy Music

James

Out There
Instructor
Woodstock
Original written in 1969 by Joni Mitchell
1970 Solo piano.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young. released 1970

Ian (Iain) Matthews, released 1970
#1 in the UK

Scottish band Big Country, 1993

Spin Doctors, 1994

Richard Thompson, solo acoustic, 2000. Joni Mitchell Tribute Concert
Stone Temple Pilots were supposed to do this song but the singer lost his voice. I think Thompson would have played this with Ian Matthews in 1970.
IMG_6392.PNG
I think that's him on the right.

This was posted in the youtube comments.
--------
+bountybar ...Here's what he said in his interview with Guitar Player:

Guitar Player: When you did “Woodstock” at a Joni Mitchell tribute concert you made it your own. What was that process?
RT: I did it on a half-hour’s notice because the person scheduled to do it dropped out. The only way I could hear to do it that quickly was a DADGAD tuning, turning it into a British traditional modal thing.
---------------

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Surprised this one didn't get a mention yet: Stevie Ray Vaughan covering Jimi's Little Wing, that's if you can call turning a 2 min song into a 6 min instrumental a cover - a homage perhaps?
Note: doesn't sound great on crappy computer speakers