• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Would give up soft snow performance, "rocker" , "loosenes", and "slarvey", don't compute. I value precision, edge-hold, and stability.

n black

Booting up
Skier
80% of the time I'm on a ski is a fat (110 underfoot), short and turny ski that plays well almost anywhere. Floatation, ability to blast through chop and *easily* maneuver through trees is what I'm generally after. They also happen to do surprisingly well in bumps, and will actually carve at speed reasonably well on anything but the very iciest conditions. I've run them in beer-league gates, for the fun of it, and the did surprisingly well (maybe that's the beer talking, though.)

I do have a pair of true trench-digging, carving skis (cheater GS boards) that I'll take out for those days where nothing else is left to explore on the fat boards. Lots of grins to be had there.

So, which would I give up? As much as the former racer in me hates to say it, I'd give up the racy carving ski. It's just too specialized of a weapon. In contrast, under no circumstances would I give up a ski that works well for a true steep and deep powder day.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
80% of the time I'm on a ski is a fat (110 underfoot), short and turny ski that plays well almost anywhere. Floatation, ability to blast through chop and *easily* maneuver through trees is what I'm generally after. They also happen to do surprisingly well in bumps, and will actually carve at speed reasonably well on anything but the very iciest conditions. I've run them in beer-league gates, for the fun of it, and the did surprisingly well (maybe that's the beer talking, though.)

I do have a pair of true trench-digging, carving skis (cheater GS boards) that I'll take out for those days where nothing else is left to explore on the fat boards. Lots of grins to be had there.

:yeah:.......that’s what I like to hear.
My brotha from another motha!

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
I currently have 2 skis, and 1 of which I haven't even skied yet so I sacrifice a lot. I will give up untracked pow performance in favor of something with some edge grip. Like my 188 Rossi soul 7's. I have probably about 60 days by now on them in every possible condition Utah can give me and very few times do I feel I need something else to have fun.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I really want to take out a pair of Heli Guides but the bases have delaminated considerably. They'd need to have the bases come off, be cleared of rust and grime and relaminated. Anyone have a press?

View attachment 36650

need more than just a press. need new mold; if new bases and edges than need template or CNC cut out..... this is almost like build ski.
if you do prep you mentioned, and clamp bases back could work without press

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @mishka . The Fulham is along the edges only. I figured peel the base off in one piece, clean base of ski and ptex, then clue back on. I presume I should attempt to keep the camber in the ski while gluing other wise I could just put then base to base and clamp them flat to each other.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Thanks @mishka . The Fulham is along the edges only. I figured peel the base off in one piece, clean base of ski and ptex, then clue back on. I presume I should attempt to keep the camber in the ski while gluing other wise I could just put then base to base and clamp them flat to each other.

p-tex need to have flame treatment for adhesion and preferably ski specific epoxy. I wouldn't clamp ski to ski but do one at a time. You will need a lot of clamps.
Anyway this is OT for this thread .....let me know in PM when you're ready. I'll try to help you

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
p-tex need to have flame treatment for adhesion and preferably ski specific epoxy. I wouldn't clamp ski to ski but do one at a time. You will need a lot of clamps.
Anyway this is OT for this thread .....let me know in PM when you're ready. I'll try to help you

I wouldn't mind getting the skis back into skiable shape as they are fairly unique but I'm probably not going to try it. My posts were more of a mental exercise. </thread drift>

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I'll give up rock solid high speed stability in favor of playfulness. I can ski a noodlish ski 'bout as fast as I want better than I can make burly ski leap and bound.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
This topic goes right to my biggest pet peeve when it comes to ski reviews. Unless you're looking at dedicated race or powder ski, you're going to see a review that says the ski is "a quiver of one" or that it 'handles the powder well but can still carve a turn on groomers.' 80% of ski reviews say something like this. I understand the hedge. Modern skis can be serviceable under a range of conditions and reviewers and salesman want to sell product. But when 80% of ski reviews are, at their core, nearly identical, you're left with very little helpful information.

I'll say another thing. I have a friend who skis beautifully. She will rent whatever skis they have at a mountain rental shop...essentially the same skis they're handing out to the people who have never skied before. Does she own a pair of high end skis? Yes. But she rents this lower end equipment and skis beautifully anyway. I really think that unless you're at the true limits of the equipment, you can ski most of the day on just about any type of ski.

Still, I'm stuck with 2 pairs because one is alpine and the other is set up for tele.So what won't I give up? I ski in VT so I can't give up hard-packed, on-piste performance. My current alpine skis are all mountain but I've gone with race and on-piste carving skis in the past. I like the flexibility of all mountain and find that modern all mountain skis can carve pretty nicely even on the hard stuff as long as the waist isn't too fat. I'm willing to give up super-floaty powder skis...especially when my 80mm all mountains are much wider than what I skied in powder 20 years ago. For the teles, I get a touring-oriented ski for the days I go uphill...gives up some performance for weight savings.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll give up rock solid high speed stability in favor of playfulness. I can ski a noodlish ski 'bout as fast as I want better than I can make burly ski leap and bound.
6513606_orig.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I really think that unless you're at the true limits of the equipment, you can ski most of the day on just about any type of ski.
While true, it is not the complete story. It's can be more work, the person might hate it even though their skiing looks good, it may infuence how they ski. The sensations/feedback might be awful. Outside observer wouldn't know.

Dull skis for example, youre not going to commit to being way inside the turn with your feet way out. You just can't. So that changes how you ski.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd give up float as in most deep conditions I can have fun on just about any ski, if the deep stuff is crap, wet etc. I'll go to the front side.
I like speed so stability is a must as is edge hold.

One thing I will never ever compromise on is my tune. A great tune can turn a so-so pair of boards into fun as fast as a bad tune can turn an elite pair of skis into wall art.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have skied 28 days this season, and apart from a couple of short demos, they have been on 2 pairs of skis: one resort, and one for touring.

My resort ski is 98 at the waist, and the touring ski is 102...both have similar dimensions and shape.

I guess I compromise on EVERYTHING for a ski that will be somewhat capable in most conditions.

I'll start building a quiver...I actually have 2 pow skis (Praxis Powder Boards and DPS Wailer 112) that have lost a bit of luster (I guess I like a more traditional shape in the long run), but I won't sacrifice my skiing budget for my ski budget. I'll follow the snow a bit and buy lift tickets/stay at motels before buying new gear.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Easy: NGT. I have no interest in the top sheet. Other than the graphics not being embarrassing (to me).

Next is float. In 70ish ski days, I think I skied powder once, and wet powder twice. For a few laps before it turned into crud.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Powder skis....or anything wider than 90....if I get powder here in the mid-west it's a treat and one that can easily be handled on my SR 88's, thank you Scott @dawgcatching, for such a sweet ride!!!!!.....Had some freshies at Breck last week and the 88 underfoot handled the snow and the crud superbly. Wish I could be in a land where I required a 90+ underfoot as daily drivers........am stuck left dreaming!!!!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We don't really give up anything, just practice frugality when we can. We live cheaply in an old, too small duplex so we have weekends free to play and the money to do it. We have access to ski discounts so aside from places where we have passes we never pay full price for a lift ticket. We use our discounts to eat at our mountains and we share lunches. We're deal hunters when it comes to skis and just in general never pay full price for anything. Stuff like that.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
.....I'm willing to give up super-floaty powder skis...especially when my 80mm all mountains are much wider than what I skied in powder 20 years ago......
That so true, the skis I learned on 30+ years ago were toothpicks and yet they had to be all mountain, deep powder or packed ice! Any parabolic ski today with even 78mm+ underfoot would've been called a "fat ski" in those days lol!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm willing to give up good gear for me, so the family can have better equipment.

This year was suppose to be boots for me, nope. There is always next year. :)

Sponsor

Staff online