• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
if I read over my work or pugski posts, later I see lots of typos and grammer mistakes
I saw those and was a bit concerned. Several out-of-character mistakes. I'm glad you're progressing. Like an injured muscle or joint, an injured brain needs rest and recuperation.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Appreciate all the love and concern. And my same goes out to all the other head injury folks in this thread.

No offense, but everyone is trying to tell you and the other concussion victims to get the hell off the computer........in concussion protocol and recovery, the very first thing is “rest” your brain....No computer, laptops, TV, etc.......yes it sucks....but “rest” your brain injury.

Give it a few weeks...then you can post on PugSki all day long. We all enjoy your posts...but take a break.;)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No offense, but everyone is trying to tell you and the other concussion victims to get the hell off the computer........in concussion protocol and recovery, the very first thing is “rest” your brain....No computer, laptops, TV, etc.......yes it sucks....but “rest” your brain injury.

Give it a few weeks...then you can post on PugSki all day long. We all enjoy your posts...but take a break.;)

Thanks for your concern I know it's coming from a good place and am taking your advice,
Trust me, I am getting huge nappage times in and the computer usage is under my 5-10 minute tasks; which is why some posts are at 6am or other weird hours.

Because skiing and computers is so much of my life, the checking in on pugski and reading over the snowreports even know I'm likely not going to be going for a few weeks; is helping me feel normal. To stay and feel normal is also a ward against depression and worse evil things that we dont like to talk about, which nurses also greatly warned me about was also a major threat. :)

Last edited:
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am so happy tonight. The text to speech software enabled me to finish all of my reading for this week by lunch on Friday. Except for the first week of the semester I haven’t managed that at all. The concussion happened the weekend after the first week. I spent a few hours this afternoon doing study exercises and a short essay and then got out for a bike ride. A BIKE RIDE! My first since Thanksgiving. It felt so amazing. I cried happy tears. I am certain that without this accommodation I’d still be reading. It’ll be a race against time after classes end to see how much of the earlier reading this semester I can get back through but whatever I can will help. I wish my therapist wasn’t on her honeymoon in Ireland right now or I’d be sending her a message of grateful thanks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
By chance, my relative who is a physician gave me a copy of this week's American Family Physician which had an timely article on current concepts in Concussion:
https://www.aafp.org/afp/2019/0401/p426.html

On the topic of activity, while everyone is different and individual treatments apply, the article said the current American Physician medical consensus is now changed to encourage return to normal daily routines as tolerated after 24-48 hours of initial rest.

Specifically the article cites
2 studies indicated the extended rest lead to detrimental symptoms and feelings of anxiety and isolation.
1 other study indicated 5days rest had no benefit over 24-48 hours of cognitive/physical rest. It says increased symptoms from the extended rest group (subject group here was collegiate athletes and military academy personnel).
Of course if activity not tolerated, and symptoms triggered, need to step back scale back, and severity of the injury and injury history all individualizes the treatment too.

A total of 8 studies form the consensus that after the brief rest of approx 24-48hrs, individuals should be encouraged to (gradually) return to normal activities (as tolerated).

2 of the 8 citations indicate gradual increase of activities that do not trigger symptoms is safe and may expedite recovery.

The gradual steps are as below and guidance is min 24hrs symptom free between each step up .
  1. routine daily activities
  2. light routine activities or light nonimpact aerobic exercise
  3. light activity specific to occupation or academics light sport-specific exercise
  4. moderate activity sport-specific noncontact training drills
  5. intensive activity full-contact practice
  6. unrestricted activity and return to play

Here is also a screenshot of the page as I assume most here are not subscribers to this periodical, lol.

If anyone else is interested in the article, I can forward some pictures of the article to you. It is more about the general trends and how to perform the initial diagnosis, standard treatments and standard outcomes. If you have had extended circumstances or individualized diagnosis; your individual symptoms, tests and treatment of course take precedence.
concussion.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I missed your post @raytseng but that is in line with what I was told early on as well. The key for me was as I started back I would stop major thinking activity as soon as the headache would set in. I'm still trying to do that as much as possible although as my school semester comes to an end (last class of the semester today) and finals approach I don't have as much flexibility.

I got really good news in my criminal law class yesterday when the professor said he would allow 1 3x5 note card with whatever we can fit on it for the final. :yahoo:Given that one of my issues is memory recall this will be a major help for me. Usually if I can find the key topic in my brain then I can get to the rest of it so now I just need to strategize what to put on that card. My professor is a funny guy though, he commented that he was doing it mostly because he finds it hilarious to watch students try to read the tiny print on their cards when he allows it. :roflmao:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That brings back some memories. In college my friend and I used to prepare "condesed notes" while studying for exams. We would iterate, condensing the condensed till a semester fit on one side of sheet of paper. Helped having young eyes and a fine point pen, of course. I don't really remember why we started -- mght have been a semi-open book exam like you describe. And of course, we found that once we had done all that condensing we no longer needed to look at the results!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Concussions are no joke. We are required to complete the CDC Heads Up concussion training -- and it is useful for all:

https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/resources/training.html

I completed concussion training for coaching years ago. I'm not sure if I hadn't had it whether I would have made the connection of my symptoms to a concussion. The old thinking of you couldn't have a concussion if you didn't lose consciousness is wrong but I think many people don't realize it.

I'm heavy into finals studying right now. I'm figuring out there is a period of time post-concussion that I am calling "the blank period" where I read (listen) to stuff and it sounds vaguely familiar but certainly not like I've really digested it previously. I've been able to make mp3 files of textbook chapters and download them to my phone so I can "read" while commuting, doing errands, etc.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I’ve received my grades on assignments due after the assignment that made me go in for testing. I am extremely happy to say that out of 35 available points I earned 35 points. It’s a huge sigh of relief.

On the other hand, finals studying had me looking like this:

F797A88F-95A7-46EA-A197-E05B5727F499.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ Congrats!!
Photo has the look of tv photo after an incident. "The alleged perpetrator posted a diatribe on facebook..."

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ Congrats!!
Photo has the look of tv photo after an incident. "The alleged perpetrator posted a diatribe on facebook..."

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

You do not want my diatribe about federal civil procedure. Next week it will be criminal law. That might be a smidge more entertaining. :duck:

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost there. Criminal law final 8-12:30 tomorrow morning. This final is going to suck but it is what it is at this point. I need to print out my 3x5 card stuff and paste it to the card tonight. Preview of one side of the card below (it will be font size tiny.) Gathering with my classmates and various professors including the dean who was our property professor last semester after. A small bottle of French grower champagne chilling in the fridge for tomorrow evening. I've scheduled my first session of vestibular therapy for next week. She tells me she has to make me symptomatic to help me so I'm not looking forward to that.

Winship/Apprendi-Elements Mochan/McBoyle-fairwarn Yates-lenity Mullaney-burdproof Martin-AR Rogers-expostfacto Newton-uncons Decina-seizures Pope-moralwrongabusedbabychurch Elonis-internetthreatinnocentvunlawfulcond. Jones-babydutytoact Faulkner-rumfireaccident. Cunningham-intenttoharmreckldisregardmalicious Prince-moralwrongknowingincreasetohighercrime Morrisette-junkdlerbombsbadactsnoMRreqd Cheek-taxesMRshouldbeknow Gunminga-alctominorcantcommitcrimew/oknow/consent Dotterweich-mislableddrugsstrictliab Garnett-SLstat.rape Lambert-registerasfelmustbeinformed Carroll-gunonwindowcooloff Guthrie-towelsnapneedsomeappreciabletimetodevlpintent Girourd-couplefightdoesntmatterhowbadwordsarenewtreat Maher-cheetinginwoodsreducetomsltroldtreatment Marerro-gunnightclubmistakenotdefense Jewel-willfulblindnessstillknowledge Cassassa-EMEDstalkerdowngrdtomsltr Williams-childdentistinvmsltrreasonpersrecognegl Bradshaw-dutytoknowpossession Stamp-inherantdangcrimFM Phillips-childeyecancernotinherdangnoF Burton-indepfelonpurpFM Shimmen-awarekindofriskwhichwouldresulthe didnottakeprecautions,Hines-turkeyfriendpossessgunbyfeloninherdang Canola-co-felonkilledwhenresistvictimnoFM Cheshire-causallinkmedicalcarestillbutfor Atencio-RRfriendhaddutynottoencouragegame Acosta-helinotproxcausenoFM Arzon-sofafirenotsuffcauseofinjrynoFM Campbell-encouragefriendsuicidenocausationnoFM Stephenson-kidnaprapewomankillsherselfplacedvictiminstateof mindyesFM Russell-shootoutkillsprincipalallchargedwithdepindifmsltr Kevorkian-mustbepartoffinalact Hicks-horsesmustbeevidplan Wilcox-musiciantrivalassistanclapaccomplice Tally-telegramtostopwarningaccomplice Hayes-robstoreactualcrimenoAR Perry-childabusebymaninhousenoagree Lauria-phoneservicenoknownointent Pinkerton-co-consliableforactsreasonforsee Luparello-friendstrytogetinfoonwifeslocation naturalandprobableconsequenceseveryonesame crime Hicks-presencealonenotenough Gilbert-directcausal Root-dragracingpassinginoncominglaneinterveningcause McFadden-dragracelostcontrolkilledracerandotherproximatecause Rizzo-dangerousproximity McQuirrter-actionsw/oinnocentexpl.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure about that one?

Just kidding! No clue.

Good luck!

Yep! Then the friends killed the guy and the husband was guilty of murder because of the conspiracy. They actually call it Luparello Liability.

Last edited:
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update. I’ve been doing vestibular therapy since school ended which I think is helping those issues. My brains is starting to feel more normal, probably because of cognitive rest. Below is the grade update that I posted elsewhere.

Because law school is graded on a curve we are pretty secretive about where we stand grade wise except that I’ve been vocal all along that, especially with my concussion this semester, I just wanted Bs (the mandatory average grade on the curve). I’ve had my lawyering process grade for weeks, a B. I got my civil procedure grade last week, a B.

I was super scared for criminal law because that class was HARD and the final was petrifying. Add on that that I had one of the 4 lowest grades on the midterm which happened right as I realized that I was having more issues than I thought with the concussion. My only bit of relief there was that the professor told us he would only count the midterm if it helped the final grade. Keep in mind that everything is graded blindly so he had no idea that the exams he was grading were written by a concussed brain.

We’ve been told that they don’t post grades on weekends so I hadn’t looked since Friday evening but I got word that they’d been posted. I GOT A B!!!! I would have survived and not been at risk of losing my scholarship with a B- but I GOT A B!!!! Yep, a bit stoked, relieved, and enormously proud of myself for surviving this one. Phew! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Sponsor

Staff online