• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cover Me: Best cover songs, some better than the original?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm up to the "M"s in the music files playing in the car.. I'd forgotten Metallica did a cover of this one.. Not posting the link, highly non family friendl;y content but funny as hell hahaha!
"So What?" is a song written by the British punk band the Anti-Nowhere League. The song first appeared as the B-side of the band's debut 7" single "Streets of London", in 1981.

I think Black Flag also did it IIRC..

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Sid Vicious cover

So anyone besides Seth Morrison and myself like the Sex Pistols? I know this isn't a Sex Pistol's song per say, and that Sid was only in the band a brief time and not really even a bass player.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have some Sex Pistols, but prefer Ramones, DKs, Clash.

Not big on Black Flag either but like Rollins' solo. How about Jim Carroll Band?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the "people who died, died" song.

Really like the Ramones.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is a cover question so just bare with me on this. If a song writer lets another artist record one of their songs that they wrote first and it becomes a hit and then years later that song writer decides to record that same song and it also becomes a hit is it really a cover if they wrote the song and they own it? Share what you think please.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I figured for sure this one would have been posted by now, but unless my use of the search function is not up to snuff, somehow this was missed.

The correct answer is Janis Joplin's Me and Bobby McGee:

Roger Miller (who first recorded it) and Kris Kristofferson (who wrote it) were no slouches, but I mean come on.

Miller:

Kristofferson:

Oh, and while we're on the topic of this song, while this still doesn't touch Janis, I was blown away by how well Pink covered it:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a cover question so just bare with me on this. If a song writer lets another artist record one of their songs that they wrote first and it becomes a hit and then years later that song writer decides to record that same song and it also becomes a hit is it really a cover if they wrote the song and they own it? Share what you think please.
Are you asking, if you wrote a song, I recorded it, then you recorded it, are you covering me? Can you give an example?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Are you asking, if you wrote a song, I recorded it, then you recorded it, are you covering me? Can you give an example?
Carole King wrote many songs recorded by other artists first. Years later she recorded the same songs (her own songs) that also became hits. In my thinking it is not a cover if it is their song to begin with.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Still chewing through the "M"s in my current car music list. This one played today. I'd forgotten they covered this..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
And now in to the "P"s. Dayum, I hadn't listened to this entire album, (Mama Afrika) since college. Its a really good album IMO. Mystic man's also really good.

Sponsor