• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thinking about just starting with two of these since I need 2 drills. DeWalt DCD777C2 20V Brushless

I have been using the dewalts for a couple of years now, the previous version of this the 771 and the impact driver. I Use them for my gate drill as well and they seem to have done pretty well. Seriously looking at the brushless one now, 791 i think, since I am stocked with batteries and chargers. Only problem is all our other coaches use akita so i need to make sure i have spare batteries in my pack!!:(

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Dewalt is $99.00, the Milwaukee M18 is $20.00 more. Worth it?

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Milwaukee has a better warranty.. if that matters to you.. 5 years on tool and battery.. dewalt is 3 years on tool and 2 years (i think) on battery

update.. maybe 5 years on tool and 3 on battery.. maybe a US / Canada thing i'm seeing..

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Milwaukee has a better warranty.. if that matters to you.. 5 years on tool and battery.. dewalt is 3 years on tool and 2 years (i think) on battery
Milwaukee is 3 on battery now

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
The Dewalt is $99.00, the Milwaukee M18 is $20.00 more. Worth it?

I used to have nothing but 18v DeWalt cordless tools but I finially got sick of replacing the batteries on them and switched over to all Milwaukee cordless power tools and I've yet to replace a battery and I've had my Milwaukee stuff for over 5 yrs now. I've had Milwaukee corded power tools, some of them well over 20 yrs, and they've been excellent too.

FWIW, the only time I use a cordless drill for roto brushing is when I'm traveling, I much prefer to use electric drills because they have much higher RPM's. Granted, you don't need the higher RPM's for any of the metal roto brushes but I rarely use a brass or steel roto brush.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I use the both Makita 18V and Craftsman 12V (Milwaukee Made for Sears). They are the Lithium batteries and recharge in 30 minutes. I like them a lot and the Makita Impact I have used on Lug Nuts but ALWAYS go back and check with a star lug wrench. The Craftsman 12V made by Milwaukee does everything I need for mounting bindings and around the home but does not do Lug Nuts. I also have a Craftsman 12V Milwaukee made 90 degree angle impact that works great. But the reverse switch is too easy to go from forward to reverse if I tilt it sideways it can slide into reverse without touching it. I am told they have fixed the issue but do not have a newer one to test. My only thought about the Sears is I am not sure how long they are going to be in business and they have sold off the hand tools division if not all the tools. Someone in the thread talked about Ryobi, I have not used their tools but I did sell their fishing reels and they had a LOT of returns from my customers. All with bad gears inside the reel so I am not a fan of their product.
These are the two 18V Makita cordless units I have. The top is 1/2 inch drill and roto hammer the bottom is the impact driver that is very powerful I have used it on Lug Nuts, must go back and check by hand. The 1/2 inch drill/roto hammer is a bit heavy but with the correct bit it goes through anything I have run into. I will try to get photos of my Craftsman 12V set over the weekend they are at the other house.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just in time. I know what I am doing tomorrow...

23622499_1509692322455033_5741940869844049815_n.jpg

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I am thinking about just starting with two of these since I need 2 drills. DeWalt DCD777C2 20V Brushless

Dewalt! Great drills. The brushless designs are supposed to be 30% more power efficient. Despite that, I'd spring for a 3AH (or higher) battery. The standard 1.5AH batteries (often bundled with the tools) deplete quickly on drills.

I've done a number of big projects where I used both Dewalt's 20v Max impact drill/driver and a 20V Max drill. I use the 1.5AH batteries on the impact driver and the 3 (or 5) AH batteries on the drill. The 1.5AH batteries last a reasonable while on the impact driver - but the drill (not brushless) sucks them dry pretty quickly.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
A friend worked at The Home Depot. He said to find what you like, then ask if they have one without the box to sell at a good discount. They may have a display model, or the box was damaged, and they won't sell those at full price. It'll have the full warranty.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
These are the two 18V Makita cordless units I have. The top is 1/2 inch drill and roto hammer the bottom is the impact driver that is very powerful I have used it on Lug Nuts, must go back and check by hand. The 1/2 inch drill/roto hammer is a bit heavy but with the correct bit it goes through anything I have run into. I will try to get photos of my Craftsman 12V set over the weekend they are at the other house.
These are my Sears made by Milwaukee set. They have been good tools for me, light, powerful and did what was asked of them. When I had to rebuild my shore house after Super Storm Sandy they helped drive screws for all the drywall in the repair and repair kitchen cabinets etc.. The 90 degree angle fit into many places that the drill would not fit and has an impact feature that drives the longest screws. Yes, I have used them to mount bindings as well. As stated in earlier posts the reverse switch of the 90 degree angle drill is a slight issue but It should be fixed now.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
These are my Sears made by Milwaukee set. They have been good tools for me, light, powerful and did what was asked of them. When I had to rebuild my shore house after Super Storm Sandy they helped drive screws for all the drywall in the repair and repair kitchen cabinets etc.. The 90 degree angle fit into many places that the drill would not fit and has an impact feature that drives the longest screws. Yes, I have used them to mount bindings as well. As stated in earlier posts the reverse switch of the 90 degree angle drill is a slight issue but It should be fixed now.

I have that drill too. I refer to it as my girly drill since it is so small and light. But she packs a punch. Highly recommended.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
I have a Ridgid 18 volt. I bought a drill and impact driver combo because it came with a lifetime free battery replacement

This.

I don't own anything from Ridgid, having just upgraded my hand tools. But, if anything fails, I will be giving them a try.

My quiver is mostly yellow and black and I have never had an issue. Life changed when I bought the impact, driving Canadian screws now much, much easier!

Sponsor

Staff online