• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Before I was born in the seventies my Mom worked at a GM plant while going to college. I guess my grandfather knew someone there and they needed to hire a woman for the assembly line. Imagine an entry level job paying $20/hour plus overtime in the seventies. Once the oil crisis hit they closed the Framingham, MA plant and she lost the job. Don't know if they used torx or phillips back then but they sure paid well.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Liquid wrench and a acetylene torch also help. Just not at the same time. :eek: :D

What, and ruin the fun?

Re: Torx/Robertson: I'm used to sending items from my facility to the States for work. I always make sure to include a few square heads and envision the cursing when the boxes arrive. :decisions:

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug now you need to make this.

26195971_893067564200483_2095804713808413572_n.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw something like that years ago in Popular Mechanics and it always has stuck in the back of my mind to do.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

This looks good, only one thought, the bottom part that holds the drills ( the four verticals ) are plywood and have very poor end grain screw retention. They might be better if they were standard boards that have better screw retention to hold the weight of the drills, other wise it is a great project.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This looks good, only one thought, the bottom part that holds the drills ( the four verticals ) are plywood and have very poor end grain screw retention. They might be better if they were standard boards that have better screw retention to hold the weight of the drills, other wise it is a great project.

To be clear, I didn't make this, just was in one of my feeds. Personally I probably would dado it. I would hope people would use a good woodworking glue besides the screws. If you search on cordless drill cabinets you can many different types.

With my current setup, something like this will make its way in shop, but probably in a customized cabinet.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It was a Father's Day gift, and I was lucky to get it.

All better now, though.
Fathers Day gifts are always great because they are gifts of love. Good luck with the new drill.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
No, they just want you to do more work for them. :duck::D

I'll throw one of those tomatoes. ogwink

My wife is a hon. She knows better than to ask me to build stuff. Last thing I built was a mortise-and-tenon picket fence. Took me five years; we almost divorced over it. Now we live in low-expectations bliss.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'll throw one of those tomatoes. ogwink

My wife is a hon. She knows better than to ask me to build stuff. Last thing I built was a mortise-and-tenon picket fence. Took me five years; we almost divorced over it. Now we live in low-expectations bliss.

Herself very obviously missed your gist here. She read your post and immediately announced that it would be great if I did more. Could you please clarify or amplify or something so that other readers' others don't get ideas?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Herself very obviously missed your gist here. She read your post and immediately announced that it would be great if I did more. Could you please clarify or amplify or something so that other readers' others don't get ideas?

Oh, sure. It's like this: She realized that she'd rather live in marital bliss than rely on my non-existent handiness (or, anyway, not very existent — the fence is pretty nice, though I never got around to building a gate). So she doesn't expect me to do anything that I'm not intended by nature to do.

I mean, I wax skis. I edit texts and help write letters of recommendation (she struggles with it; I fall off logs). I shop, cook, do dishes and laundry. I work at a job. I do the father bit. I function as a relatively inexpensive in-house therapist and confidant. But I do not do building projects (much — only when the spirit moves, and it only moves when I can clearly envision the job and the conclusion).

Because she doesn't expect Mr. Handy Husband, she gets what she expects, and is pleased with what she does have. Goes both ways, of course. I don't expect what she isn't, and that makes all her wonderful qualities (which are multitudinous) shine, shine, shine.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier

I shared this pic with one of the other coaches who makes cabinets for a living. He came back just over an hour later with this:
upload_2018-1-13_20-27-22.png

a2c081d7-4a5b-44a0-806c-e7b75a703f96

upload_2018-1-13_20-25-42.png

You can see the detail for the drill holder better here. This way we don't have to remove the bits.

Next is another one for all the radios and chargers.

Helps to have a CNC machine.

Ken

DutchSki

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For cordless roto-brushing anyone using impact drivers to get RPM numbers closer to a corded setup (up to 3500)? Was looking at getting this $99 Makita set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074BHJQB3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 that includes charger and battery as my travel setup. To connect the brush I would use a 1/4 HEX to drill mount converter. Really like the RPM and the size of the driver compared to a cordless drill, anyone has this setup or just stay with a drill?

Last edited: