• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Update. I’ve been doing vestibular therapy since school ended which I think is helping those issues. My brains is starting to feel more normal, probably because of cognitive rest. Below is the grade update that I posted elsewhere.

Have you been keeping an emotions log? It's about the only way to demonstrate ramped anxiety levels, frex.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the current American Physician medical consensus is now changed to encourage return to normal daily routines as tolerated after 24-48 hours of initial rest.

Sorry, I'm late to the discussion -- ignore anything I say if it's repetitive with what's already been said.

My daughter had two concussions, a couple years apart. The first, about five years ago, was from playing club soccer and was fairly major. We went to one of the top sports concussion guys in the DC area. His advice was consistent with the quote above; in fact, by the time of the second (milder) concussion, he felt even more strongly about her returning to normal (but not overly strenuous) physical activity as soon as possible. He also concurred with what many have said re screen time: cut it substantially during recovery.

At the time of her second concussion, her soccer coach told us that ramped up doses of Omega-3 could speed recovery. It seemed to work; she recovered fairly quickly. The sports concussion guy was unaware of any studies to support that premise, but said that there is some data (one study) showing that if Omega-3 is taken regularly before a concussion, it hastens recovery.

He also said that studies do not show any cumulative effect for multiple concussions -- IF there is complete recovery for concussion X before concussion X+1 occurs.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully, this will be my final update to this thread. In the last few weeks I have really felt mostly back to normal. Things like the odd typos I was making (spelling words out phonetically even though I know how they are actually spelled) have gone away and I just feel less foggy. I'm also allowed to read for leisure which has been lovely. I graduated from vestibular therapy on Monday. I still have exercises to do but for now I seem to be doing well.

We are somewhat concerned about when I return to the intensity of school I will have some trouble with that kind of reading but if/when that happens I will go back to discuss applying for accommodations to allow alternate text formats (text to speech) and extended testing time (when I rush my eyes skip very important words in prompts) but we'll deal with that then. For now, I'm grateful that I feel better and had all of these amazing resources to help me through. Thanks to you all for the support, input, encouragement, and space to vent.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Have you seen a doctor? How's your brain behaving? Keep us posted. Why don't you start a thread.
Well instead of starting a whole new thread, I’ll just post in here.
I got hit yesterday doing the last trail before the trip back down to ending class. Had seven kids. I don’t remember getting hit. Didn’t even know where I got hit till today when I heard from someone else. All I remembered is all of the class at the bottom of the trail and I’m getting one girl down. Next thing is at the corral with parents and I have to use my written class list that has helmet/jacket/pants colirs on it because I don’t remember any names. But I don’t remember any of the conversations. Didn’t remember how I even got there.
All I remember of the impact was coming to with my face in the snow. I vaguely hear someone say did I want ski patrol. I guess I said no. I think I had tunnel vision because all I saw was directly in front. I remember vaguely a really big kid low teens? standing in front in a wedge, and a snowboarder sitting down. That’s it. Don’t remember saying anything.

I found out today from another instructor who had three of the kids today who were there. The 11 yr old girl is the one yesterday who told that same instructor, who was nearby when we got back, that I got hit hard. He took me to first aid.

So, the story she told him was that I was showing her something in the bumps when someone out of control hit me from behind. She said his ski hit my helmet. (There’s no obvious damage.) We both were on the ground unconscious. He for around a minute, me for “5-10 minutes” on the ground, and I was twitching. After “I was different”, kept asking their names, and wedged turned the whole way back to the meeting area.

In terms of time unconsciuos, I highly doubt it was 10min. Only because supposedly I got in on time, 3:30, and I know we started the trail right about 3:10, and was prob at least 5 min in. Getting back with that group would be 5-6 minutes normally, less if we had to, but who knows what it took. I’d imagine the experience of seeing the whole thing was somewhat traumatic for the girl.

I had a slight headache and my left lower back/side hurt. Probably where I got hit. Lower left rear of my head has a slight bruise I guess. It hurts a little under pressure.

Haven’t done much other than lie around and sleep. I walked a little to do a couple of things. That was tiring. It felt a little like I was starting to get nauseous, but curtailed the moving around and didn’t.

Now I need to curtail this activity for a while.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good grief @James. Bless that girl.

I feel like everyone should be trained to call ski patrol when someone is knocked unconscious, even if they come-to and wave off help. It's not like someone with a brain injury makes great decisions.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s really scary. Given the loss of consciousness and loss of memory, definitely a significant concussion. A second brain injury within a short period of time can do much more damage and is much more dangerous. You should get examined and follow your doctor’s strict return to work recommendations. I agree with mandatory patrol notification. After a concussion higher level decision making and motor control/coordination can be compromised. You probably should ridden down in a sled or at least on the back of a snowmobile. Given the mechanism of injury, it sounds like it could have been much worse. Rest your brain as much as you can, which includes minimizing screen time.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear this, James. Get the paperwork going for your work injury ASAP, and keep the names and contact info of the witnesses. Take care of yourself!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@James, that was about the lucidity I had when I last severely concussed riding my bike. I had other injuries but the one I was most concerned about was the concussion. I've had a number of severe ones over my life.

Just a word of advice: if this accident just happened, you shouldn't be online or thinking about anything strenuously. Take it really easy for a while. I'm not a doctor but I'll play on the internet. :) I hope you recover fully soon.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well instead of starting a whole new thread, I’ll just post in here.
I got hit yesterday doing the last trail before the trip back down to ending class. Had seven kids. I don’t remember getting hit. Didn’t even know where I got hit till today when I heard from someone else. All I remembered is all of the class at the bottom of the trail and I’m getting one girl down. Next thing is at the corral with parents and I have to use my written class list that has helmet/jacket/pants colirs on it because I don’t remember any names. But I don’t remember any of the conversations. Didn’t remember how I even got there.
All I remember of the impact was coming to with my face in the snow. I vaguely hear someone say did I want ski patrol. I guess I said no. I think I had tunnel vision because all I saw was directly in front. I remember vaguely a really big kid low teens? standing in front in a wedge, and a snowboarder sitting down. That’s it. Don’t remember saying anything.

I found out today from another instructor who had three of the kids today who were there. The 11 yr old girl is the one yesterday who told that same instructor, who was nearby when we got back, that I got hit hard. He took me to first aid.

So, the story she told him was that I was showing her something in the bumps when someone out of control hit me from behind. She said his ski hit my helmet. (There’s no obvious damage.) We both were on the ground unconscious. He for around a minute, me for “5-10 minutes” on the ground, and I was twitching. After “I was different”, kept asking their names, and wedged turned the whole way back to the meeting area.

In terms of time unconsciuos, I highly doubt it was 10min. Only because supposedly I got in on time, 3:30, and I know we started the trail right about 3:10, and was prob at least 5 min in. Getting back with that group would be 5-6 minutes normally, less if we had to, but who knows what it took. I’d imagine the experience of seeing the whole thing was somewhat traumatic for the girl.

I had a slight headache and my left lower back/side hurt. Probably where I got hit. Lower left rear of my head has a slight bruise I guess. It hurts a little under pressure.

Haven’t done much other than lie around and sleep. I walked a little to do a couple of things. That was tiring. It felt a little like I was starting to get nauseous, but curtailed the moving around and didn’t.

Now I need to curtail this activity for a while.
Sounds like you had a seizure, get checked out!!!!! This is not pre-existing (I hope) so there is more concern as to its potential cause. You don’t want to miss a hidden serious issue (think Michael Schumacher).

As to recover, don’t rush it you are likely in for a long one. Second you are likely more easily to suffer the next one. So care for yourself and take the time you need to recover properly.

Best wishes

James

Out There
Instructor
Whaaaat? Crap. Take it easy and keep us posted.
Yeah it was bad. Good news is I have no memory of skis coming at my head.
Good grief @James. Bless that girl.

I feel like everyone should be trained to call ski patrol when someone is knocked unconscious, even if they come-to and wave off help. It's not like someone with a brain injury makes great decisions.
Yes, it's got to be pretty horrible to have someone come flying in out of the blue, in the air, and collide with the person she's talking to. (Supposedly I was showing her something about poles.) Then both people are on the ground unconscious and she's the only one there. She also told another instructor at the end. I didn't protest going to first aid, but no idea if I would've gone myself.

I can only hope the adults who came along did not see the collision nor people passed out. It's just a bad idea to let formerly lnocked unconscious people ski off, as if they fall again and hit your head you could do damage.

Vail resorts has calling patrol MANDATORY
I doubt that applies to students, I essesntially only had a brain working to get back down. I didn't know I was hit.

And we all thought moguls were safer!
Yeah, the downside is they get airborne.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The Vail procedure is any collision you're in or witness. I understand you may have been unable. We're the kids the only witnesses?