• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
No thanks, I have no desire to be subjected to video advertisements while skiing.

Edit to add - those things better be welded on. Otherwise, I suspect many of them will 'accidentally' loosen and fall in the woods.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Get your ads here!
Next step is entering your info for some alleged benefit while they sell it. Life, skiing, will be so much better!

Unfortunately, it’s likely to be the way things are going as people can’t live without screens. Pretty soon skiing will have displays in your goggles telling you which way to go. Just like google maps in your car. Google - it’s only one letter away from your goggle.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Things I don't want while riding a ski lift:

- To be advertised to with flashy media
- To be reminded how long I have to stand in line at the next lift
- To be worrying about when I need to leave to beat traffic home.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, it’s likely to be the way things are going as people can’t live without screens. Pretty soon skiing will have displays in your goggles telling you which way to go. Just like google maps in your car. Google - it’s only one letter away from your goggle.

Talking about distracted skiing in the making. I know the trees will weed those guys out.
Didn't Zeal have goggles with built displays for a while. Whatever happened to them?

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
I do like it when there is a trail map included on the safety bar. I imagine the trail map and trail/lift status functionality will be useful.

James

Out There
Instructor
Talking about distracted skiing in the making. I know the trees will weed those guys out.
Didn't Zeal have goggles with built displays for a while. Whatever happened to them?
Don’t know. I think it had a camera also. If Oakley or Smith had done it it might still be around. The $300 + cost was an issue.

The screen thing on lifts is a money making venture. Making skiing the same as everything else. Like a nyc cab.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I wonder what made them pick the MJ side and Super Gauge?

The Supergauge is where they demo'd/developed the tech years ago. They've been on two (3?) chairs of the Supergauge for years now.

Hopefully the new version of this is better - because the old version was less useful than a large format static trail map.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
That's one place that just came off my list of places to go. I grew up skiing in the mountains with wilderness all around me. I like it like that. I would never knowingly go to a place with video screens on the chair. The word "obscene" keeps rattling around in my head.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe they should play some awesome clips from the latest ski films to build up the stoke on the way up

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No thanks, I have no desire to be subjected to video advertisements while skiing.

Edit to add - those things better be welded on. Otherwise, I suspect many of them will 'accidentally' loosen and fall in the woods.
Indeed. If they use these for advertising, I expect… modifications to the displays in short order.

Otherwise seems like a neat idea, if it's implemented well.

Last edited:

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Zeal made the goggles, but the displays were from Recon Instruments (since acquired by Intel and all products discontinued). Smith also sold some compatible goggles (with or without the electronics included). Garmin still sells something like this for sunglasses (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530536), but considering they don't seem to even list the product on their main website (only the store), I'm not sure how long it'll be around.

The fundamental problem with all of these (screen aversions aside) is that they're really just a little display sitting somewhere in your field of vision. They're not all that easy to see even if you have everything aligned perfectly, the image is small (lest it block too much of your vision), and at least in the case of the Recon products, the UI was pretty terrible. Easier to stop and look at a phone or watch if you really need an interactive screen (or use a handlebar mount for a bike).

True AR (augmented reality) could be interesting for ski goggles, but is probably still at least a decade away from being viable in that context.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a longtime Winter Park skier. We have family that live up there and go often. I HATE this. Why would anyone want to look at a screen rather than the beauty of the mountains? Isn't that part of what we do this for?

Sponsor

Staff online