• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Counter-balancing Exercises?

SilverGaper

Booting up
Skier
Hi Peeps,

What are some of you preferred gym routines for counter-balancing exercises/flexibility??

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
For balance and flexibility there must be a hundred choices, or maybe a thousand. Find a routine that works for you, for what you're starting with, and you're able to accomplish with moderate effort. Nothing too easy and nothing too tough. For exercises that one normally does standing on the floor, try doing them while standing on one or two inflatable balancing discs or thick foam balancing pad. Either costs less than $20. Working on the unstable surface causes the small muscles that are the balance actuators to start working. Think of balance as the inner ear and eyes as the sensors, and the small muscles as the actuators. A physical therapist had me doing lunges with the front foot on a balance disc. Double bullseye--muscle work and balance work.

As Noodler says, core exercises allow one to get into and out of counterbalancing positions. Abs, back, obliques, work them all. And as he says, work front & back, work left & right, work inner & outer.

Yoga is great. Can you find a regular yoga group that is a level you can work with?

There is one great routine that will cost some money. It sounds weird, but two people I know have results so good that they're visible as they just walk, much less do anything more active. Gyrotonics. (Yep, sounds weird.) Dancers use it to recover from injuries. A friend with a congenital back problem has had the best results of any of the other things she's tried, and she's tried many. https://www.gyrotonic.com/

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I should add that hip abduction and adduction are usually missed/skipped by a lot of skiers, but I'm finding that strengthening those muscles make a big difference in being able to handle the stress/pressure of counterbalancing movements.

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
PSIA recently released this
Co-authored by Chris Fellows and Doug Kechijian from Resilient Performance PT. Chris is ex demo team member and the founder of NASTC and Doug is an amazing physical therapist and trainer, who in 15 minutes did more for me than countless hours of physical therapy over the years.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moving to Physical Fitness forum

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lots of impromptu dance parties around the house including but not limited to Hip Hop, Ballet, Belly Dancing... make it up as you go! :yahoo:
What??? No pole dancing????

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
I go dancing in the summer. Also I asked a fitness trainer in my local gym for advice on fitness routines for skiers. Her advice was “Do lots of lunges and focus on core exercises too”. So now I incorporate those into my routine at the gym. Focus on your lower body as well. I find that exercises like squats are best for skiers. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ould-be-doing-if-youre-hitting-the-slopes/amp

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
I should add that hip abduction and adduction are usually missed/skipped by a lot of skiers, but I'm finding that strengthening those muscles make a big difference in being able to handle the stress/pressure of counterbalancing movements.
this is SO true. I do lots and lots of compound movement and can squat and DL and bench and lots of core work. But my internal rotation is poor; if I don’t do my physio my toes will shake and be exhausted after just a few toe rotations in.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
this is SO true. I do lots and lots of compound movement and can squat and DL and bench and lots of core work. But my internal rotation is poor; if I don’t do my physio my toes will shake and be exhausted after just a few toe rotations in.

Eh, start skating :) Imagine bodyweight adduction / abduction at a whole range of knee angles. :)

Uphill swizzles for the ultimate win. Side :) benefit : built in IT band protection.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online