• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Heard some news that the goal is to have American Eagle operating on Monday the 18th. Second hand information so don't take it as gospel and note the word "goal" in that sentence!
No flipping way...they don't even have the cable up yet. They have to hang the cable, splice it, adjust the sheaves, put on the chairs and gondola cabins, load test it, have ski patrol run evacuation protocols, and fix any punch list items before they can get it certified. At this point I'll be shocked if they can get it done by Dec 1st.

Copper is getting royally screwed over by Leitner Poma but I guess that's what happens when you decide to build two new lifts at the last second.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Webcams_-_Center_Village.jpg
https://www.coppercolorado.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain/center-village-hd-cam

Looks like they are busy working up there getting ready to install that important europian part. Which goes on first, the motor or the haul rope?

How much will skiing be impacted by stringing the haul rope and load testing? Not much daylight outside of skiing hours these days.

In other news, looks like the superpipe is about ready. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how quickly they can make a ton of snow when the conditions are right.

Edit: Hey @Lift Blog , hope you have a post coming about this! Any precedent to installing lifts this late in the season when a ski area is open?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 58008
https://www.coppercolorado.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain/center-village-hd-cam

Looks like they are busy working up there getting ready to install that important europian part. Which goes on first, the motor or the haul rope?

How much will skiing be impacted by stringing the haul rope and load testing? Not much daylight outside of skiing hours these days.

In other news, looks like the superpipe is about ready. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how quickly they can make a ton of snow when the conditions are right.

Edit: Hey @Lift Blog , hope you have a post coming about this! Any precedent to installing lifts this late in the season when a ski area is open?
The motor is up top on both lifts

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
View attachment 58008

I will do a post on the new lifts after they are finished! Yes, there are plenty of places that have installed lifts in the snow. I remember the Crystal Mountain gondola didn't open until January when that was my home mountain. Marble Mountain in Newfoundland once ordered a lift in September and it opened in March.

The lift manufacturers went from what looked like an average year to the biggest in a decade over the course of a few spring months. Both Doppelmayr and L-P are absolutely slammed and finishing lifts as fast as they can. There will be a lot of December load tests this year. That's what happens when big lifts are signed for late. Loveland ordered a year in advance and they were up and running in early October. No one keeps a direct drive for a 10,000 foot lift on the shelf.

Luckily Copper has Super Bee and Union Creek options. Everyone should try to be patient and look forward to enjoying two of the finest lifts money can buy in a few short weeks.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh no. I noticed it wasn’t spinning on the webcam at the end of the day. Yikes.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pix of World Cup skiers being evacuated off a lift the other day were on Instagram. Wonder if it was Super Bee?
Edit: this intel came from a 17 year old so take it with a grain of salt....

Last edited:

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Ironically a gear box problem which is exactly what the direct drives remove from the equation.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Superbee was not spinning on Saturday afternoon don't know about Sunday. Yesterday it was fine for the afternoon session for my kiddo anyway. Edit:. I take that back about yesterday, Alex just told me that they had to take A lift yesterday so that's 3 days bee has been down.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait! What? Chapel lot is going away? :( Bummer for me.
Yeah, it's been targeted for a hotel pretty much forever. It will be good for Copper to have a year-round hotel that's a nice place to stay for wedding parties and conference attendees. I'll miss parking there too. :(

Sponsor

Staff online