• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Watching thread

My DH had a couple of backward falls at Wolf Creek and we didn't realize for over a week that he had a mild concussion. Also BPPV from the fall showed up late as acute vertigo.

It's been six weeks or more and we are concerned his healing is so slow. So its comforting to know others have recovered after even longer time frame.

Also, he has gotten conflicting advice from providers. Total brain and body rest to get back to exercise just start easy.

According to a U Penn study, they are changing what they think about treating concussion and are suggesting that mild aerobic exercise is good for it. But honestly I dont think they really know.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I can’t remember how long it was exactly but I think after a couple weeks I was allowed to walk but not raise heart rate then a couple more weeks and I was allowed to start raising it as long as I didn’t get a headache. The elliptical was an issue for longer due to balance and falling concerns.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Both my wife and I follow brain damage (anything brain related and recovery) as our son has brain injury as a result of something prior to birth (that something is unknown, just one of those unfortunate things).

So one of those things is micro concussions and the lack of symptoms that they show tilll much later in life, pro football players and brain deterioration brought this to the forefront (this open a complete different discussion about body protection being to good in sports).

Kyto diet (medically supervised as there are serious risks involved) is good to help control seizures as it helps the brain repath and heal. He has been on it for 4 years and yes based on our observations it does work (less seizures, reduced anti-seizure medication, increased cognitive ability etc). This is not an easy diet.

Part of concussions is the micro tears they cause in the brain tissue, and the damage both immediate and long term that results. IMHO based more on subjective comparison a kyto diet should help to heal concussion damage both immediate and more importantly long term.

Originally at age 6 it was suggested as a 0g per day carb diet (we didn’t), later it was was suggest as modified ATKINs with 10-12g per day (age 16 that’s when he started) and now with taking MCT oil it’s upped to 20-25g per day (now 20).

Pros, seems to work, improved intelligence, does work to lose weight.

Cons, very costly, requires constrain planning, difficult to keep up calorie count, variaty of diet is limited however it is getting better as my wife is very inventive (hospital after our recipes). Yo-yoing on and off causes seizures (in his case). Easy to lose weight.

If you want more info PM me and we’ll talk privately off line.

Last edited:

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Watching thread

My DH had a couple of backward falls at Wolf Creek and we didn't realize for over a week that he had a mild concussion. Also BPPV from the fall showed up late as acute vertigo.

It's been six weeks or more and we are concerned his healing is so slow. So its comforting to know others have recovered after even longer time frame.

Also, he has gotten conflicting advice from providers. Total brain and body rest to get back to exercise just start easy.

According to a U Penn study, they are changing what they think about treating concussion and are suggesting that mild aerobic exercise is good for it. But honestly I dont think they really know.

We don't. TBI is a developing field right now and the recommendations are changing FAST. Conflicting advice may be because providers aren't familiar with the most current recommendations.

Both my wife and I follow brain damage (anything brain related and recovery) as our son has brain injury as a result of something prior to birth (that something is unknown, just one of those unfortunate things).

So one of those things is micro concussions and the lack of symptoms that they show tilll much later in life, pro football players and brain deterioration brought this to the forefront (this open a complete different discussion about body protection being to good in sports).

Kyto diet (medically supervised as there are serious risks involved) is good to help control seizures as it helps the brain repath and heal. He has been on it for 4 years and yes based on our observations it does work (less seizures, reduced anti-seizure medication, increased cognitive ability etc). This is not an easy diet.

Part of concussions is the micro tears they cause in the brain tissue, and the damage both immediate and long term that results. IMHO based more on subjective comparison a kyto diet should help to heal concussion damage both immediate and more importantly long term.

Originally at age 6 it was suggested as a 0g per day carb diet (we didn’t), later it was was suggest as modified ATKINs with 10-12g per day (age 16 that’s when he started) and now with taking MCT oil it’s upped to 20-25g per day (now 20).

Pros, seems to work, improved intelligence, does work to lose weight.

Cons, very costly, requires constrain planning, difficult to keep up calorie count, variaty of diet is limited however it is getting better as my wife is very inventive (hospital after our recipes). Yo-yoing on and off causes seizures (in his case). Easy to lose weight.

If you want more info PM me and we’ll talk privately off line.

Keto was first used for seizures around the early 1900's, but fasting had been described as a treatment for epilepsy in ancient Greece. Everything old is new again. But it really does seem to help with brain function regardless of the cause. Good Luck.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We don't. TBI is a developing field right now and the recommendations are changing FAST. Conflicting advice may be because providers aren't familiar with the most current recommendations.

Keto was first used for seizures around the early 1900's, but fasting had been described as a treatment for epilepsy in ancient Greece. Everything old is new again. But it really does seem to help with brain function regardless of the cause. Good Luck.
Yes we know....during the depression when the harsh decision (at one extremely well known hospital) was made to starve those with the least chance of recover to help those that could, only to discover that starving them produced positive results and recovery....(the short version).

Only recently (last 5-7years) have they determined that it’s not ketogens that help but a secondary byproduct chemical that the body produces is the drug that helps. They can synthesis it but currently there is no delivery method.

So the best and only method is direct delivery thru self production by the your own cells.

Body heal thy self.....

Just for the record, Keto diets can be dangerous, we personally know of one death (a young child) and I have the story of what happened, from both parents , the doctor and nurse involved (first person). Keto can be very hard on the body, if you have underlying conditions it can push you over the edge which is what happened here.

I am an advocate, for the right conditions done safely. Treat it like drug, it can be good or it can be bad.

Used correctly it does more good than harm.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, I can’t remember how long it was exactly but I think after a couple weeks I was allowed to walk but not raise heart rate then a couple more weeks and I was allowed to start raising it as long as I didn’t get a headache. The elliptical was an issue for longer due to balance and falling concerns.

And some version of this protocol is going to be on deck for all future impacts , no?

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And some version of this protocol is going to be on deck for all future impacts , no?

If I have one while I am still recovering, I'm sure it will be. I haven't discussed other future stuff. Too much to deal with right now. Like the essay regarding causation in drag racing and Russian roulette that I'm avoiding. :rolleyes: :cool:

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes we know....

I think @RuleMiHa meant that we don't know the right answer of how to treat TBI, not that we don't know about ketogenic diets helping in things like seizure treatment.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update. I saw my therapist again this week and started discussing strategies to deal with attention issues and memory recall. We also believe that my eye tracking issues may go way back based on symptoms that I had in college that we never figured out.

I've been granted temporary accommodations which include extra time on tests, a note taker (and they are available for the entire semester), and alternate format texts so I've purchased a text to speech software. Today is my first day using it and it's amazing. I've gone through 20 pages way faster than I've been able to read in the past and I feel like I'm actually absorbing what I'm reading. It's amazing and I wish I'd asked for this earlier in the semester.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Subscribed.

I just had a head injury 3/31 as I wrote over in Tahoe thread with minor subarachnoid hemmorage with unconsciousness in snowboard crash that I am amnesiac of the event.

As far as limiting brainwork, I think the piercing headache helps self-pace and takes care of that issue of usage and stimulation for me

After about 20min, the brain feels like it is overheating and if I read over my work or pugski posts, later I see lots of typos and grammer mistakes I wouldn't have had before. I have a sleep mask that I put on to help rest for 10-15min if it feels over stimulated.

Agree, some things like verbal over text for me may feel more jumbled up over the other and seems slightly new or worse then say immediately after incident as adrenaline is gone and brain is reacting to swelling and so on. . Might be vice-versa for someone else.

O2 I'm at sea level so feeling much better, but in Trauma they did put me on O2 during 1st overnight. This could be unrelated to brain injury and more just the mtn and altitude affects my personal breathing and sleep regardless in the mtns. But they had me on monitors and hooked up and can see my O2 pulse readings dipping so it was metric and evidence based and not just out of the blue.

Last edited:
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@raytseng I'm sorry to hear of your injury. Watch that bleed closely. My aunt actually had a fall skiing recently with a brain bleed that she didn't know about until she started having the severe headaches. They ended up doing surgery and apparently things got a bit exciting when they got to where the bleed was. She is much better now but still very fatigued. Hers happened in January as well so she and I have been 2 peas in a pod. If your headaches don't start subsiding get checked again.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
thank you, yes I have followup with PCP scheduled for this friday (tomorrow) and I assume they will followup more after as needed.

At Reno, there was a neuro consult in Trauma who looked at CT and due to very minor size in imaging did not feel surgery needed,
All in all, I was still most alert and healthiest person in ICU, given the severity of typical ICU injuries of car crashes and so on with ppl in coma and not like me walking around and talking and watching warriors game. Gratefull for that

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
funniest thing is because I came to, as they loaded me into the ambulance, they asked do you want to go to the hospital even though I suffered injury with unconsious for perhaps 20-30min.

I suppose it's an indictment of our health care system, that without medical insurance, even an overnight of observation and some scans can financially ruin you; and they give you the choice to opt out.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@raytseng so sorry to hear about your injury. Keep posting! Well, that is, as long as it doesn't mess up your healing, of course.

What happened in that snowboard accident? Oh wait, you can't remember. It must have been a doozy.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@raytseng so sorry to hear about your injury. Keep posting! Well, that is, as long as it doesn't mess up your healing, of course.

What happened in that snowboard accident? Oh wait, you can't remember. It must have been a doozy.

here was my post, and LouD said he saw me getting carted off and posted pictures of where I was definitely in a gentle begineers area and not extreme area as I'm only ability3 snowboarder and just was practicing learning, but did successfully do hotwheels without falling just 10min prior, so 2nd run on something I was able to do already
I will have to get in touch with Patrol some time down the line to see if they have anything else in incident report. Good chance it was me faceplanting, but always a chane BigFoot came out of the woods and knocked me out.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/2018...ons-meetups-thread.11450/page-120#post-347696

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
here was my post, and LouD said he saw me getting carted off and posted pictures of where I was definitely in a gentle area and not extreme area as I'm only ability3 snowboarder and just was practicing learning.
I will have to get in touch with Patrol some time down the line to see if they have anything else in incident report. Good chance it was me faceplanting, but always a chane BigFoot came and knocked me out.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/2018...ons-meetups-thread.11450/page-120#post-347696

Here foward I’d go with the bigfoot thing...

In all seriousness I’m glsd you’re ok.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:roflmao:yes, after I am recovered and looking back, I need a better story to tell other than then I faceplanted snowboarding in the beginners area and KO-ed myself out.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
here was my post, and LouD said he saw me getting carted off and posted pictures of where I was definitely in a gentle begineers area and not extreme area as I'm only ability3 snowboarder and just was practicing learning, but did successfully do hotwheels without falling just 10min prior, so 2nd run on something I was able to do already
I will have to get in touch with Patrol some time down the line to see if they have anything else in incident report. Good chance it was me faceplanting, but always a chane BigFoot came out of the woods and knocked me out.

From what you posted in the other thread my money would be on a solo slam. You go down suddenly and fast when learning on a board. Even when I was far from a novice boarder I had a memory loss slam while riding in Argentina once. Riding slope that was pretty icy. Next thing "woke up" drinking a hot chocolate in a hut. Had operated on autopilot in between clearly or lost the memory of what happened in between for 10 or so minutes.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
agree. that was my first thought as well to blame myself. the only bogey is that I've done that run 2 times already without falls, including the flats, and actually was progressed to kangaroo under lessons, so had the tips and skill drills to get linked turns, but could be wrong esp. in the flat trying to keep up speed.