• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Contacting Ski Patrol

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I worked patrol at a mid-size independent ski area, and there was always someone staffing the patrol phones, which had auto-forwarding so that a call would be answered if a given phone was busy. And as another f’rinstance, Taos has a continuously staffed patrol dispatch center.

I’d bet $$$ it’s much like that at most ski areas with paid patrol.

The bump I ski at has continuous coverage of both mountain radio (all channels) and the mountain operations phones.
Base dispatch and summit hill chief.
Every call gets prompt attention and response.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One important thing to do is provide patrol or liftie with an exact scene of the accident location.

While at JH a couple days before the Gathering I was riding the après-vous chair and saw a helmet rolling down the hill and a snowboarder lying on the snow a couple hundred feet away, moving but not getting up. I immediately looked at the nearest tower number, then yelled are you OK? He was several hndred feet from the lift so I think the reply was NO.

My Canadian cell phone does not work at JH so I went to the lift shack at the top of the lift where the guy in the chair ahead of me was already reporting the accident but he did not know the exact location. I was able to tell the liftie to send the patrol to between tower 13 & 14.

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most areas put their patrol number on their map. Good idea to put it in your phone BEFORE you need it.
Incentive for me to pick up a lift map when I go to a new ski area

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
At our mountain there is no cell coverage. So people go the the lift operator and we get a radio call. Hopefully with the right location. We have been told the wrong place at times. Luckily we mostly have more than one person report it. I hand out mountain maps when people ask for directions.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Ikon app has a Red Cross symbol for contacting ski patrol while at an Ikon resort. I've never used it so I don't know how it works. Generally, when I travel to a new resort, I do program the ski patrol number into my phone.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I patrol at a very small local area, we have a dedicated phone down at our base aid room and we usually have someone in there but it is not consistent as we are a small patrol. That said, that phone hasn't rung in 2 years despite the number being on every trail map and multiple signs around the area. Everyone just calls or skis to the base and the base lodge staff reports it to us via radio. We have a couple decent sized radio shadows depending on where the transmission is coming from but cell coverage is pretty consistent. So our back up to the radio call from the lodge is that they have my number as patrol director and my assistant directors number. In some way shape or form we can get a hold of someone on the mountain to respond even if we are not physically there.

When I go visit areas, yes I add the patrol number to my phone just in case. The few times I would have needed to call, we were actually doing toboggan training clinics and ended up transporting the minor injury to the patrol rather than waiting on response. odd how things happen like that...

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I patrol at a very small local area, we have a dedicated phone down at our base aid room and we usually have someone in there but it is not consistent as we are a small patrol. That said, that phone hasn't rung in 2 years despite the number being on every trail map and multiple signs around the area. Everyone just calls or skis to the base and the base lodge staff reports it to us via radio. We have a couple decent sized radio shadows depending on where the transmission is coming from but cell coverage is pretty consistent. So our back up to the radio call from the lodge is that they have my number as patrol director and my assistant directors number. In some way shape or form we can get a hold of someone on the mountain to respond even if we are not physically there.

When I go visit areas, yes I add the patrol number to my phone just in case. The few times I would have needed to call, we were actually doing toboggan training clinics and ended up transporting the minor injury to the patrol rather than waiting on response. odd how things happen like that...
Pretty much the same here, except they don't have my cell number to bug me at home

Sponsor

Staff online