• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Consumer Reports: Best Insect Repellent

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Growing up in Michigan, I knew mosquitos, and I knew that anything with Deet was necessary to ward off the pesky blood suckers.
In fact, my dad used to get insect repellent at the army surplus store that was a strange looking green can that simply said DEET.

In the interest of finding something more "friendly" I've tried several natural things but nothing seemed to work as well for me.

According to this Consumer Report, it turns out, my dad was right. Deet is my friend.
Best Insect Repellent Buying Guide

Reactions: Ron

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Growing up in Michigan, I knew mosquitos, and I knew that anything with Deet was necessary to ward off the pesky blood suckers.
In fact, my dad used to get insect repellent at the army surplus store that was a strange looking green can that simply said DEET.

In the interest of finding something more "friendly" I've tried several natural things but nothing seemed to work as well for me.

According to this Consumer Report, it turns out, my dad was right. Deet is my friend.
Best Insect Repellent Buying Guide
My experience in the deep woods of North Ontar- I - OH ( )
indicate that the 30% DEET
130173.jpg

works much better than the 25% DEET
off_sportsiv_hero_2x.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A classic from the NFB. Yes, there is nothing like working in north Ontario in the spring and summer. If the blackflies don't get you the mosquitoes will finish the job

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Painfully acquired knowledge: Tidewater horseflies don't give a rat's about DEET and will bite-punch clean through most summer clothing. Washing the boats within 2 hours either side of dusk? Wear a mechanic's jumpsuit.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When I worked in a logging camp we would use Avon Skin So Soft as a bug repellent. Smells better than sawdust mixed with sweat, gas and chain oil, which is the normal logger odour, doesn't work as well as Deet but doesn't melt plastic like Deet does.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
When I worked in a logging camp we would use Avon Skin So Soft as a bug repellent. Smells better than sawdust mixed with sweat, gas and chain oil, which is the normal logger odour, doesn't work as well as Deet but doesn't melt plastic like Deet does.

I was introduced to Skin So Soft living in Louisiana where they classify mosquitoes as birds of prey. Works great and seems less toxic than most sprays.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a Picaridin based insect repellent. It's based on black pepper and in tests performed as well as Deet.
Cutter makes one or Sawyer makes a "natural" version in both spray and lotion.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Early 70's fishing off of a river flowing into the Susitna in Alaska, there were moosequitos. We all bathed in Cutters, it would eat the finish off of a fishing rod but it kept the bugs at bay. Smelled bad and tasted worse.

One buddy was a gadget geek he used an early electronic bug repellent and was so proud of it until the batteries started running down and it became a bug attractor. That thing might still be in the creek where he tossed it that day. No, he never lived it down.

Okay, you can get serious again.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I use a Picaridin based insect repellent. It's based on black pepper and in tests performed as well as Deet.
Cutter makes one or Sawyer makes a "natural" version in both spray and lotion.
I like the idea of that, though I've never used it. I'd try it.

@DanoT @Fishbowl, I've used skinsosoft and it doesn't work for me.
Maybe there is something about body chemistry. :huh:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Repex 100, Repel 100, Muskoil 100, and the list goes on. All are about 98% DEET. Having had Lyme once, no more playing around. Don’t need that experience again as I may not be so lucky in the outcome.

If I’m worried about sun protection, I add a bottle DEET to a half empty sunscreen bottle and shake well, ends up being about 50% DEET. Smells better, gives you sun protection but ensure you use a high SPF to start.

There used to be some Citronnella based rub on sticks that worked very well, but are no longer available. Smelled good, worked well, easy to apply.

As a side note, anything that is a good repellent, is generally not good for you in some form or another (natural product or not). What makes them work is what makes it unhealthy. So all of these products use carefully. For kids I would use lower levels to ensure safety and limit exposure during growing years, balance between protection and risk of chemical harm.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I am fishing from a canoe at night I'll wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Load up on off or whatever and apply unlce ben's to a baseball hat.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
we use the repel oil eucalyptus..... down in the SC low country mosquito's and no-see-ums will lay in wait to carry you off. another trick that all the locals do is to put a drier sheet through a loop on your belt and also through the little hole on the back of your baseball hat. Skin so soft is also popular. as a matter of fact the makers of skin so soft make a skin so soft bug lotion that works great.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
we use the repel oil eucalyptus..... down in the SC low country mosquito's and no-see-ums will lay in wait to carry you off. another trick that all the locals do is to put a drier sheet through a loop on your belt and also through the little hole on the back of your baseball hat. Skin so soft is also popular. as a matter of fact the makers of skin so soft make a skin so soft bug lotion that works great.

Hehe, NC mosquitoes are small, black and would die in Wisconsin. :)

When I lived in Charlotte for 4 years, I thought it was funny that people actually went to the ER for mosquito bites. Even funnier that it was reported in the paper.

Mother-in-law used to sell Avon. Usually a mixture of water and skin-so-soft worked well. I used to be a mosquito magnet, clouds above me and no one else. Now I don't have that problem, but no reason why, which is fine with me.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Yep Dwight , we're a bunch of weanies in the Carolinasogsmile. My Grandparents had a place up in Sayner near the UP. I remember my Grandad had the old pump sprayer that said Black Flag DDT on it. we would button up the long-sleeved shirts and tuck our pants legs into our socks and then stand there while he sprayed us down. I've often wondered if that's why I'm the way I am now.:(

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since we are going to talk about aggressive bugs....

Black Flies in Ontario can be so bad nobody ventures outside and wild animals outside try to get in. Where they are common everything outside shuts down for about 2 weeks (first warm spell wakes them, last frost kills them). Think mini paranas, they make you bleed. Makes No See Ums seem pleasant.

Deer Flies extremely fast think fighter jet speed and agility, wear you down until you get bitten, hurts like hell and tough as hell & hard to kill.

European Horse Flys OMG BIG and bite. Only saving grace slower and easy to hit and kill after dealing with Deer Flies in Ontario. Just let them land and bam kill them before the bite.

Mosquitoes, the females are the only ones that bite to breed more.

Enough said.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I still say - Deet is my friend.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is the bourbon method, rub bourbon on the skin, sprinkle on fine sand let one mosquito land and bite and she’ll starts throwing rocks at the rest. :rocks:

The second method is feed an unsuspecting friend a free banana split, the mosquitoes will eat him while you remain free (something about skin chemistry and bananas causes you to be an attractant) :hug::rolleyes:

Third is Orange juice or aspirin same except acts like a repellent.

Disclaimer, if you get eaten using any one of these methods remember I did suggest DEET first and I’ll be :roflmao:.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thermacell is an amazing product that is totally different and very effective. If it works in Algonquin Park in bug season it will work anywhere. The system uses a small butane fuel source the size of a lighter to heat a chemical pad and release repellent.
https://www.thermacell.com/

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thermacell is an amazing product that is totally different and very effective. If it works in Algonquin Park in bug season it will work anywhere. The system uses a small butane fuel source the size of a lighter to heat a chemical pad and release repellent.
https://www.thermacell.com/
It doesn't say what chemicals you'll be breathing.

Sponsor