• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Condiments, spices, and other ingredients. What are your "GOTTA HAVE IT HANDY" go to choices?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So. Pepper mills. Spare me from anything where I have to stand there and risk carpal tunnel syndrome spinning the thing for 45 seconds before it emits a meaningful amount of pepper. This leads me to my beloved Unicorn mill.

View attachment 100564

I bought this after reading the origin story. Vic Firth was the tympanist for the Boston Symphony Orchestra. When he was young, he could not find sticks that had the durability and balance that he was looking for, and started to make his own - hand whittling them at first, and then having them machine made to his specifications. After numerous colleagues asked him to make them for them, he started a company to make various drumstIcks. After a while he branched into pepper and salt mills. The story was so compelling that I had to buy one. This pepper mill is over 25 years old and still works like new. And yes, it really feels well balanced and grinds well (Not as efficient as Tony’s, I am sure).

3627E328-75C8-4C1B-94CA-22CD33C3B5FD.jpeg

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son in law sent me this from Hungary with no instructions on how to use it. After using the stuff the first time, I accused him of trying to kill me. I mentioned Pista to my dentist (who is from Hungary), and he said: “Ahhhh. Pista! You only used a tiny bit, right?
D7997C84-7F78-4A47-99E7-B9D08A8C37D3.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What if you could only have 5 things? That should challenge folks.
My picks:

Kosher salt
Black peppercorns
Cumin
Garlic
Lemons

I feel that I could make a variety of meals using these in various combinations.

Yes! This is a much tougher question.

Salt
Pepper
Garlic
... With those three, I would be okay. Then ...

Onion
Smoked paprika

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Five hmmm :nono:

If I must: ( oh damn, that means I must kill some of my babies. That's just cruel.
Sea Salt
Peppercorns
Onion
Cumin
Rosemary ( fresh )

Edit to add: That assumes we have olive oil and wine, right? We're talking only spices, alliums, and herbs here, right? Otherwise :eek:

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okay, serious answer to the 5 things:

- thai black soy sauce
- thai thin soy sauce
- tamarind paste
- limes
- holy basil

Not all of these are on my more expansive "must have" list... Had to rethink what could be put together in ways I'd be willing to eat repeatedly. Thai cuisine won.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've gotta say that one of the best gifts that we have ever received has been a vacuum sealer. That suck and seal has been a life saver.

I keep asking for one for Christmas and I keep getting ignored. Solution - cook more with Miracle Whip!

One more post like that and you posting privileges will be removed.

Yeah. You are in a room full of foodies here.

Hmmmmm Just 5 - does that include wet or are we talking just dried ingredients? If dried ...
kosher salt
pepper
cumin
rosemary
basil

Damn. ETA - substitute anchillo chili for salt. I can live without salt.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My son in law sent me this from Hungary with no instructions on how to use it. After using the stuff the first time, I accused him of trying to kill me. I mentioned Pista to my dentist (who is from Hungary), and he said: “Ahhhh. Pista! You only used a tiny bit, right? View attachment 100588

Maybe it was off Pista.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait. I don't understand why y'all think of garlic or shallot - let alone onion - as a condiment or seasoning. To me it's a vegetable, just like carrots or celery or whatever. In short, it shouldn't count toward The Binder Five.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait. I don't understand why y'all think of garlic - let alone onion - as a condiment or seasoning. To me it's a vegetable, just like carrots or celery or whatever. In short, it shouldn't count toward The Binder Five.

And what about olive oil? If EVOO is a condiment or seasoning, why isn't butter?

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wait. I don't understand why y'all think of garlic - let alone onion - as a condiment or seasoning. To me it's a vegetable, just like carrots or celery or whatever. In short, it shouldn't count toward The Binder Five.

Proposal: garlic is a vegetable when you put it in things and a condiment when you put it on things and a seasoning in its lazy granulated form. Just to cover all bases.

But it is definitely a vegetable and the best of all vegetables at that. That's why it's in the vegetable section of your supermarket.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My Binder Five

pepper
salt
parsley (Italian!)
capers
mustard

lemon? Yes, but a fruit, not a seasoning.
garlic? Yes, but, again, a vegetable.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My Binder Five

pepper
salt
parsley (Italian!)
capers
mustard

lemon? Yes, but a fruit, not a seasoning.
garlic? Yes, but, again, a vegetable.

P.S., This is really cruel. Capers ruling out miso? That's just wrong!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well to be fair, he did say 5 things, so that's really open to interpretation. Then we look at the thread title for guidance and we see "Condiments, spices and other ingredients", still no help.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And what about olive oil? If EVOO is a condiment or seasoning, why isn't butter?
P.S., This is really cruel. Capers ruling out miso? That's just wrong!

Dude, when you start quoting yourself, it is time to put the glass down and move away from the key board. :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January