• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuation from "Flex "index"... 15 years ago and now. Same?" What I learned today

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
It did increase the range or motion but did not decrease the flex. FWIW I would buy the boot that fits then soften the flex by having the saddles cut down. My wife skis the Diablo 130 and weighs 115 lbs, Cutting the saddles made them work for her very narrow feet.

Last edited:
TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
You're going to spend $175-250 on a stock liner unless you can find one laying around in the shop.
No. There's no need. The 120 liner is very good.

(Heel lifts are a common addition for folks with lower or limited dorsiflection.)

I'll take your word that the 120 liner is good. I had a conversation with Tecnica today and if I buy the 120 and don't like the liner I can get a 130 liner without paying full price. I'm going to try the 120HV tomorrow at a different shop but I'll have my old boots along this time for A/B comparison and my orthotics to see how they work with the Tecnica. Most stores in the area, all the way up to Milwaukee are low on stock in my size (27.5) so I'll either buy one of the three Tecnica variants next week, or nurse my Salomons until next pre-season and then maybe head west for some early skiing and boot purchase. But at least I think I've zeroed in on what will work.

Thanks to all who have helped me think this through.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Update: 1-30-2020... It's gonna be Tecnica Mach1 120MV!
I decided to visit the shop that sponsors the ski club that I teach for, as I wanted to try the Tecnica Mach1 120 HV boot in stock. Somehow I never got to try the HV on at this store. For whatever reason they brought out the 120 MV, but I thought it worthwhile to try it as I'd tried it in the other shop along with the 130's. If you'd asked me yesterday I would have told you I was leaning toward the 130 HV's.

I brought my old boots along so I could A/B what I have with a potential purchase. The Tecnica 120's seemed a bit softer than my 16 year old Salomons, rated at 90 (back then). I tried Lange and Salomon, this time in 120 flex, but I just liked the way I stood in the Tecnicas better. The Salomon was WAY too tight even though it was a heat moldable shell and not something I really want to mess with. The Lange's general fit was ok but the ramp angle was too flat and when I put the appropriate heel lift in the boots I felt like I gave up some response. The Tecnicas seemed to offer a better neutral stance for me.

As I tried on these Tecnica 120MV's, the pressure points I experienced in these same boots in the other store were far less noticeable. Small manufacturing variation between units? Probably. In my mind I really wanted the 130's. The red color was much more appealing to me than the 120's "boring blue". Whatever. As I stood around in these boots, it seems that all they'll have to do is locally expand a small area where the balls of my feet touch the inside wall of the boots. Again, for whatever reason this pair of MV's were more comfortable than in the other store. I suspect that with blowing out that one little area just a tad my feet will shift ever so slightly to the inside and create a bit more support on that inside, while giving the little bit of pressure relief to the baby toe. While the liner is heat moldable, I don't think that will be necessary. I think they will break in nicely after a couple days of skiing.

I had them put the boots aside and I'll get them fitted next Tuesday as I really didn't expect to buy boots today. I'll be out of town in NYC for the weekend, so no skiing until I get back and get the boots fitted. Bottom line: Much as I still question if the Tecnica Mach1 120MV will be stiff enough, I think it will be fine and thinking ahead 5 years, I probably wouldn't want anything stiffer anyway as I ain't gettin' no younger. Any thoughts on how to stiffen if I find it a bit too soft??

With the help of the kind folks on this forum, I was finally able to get educated and make a decision. Thanks again to all who chimed in.

Almost after the fact the store's "bootfitter" asked if I wanted the computer to measure my feet? Why not? The photo below shows what came out of their computer. Pretty interesting system.
SK_ski_boot_measurements_SM.jpg

Last edited:
TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
They make a 130 MV in the Mach1

Yes, they do. But I found the 130MV to be too stiff. Remarkably, the 130HV had a softer flex, at least in the store. I've suffered with boots that were too stiff before and they were no fun. My old Salomons were the almost the right stiffness, but I always left the top buckle a little loose. Perhaps the Tec 120's will be better overall.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm confused. Just thankful for not being the bootfitter...

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ah, got it got it. The one thing I'd keep in mind is that each of the 130s and the MV 120 is that they all use different plastics in the cuff/spine, and they'll each interact with temperature differently. That might influence part of what you're experiencing.

You're hitting real goldilocks status if you find yourself in a place where the 120 is too soft and the 130 is too stiff. But if it's truly the case, it's easier to soften a boot by taking a bolt out than it is to stiffen a boot (but a better liner and a booster strap will make it more responsive & can be perceived as feeling stiffer).

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Ah, got it got it. The one thing I'd keep in mind is that each of the 130s and the MV 120 is that they all use different plastics in the cuff/spine, and they'll each interact with temperature differently. That might influence part of what you're experiencing.

You're hitting real goldilocks status if you find yourself in a place where the 120 is too soft and the 130 is too stiff. But if it's truly the case, it's easier to soften a boot by taking a bolt out than it is to stiffen a boot (but a better liner and a booster strap will make it more responsive & can be perceived as feeling stiffer).
When it comes to ski boots I AM Goldilocks. Too soft and my ankle can get jammed. Too hard and my left shin can get racked. While it’s somewhat of a nightmare for selecting boots, the infirmity has taught me to ski in the sweet spot all the time. It has also taught me how to be efficient when skiing which has helped my teaching immensely.

As far as the poor boot fitter goes, I have had to learn to tweak ski boots on my own and know exactly what needs to be done to get it right. All the boot fitter has to do is listen and execute. It’s the selection that is always a pain... which is why I hung onto my Salomons for 16 years. The problem is that technology has changed so much I had to go into “re-education camp “

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Yeah, get the stiffer one and soften it. :ogcool:

I may go back one more time to try to different one now that I have more experience with the tecnica brand. I think in addition to the overall stiffness I’ll pay more attention now to the even as a flex but even more portly how depression distribution is even against my shin, which is extremely sensitive. Thanks for chiming in. It will make me look one more time at the 130mv’s