• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Copper mugs and other non glass drinking vessels

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are many different drink vessels for a variety of specific drinks.

Copper Moscow Mule Mugs
3098309_1.jpg

Silver or Pewter Mint Julep cups
lb-90372-lg_1.jpg

These beverages seem to taste better when we drink from their intended vessel, but some reports are saying that the quality of the cup and the way its lined can make the difference between enjoying your beverage and getting sick from your indulgence. More specifically, your Moscow Mule Mug.
The state of Iowa is making changes in regulations for the food and beverage industry to assure that consumers are sipping from the right kind of cup
See this story
The state health officials concluded that using the signature mug for alcoholic beverages - or any food or liquid with a pH balance of below 6 - could result in food poisoning or copper poisoning, which can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and jaundice.

Going even further, the state of Iowa has declared that they will follow an FDA code on copper mugs, which “prohibits copper from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0.”

What falls below a pH of 6.0? Wine, as well as vinegar, fruit juice, and pretty much all of the ingredients that make up a Moscow mule - vodka, ginger beer and lime juice.

In a statement from the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division, they assert that:

“High concentrations of copper are poisonous and have caused foodborne illness. When copper and copper allow surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food.”

Fortunately for Moscow mule enthusiasts - there is a way to indulge in the beverage with the unique copper cup. According to the same statement, liquids from copper mugs with an inner lining of nickel, stainless steel or another metal are safe to consume.

Call it a true silver lining.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't get ill from sipping tequila out of co-eds' belly buttons in college. I'm not worried about copper mugs.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a souvenir silicone pint glass from Mt. Bachelor a few years back. Thing is indestructible and I don't think it has any toxic properties as a drinking vessel. Looks like this one in a photo I stole from the web:
photo-2.jpg

It's fine for soft drinks, but there is just something unappealing about drinking beer from it.:huh: Haven't tried it for a mint julep;)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The issue of only arises if you drink to much at which point alcoholism may also be an issue :rolleyes: and then again in an alcoholic stubor who cares anyway:beercheer:.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I have a set of 4 Moscow mule mugs with silver linings, but must admit I've never used them. With that said, isn't the vast majority of residential and perhaps even commercial supply plumbing made out of copper pipe? Granted, the pH of water is not below 6, but still.

On the list of things that may lead to my arguably premature demise, I think copper doesn't even make it on to the first couple of pages. But ... to be on the extra safe side, I will go back to drinking my favored brown liquor direct from the glass bottle.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I have a set of 4 Moscow mule mugs with silver linings, but must admit I've never used them. With that said, isn't the vast majority of residential and perhaps even commercial supply plumbing made out of copper pipe? Granted, the pH of water is not below 6, but still.
And until just a little while ago, it was soldered together with LEAD!! Oh the humanity.... Anything pre 1990ish likely has lead solder joining the pipes.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20170828_161052_HDR_resized.jpg

I have these retro aluminum glasses . Perfect for the hot tub. Fill with ice. Fill in the remaining space with whisky. Also good for the bus ride home from the ski hill. Unbreakable.
And they are anodized, so I don't need to worry about acquiring Alzheimers. I think , anyways. After a few whiskies, I sometimes display symptoms of the early onset alzheimers.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
, I will go back to drinking my favored brown liquor direct from the glass bottle.
It is a single serve bottle. :)