• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why is it going to mess with a race camp? You have your own terrain that public can't access and you have top to bottom lift instead of a two lift ride.
Most of the race camps utilize Eagle and Main Vein as their free ski location when they do not have lane time (usually 50 percent of the day).
Now half the race camps will be free skiing on Ptarmigan at any given time. Add to that 100 percent of the pass holders and you've got an epic cluster in the making.
In a related topic, i find it curious that they have not (if the webcam is acccurate) spliced and hung the wire rope. Seems kind of odd - if in fact the delay is one itty bitty missing part, why isn't the rest of the lift complete?
Signed, a customer who paid good money for a slopeside condo rental, airfare, rental car, a weeklong camp, and tickets for opening week.
If Copper is due any damages from Leitner Poma for missing a contractual completion date, maybe they should remember their customers (who always vote with their feet).

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
That was all done....I'm pretty sure Leitner Poma will be paying a penalty for not completing the lift on schedule. Copper has next to no power with vendors as basically an independent resort compared to VR and Alterra. If you are LP are you going to please Powdr Corp or VR first?
if you are looking at a $10,000 a day penalty you will airfreight the part and meet your contractual deadline.
This is not complicated.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of the race camps utilize Eagle and Main Vein as their free ski location when they do not have lane time (usually 50 percent of the day).
Now half the race camps will be free skiing on Ptarmigan at any given time. Add to that 100 percent of the pass holders and you've got an epic cluster in the making....

Main Vein is still being used, just not the very bottom portion where you access Eagle. Cut over via Skid Road back to Super Bee. Ptarmigan will suck, yes. But what else is new?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Webcams_-_Center_Village.jpg Webcams_-_Snow_Stake_Cam.jpg

This recent snow will really help get terrain open. Temps look good for snowmaking through the 10-day forecast. With temps cooperating, Copper has the ability to blow a tremendous amount of snow.

It's out a bit still, but there's a good chance there will be a decent amount of terrain open at Thanksgiving. With terrain open, great early season skiing will be had regardless of if the new lifts are running. Relax and pray for cold and snow!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it just me, or did anyone notice that the new Copper SnowStake seems out of focus and unreadable, currently?

When I go to the website, and here in this copy, what the heck is it, and where are the numbers/inches?
It looks sort of like the shadow outline of some complex fire hydrant.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A little drive-by recon today shows the snow looking fantastic at Copper. Sill a few missing parts on the Eagle and Flyer, though:

IMG_20181108_165920_1.jpg

Super Bee in the East Village :

IMG_20181108_165852.jpg

And, Union Creek in the West Village:

IMG_20181108_165942.jpg

I predict lots of fun skiing will be had at Thanksgiving with or without the new lifts.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since all visible construction activity ceased two weeks ago, I'm anticipating we're "without the new lifts."
I was looking forward to fun skiing too, but I'm a big fan of uphill transportation.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
It sure looks like they are preparing to only have Superbee and Union Creek going based on where they are making snow right now. I'm guessing they will have more than Ptarmigan open up top but will likely still have everyone funneling through Skid road. My contact inside the lift department is down for health reasons so no longer in the loop on what's happening but it looks like based on what's happening on the Eagle cam that they may be stringing the cable today/tomorrow. They are moving all the snow away from between the cable and the base terminal this morning.

Eagle.jpg

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since all visible construction activity ceased two weeks ago, I'm anticipating we're "without the new lifts."
I was looking forward to fun skiing too, but I'm a big fan of uphill transportation.

I think everything will be fine and you will have a good trip. Think about this, you might just be missing the learning curve of the new combo lift. Would you be upset if you were stuck in a line because of that? Yes, it's possible skid row might get congested but I'm thinking there will be more terrain open than originally stated.

Enjoy your trip, the snow is pretty good

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Average Joe I usually ski out of Center Village, just one lift per day to get away from the base. With enough terrain open you can do the same after taking a shuttle to the East or West Village.

My two big questions are a) can they get enough lifts open to minimize lines (Timberline, then what?), and b) can they get all the routes covered to allow skiing both East to West and West to East without a stop by Center. That's no problem mid-season thanks to Copper's fabulous natural layout, but I'm not sure they have snowmaking everywhere needed for the early season. I'm sure they are working hard to make it possible sooner rather than later.

Thanksgiving should be fun. I'd pick missing lifts over missing snow any day!

Last edited:

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
If they by some miracle could get Sierra, that would keep people up high. And if Sierra runs, then there might be some bowl action going on.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
If they by some miracle could get Sierra, that would keep people up high. And if Sierra runs, then there might be some bowl action going on.
I'd be absolutely shocked at Sierra opening anytime soon. They probably need another 3 feet of snow to get Sierra and they'd have to have Timberline open for you to even get there.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heard some news that the goal is to have American Eagle operating on Monday the 18th. Second hand information so don't take it as gospel and note the word "goal" in that sentence!

Sponsor