• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Costco and Sam's Club, how I love thee....

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If I have pizza in Oakland or Berkeley, it's usually Zachary's Chicago Pizza. It's not quite as good as pizza in Chicago, but it's pretty good. And I like their thin crust pizza too.

Some day, I'll go to NYC and have the real deal...what is it that makes it so good?
It is the water in the NYC and NJ that makes the dough so special and the homemade sauce, made from Jersey tomatoes.

Uncle-A

Skier
For the record, this is my phone home screen - Joe's Pizza. Before moving to the Bay Area, I grew up in NJ and after college, I lived in NYC for 11 years. So I know my slice. I have pizza cred.

View attachment 69782
I don't remember if I asked you, what part of Jersey did you grow up?

Uncle-A

Skier
I think we have thread drift, I started on page 4 about Costco Cauliflower pizza and now we are on page 8 all about pizza. Do you think we have some strong opinions on pizza? I am surprised no one brought up Buffalo chicken pizza, but that is a different food entirely.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We have some pretty damn good pizza in southwestern CT too. Vermont is an adjustment in that vein. In Vermont we buy fixing at the store and make pizza at the condo. There's a BJ's right in our town in CT so we go there for convenience as I can literally run in there for 1 thing on my way home sometimes. We have a Costco a few towns away but not as convenient. Drawback for Costco used to be that they only took Amex and bank debit cards whereas BJ's takes any credit card and you can use manufacturer coupons in addition to BJ ones.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Drawback for Costco used to be that they only took Amex and bank debit cards whereas BJ's takes any credit card and you can use manufacturer coupons in addition to BJ ones.

Right, Costco does not take Mastercard but thy take Visa. Pain in my butt since my credit cards mysteriously all switched to MasterCard over the last handful of years. Debit card and no points it is.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We have 1 Costco in the whole state. It’s about 60 min away and the lines and parking are out of control. The closest Sams club is about 90 min and it’s no less zoo-ish than the Costco.

My tangent...

I consider us fairly lucky as we get our meat from a local guy that delivers to our house. We call him with an order and his wife drops it off on her way to work, we just leave cash in the cooler to her. It’s frozen, but at least we know where it’s from and during the summer our kids go see the cows.

We pick and freeze berries to last us thru the year ever summer, we have 3 freezers. In the fall we pick apples, can some for apple pie and make a bunch of apple sauce for the kids. She cans tomatoes and freezes other veggies for the winter/spring. We use our own honey & maple syrup for our sweeteners. My wife’s trades our maple syrup for the goat milk soaps we use around the house. We get our dairy (yogurt, milk, cream) from a local farm that uses no hormones or antibiotics and has free range dairy cows.

For paper products (paper towels, toilet paper, etc) she gets it from Boxed.com along with other household staples. Other household things come from Vitacost.com

We roast our own coffee to get us thru the year, some are roasted with honey & maple syrup. We buy 2, sacks of green beans a year and blend them.

For us, she will go to Costco 2x a year when her folks comes to visit as they insist on the preservative enhanced breakfast cake thing from the Costco bakery everyday, If they don’t have that breakfast cake all we hear are complaints. But they also refuse to eat local beef when they visit. So we buy them the carbon monoxide filled packaged ground beef from Walmart when they come as they insist on burgers & cheese curls during the July visit.

As I mentioned we are lucky to have local sources of food & produce that can be had at reasonable prices.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well Costco has decided to grace us locally with a warehouse. There is one about 1 hour away and I just spend $335 yesterday there. Mostly staples etc, 1 book for a change. Frozen meat only this trip. Still stocked on beef, roast, steaks and pork back ribs....

Mastercard is accepted in Canada. It used to be Amex, so debit was all I could do. That might have been better as there was a limit as to what was in the bank to pay with. But now I get Air Miles with my Costco purchases from the MC.

Probably be a year before it's open, but better than the 1 hour drive.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got some mini crab cakes during the pre-holiday sales. Now warmed after a colder morning of skiing make this crab lover delectable a surprise treat. Wasn't expecting anything this yummy from a frozen crab dish.

Attachments

• IMG_20191229_122128.jpg
    IMG_20191229_122128.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20191229_122052.jpg
    IMG_20191229_122052.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 5

Uncle-A

Skier
Got some mini crab cakes during the pre-holiday sales. Now warmed after a colder morning of skiing make this crab lover delectable a surprise treat. Wasn't expecting anything this yummy from a frozen crab dish.
They look good, you should also try the scallops wrapped in beacon. They are usually only available around the holidays.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a nice waterproof rain jacket-32 degrees-for $10. It's nice and light and bundles up to nothing and has 2 zippered pockets and a hood. Fabric is stretchy and breathable. It seems pretty solid and for $10 you can't go wrong. It's finally sunny out here, but I'll check it out next time it rains.
Normally $20, but on sale this month.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I got a nice waterproof rain jacket-32 degrees-for $10. It's nice and light and bundles up to nothing and has 2 zippered pockets and a hood. Fabric is stretchy and breathable. It seems pretty solid and for $10 you can't go wrong. It's finally sunny out here, but I'll check it out next time it rains.
Normally $20, but on sale this month.
I've got 2 of those shells for me and one for my wife. I keep one in my truck for work and one at home. So far they have been more waterproof than the packable Marmot shells they replaced. I've also bought several other 32 Degrees pieces over the past few years. A heavy zip up fleece, a waterproof, insulated, hooded jacket and 4 sets of base layers. So far everything has held up well and performed as or better than expected.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got 2 of those shells for me and one for my wife. I keep one in my truck for work and one at home. So far they have been more waterproof than the packable Marmot shells they replaced. I've also bought several other 32 Degrees pieces over the past few years. A heavy zip up fleece, a waterproof, insulated, hooded jacket and 4 sets of base layers. So far everything has held up well and performed as or better than expected.
I have several items including base layers and undies. Good stuff. I got the base layer pants because they were super cheap and I wanted to cut the legs to make them short enough to keep out of my boots without scrunching them up. That was three seasons ago and they still haven't unraveled.

Sponsor

Staff online