• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Well -- should I start a new thread about first year on patrol or just continue this one?

Had a nice summer social event at the Rockies game last week. OEC begins next week. Dues have been paid.

Even got my patrol ski outfit mostly sorted with some decent bibs from the used outdoor gear shop in town, and a $15 black Costco softshell. My orange helmet is gonna clash really bad with the red training jacket :).
Until last year we also did OEC during the summer and the test right before our fall refresher, This year we did OEC during the season so the scenarios that they learned were done on the hill vs in a classroom. the candidates really enjoyed it that way and it was much more realistic. the mountain came through and gave the candidates passes to use during their training also. One of the other things that came out of this was that we were able to get a fair amount of the sled training basics out of the way and we used the trainees for traffic control at accident scenes. Plus having an extra 8 people there to help with pads and ropes etc. was kind of nice.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Our OEC is about 50/50 classroom and on-hill. We have weekly on-hill sessions starting early Oct lasting through end of Nov. Lots of time for scenarios :).

Sled training begins in Dec after we pass OEC. Sled tests offered in mid-Jan when we also get voted onto patrol (we can be voted on even without sled test -- just can't run sleds yet.)

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well -- this thread at least for this year -- have just died at the first OEC class.

They changed the dates of the final practical required to join patrol despite earlier communications that the date was finalized. While I had already gotten the okay to miss a wedding for an required lift-evac day, I don't think the SO would look favorably on canceling a European vacation.

Last edited:
TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
^^^
:( Any make up date alternatives possible?

Working on finding out. I didn't realize the change until i got home and checked the dates given in class vs the prior schedule and my plane tickets.

Feeling pretty gutted.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Working on finding out. I didn't realize the change until i got home and checked the dates given in class vs the prior schedule and my plane tickets.

Feeling pretty gutted.

That’s sucks. Hopefully the offer an alternative date.

Carolinacub

Skier
They could possibly allow you to take the final with another patrol. We have done that for other patrols and have also had other patrols do it for us.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Missed updating here. Found a different patrol to test with, then that patrol backed out a few weeks prior to the test.

Luckily, my OEC instructors figured out scheduling a test a week ahead of the rest of the class.

So earlier today 2 of my fellow classmates and myself passed the practical exam, bringing OEC to completion. Feels darn good to have that out of the way.

Now a whole 2 month break before OET begins.

Carolinacub

Skier
@jmeb , I figured they would figure out a way to make it work, It turned out we had a couple people in the same boat as you and we did the exact same thing. One of the things that seem to extend across the spectrum of patrols is the willingness to go the extra mile to help bring good people into the fold.

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
@jmeb, your avatar looks super familiar. Did we chat about a touring setup over on TGR? Regardless, your whole saga is nearly identical to what I went through in the spring. I had tried out at Loveland in spring of '18 (was asked to try again next year) and tried out at Eldora in spring of '19 (was invited to join, but declined). Really, my considerations were the same as yours. I ski a lot during the season and wasn't sure I'd be ok with committing 25+ days this season to being at Eldora on top of working M-F and doing the OEC classes.

With the return of winter, I'm still super interested in ski patrolling. I just don't know that I'll be ok giving up skiing for fun, and that means trying to make paid patrol work. A couple of life changes means potentially working at WP next season would be somewhat doable, and I'll probably try to get some more info this winter and try out in the spring. That being said, we seem to be in very similar situations (full time jobs at the moment, front rangers, etc) so really curious to hear how this season goes for you, what you like, what you don't, etc. Good luck!

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Chris Johnson -- yep.

If you're interested in patrolling, think about coming up to shadow patrol for a day or two. I know Loveland will work with you to do such, probably WP too. Best to shadow where you think you may want to patrol as the logistics of how you join (and how you might get a quick start) vary by program.

Happy to grab a beer or touring sometime post-holidays and chat about my OEC / joining patrol experience. But it'll be the end of this year before I have any sort of full first-year perspective.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Most expensive hat I've ever had.

82494421_10101988002938000_5859307437332365312_o.jpg

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
- Medical training
Check. Although it isn't a replacement for WFR, it has improved my knowledge and confidence significantly.

- Camaraderie
Mostly check -- this will be an ongoing development.

- Internal view of mountain operations

It's a bit like getting a PhD -- the more you learn the more you realize you don't know.

- Helping people out
Definite check and I haven't even had many non-training days yet. Even the small things like helping show someone the easiest line down is rewarding.

- Improving my skiing

Check. Anyone who's skiing doesn't improve in OET training (running sleds down 35+degree bumps) -- is a far better skier than I am. Balance, rotary movements, edging, power, seperation, endurance, line selection -- all are being challenged and improved.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
End of season update:

- I'm doing it again next year.
- Didn't get to test OET. This really bummed me out.
- Never wore the vest. (While I was voted on, many choose to wait til post OET to get the vest as senior OET vs non-OET have some different insignia.)
- It's a lot of work.
- And a lot of growth and fun.

Carolinacub

Skier
Check. Although it isn't a replacement for WFR, it has improved my knowledge and confidence significantly.

Mostly check -- this will be an ongoing development.

It's a bit like getting a PhD -- the more you learn the more you realize you don't know.

Definite check and I haven't even had many non-training days yet. Even the small things like helping show someone the easiest line down is rewarding.

Check. Anyone who's skiing doesn't improve in OET training (running sleds down 35+degree bumps) -- is a far better skier than I am. Balance, rotary movements, edging, power, seperation, endurance, line selection -- all are being challenged and improved.
I told you so :ogbiggrin: :golfclap:

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
any age restrictions to ski patrol? Like 40s or 50s a problem to start?

Sponsor