• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpokaneSteve

Booting up
Skier
Hello all:

I saw some round ones called diamond "pucks". Has anyone tried them?

Any other recomendations for a brand or size?

Thanks much, Steve.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I like the Moonflex 70mm. I have a longer one, which I got because I thought it would be better, but I feel like the shorter length follows the curve of the ski better. I started with DMT, but I don't feel like they last as long. I also feel like they load up more, even though I drop the stone into a alcohol/water mix when I'm moving to another grit. I need to clean them regularly with wax remover (which I got for skis, but only use for the stones, as it turns out).

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I'm with the dog.
The DMT ones load up and don't last as long as the Moonflex.
The Swix ones are crazy expensive and are made by who knows probably in China.
I use short ones for side edges in a Multituner and long ones for base edges in a bevel holder.
I scrub them with solvent and a wire brush between uses.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I agree, I don't buy DMT stones anymore. Moonflex, or Swix or some higher quality stones are worth it. And keep them clean.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a longer one, which I got because I thought it would be better, but I feel like the shorter length follows the curve of the ski better.

Your skis must have a tight TR. About 3.25 meters? :D

I like the 100 mm more than the 70 mm units. Have both but the 100 mm feels better. More for my grubby little mitts to grab hold of.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hello all:

I saw some round ones called diamond "pucks". Has anyone tried them?

Any other recomendations for a brand or size?

Thanks much, Steve.

Any stones are only going to last so long.
Don't use too much pressure until you have made several passes, then slowly increase pressure.
Dip the stones in fluid as you work them. You can't dip them too much. Lots of fluid! Look here how I do it.
Use a 50-50 mix of denatured alcohol and water as fluid.
Moonflex, Swix, and Beast are all good.

https://ecolink.com/info/denatured-alcohol-vs-rubbing-alcohol/

Last edited:

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got a set of the puck ones. The advantage is that you have more options on how to place it in the guide. The disadvantage, one one pair of skis, the binding is wider than the ski so the stone interferes with the binding. Forces me to push the stone further into the guide, which means I'm using very little of it. For this reason alone I think I'll go back to Moonflex for my next set.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the Tools4Boards HONE diamonds -- they come on an aluminum backing, and are available single sided or with different grits on each side.