• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First off bases drying out is an issue,. Dry bases feel rough and get stringy which impacts ski performance. Over time this will damage your skis. This is the reason you should always put on storage wax at the end of the season.

I've never done storage wax and never had a problem. From what I read, bases drying out is not an issue for everyone. A lot of folks say storage wax is pointless. I wonder if it's ski specific, usage specific, weather specific, or if I'm just not attuned to it and don't get bothered by it. (I've also only owned my own skis for a few seasons, so don't have tons of experience.) I do keep my skis inside the house in a climate controlled area.

Now for those of you who never wax your skis (which is most skiers) everything I just said doesn't matter because you never waxed your skis to start with. For you a permanent glide treatment is a big step up from where you are today

As I mentioned, the most I've ever had my skis waxed was twice in a season. So for me, I'm thinking I apply phantom, and literally never wax again.

GigaGlide

Born by tribology and nanotech
Pass Pulled
Indeed one doesn't need to wax on top of our products. But you can, especially in competition Permanent Glide is used as a base product. One puts a special starting wax and relies on Permanent Glide

Of course for 99% of the skiers, this has no real use.

Do you need to wax? Nope, but your skis will wear off and get damaged more quickly.
Compare it to getting a massage with or without oil. You will feel the difference :)

Like with all products, if you take care of them, they will last longer and in a better condition.

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I've never done storage wax and never had a problem. From what I read, bases drying out is not an issue for everyone. A lot of folks say storage wax is pointless. I wonder if it's ski specific, usage specific, weather specific, or if I'm just not attuned to it and don't get bothered by it. (I've also only owned my own skis for a few seasons, so don't have tons of experience.) I do keep my skis inside the house in a climate controlled area.

As I mentioned, the most I've ever had my skis waxed was twice in a season. So for me, I'm thinking I apply phantom, and literally never wax again.
So I just got back from 4 days of intense skiing at Mt. Bachelor. We averaged 24-26 miles a day according to my buddies tracking app. I waxed on top of my permanent glide treatment with a temperature specific wax. This lasted for all of one day. Typically on a trip like this I would need to bring my waxing kit and wax every other night. This trip because I had the permanent glide treatment I didn't. By day three I noticed a slight difference in my skis performance compared with the freshly waxed skis, but they still exceed the performance of the Nordica Skis (Enforcer 110) I demoed at Subaru Winterfest that day and those skis had a fresh universal wax.

For those of you who only wax once or twice a season definitely get the permanent glide treatment as it will greatly improve your skis performance, but also consider waxing more often as it will improve your skis performance and help maintain them for the long term. For those like me who enjoy the performance of temperature specific wax I recommend doing so in combination with a permanent glide finish as it will improve performance over longer durations of time or varied conditions.

For those of you who feel that storage wax is not necessary, I would recommend thinking twice. If your bases dry out it will damage them and yes you can brush or grind them to remove that layer that has dried out, but remember you are actually removing a layer of your base. My comparison would be peeling dry skin off your lips instead of using chap stick. It works fine until you run out of layers of skin and your lips start bleeding. The difference between your lips and your skis is that lips will heal, your skis won't.

For those of you who say I don't care about this I buy new skis every year, I say please adopt me and do that for me too :)

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So I just got back from 4 days of intense skiing at Mt. Bachelor. We averaged 24-26 miles a day according to my buddies tracking app. I waxed on top of my permanent glide treatment with a temperature specific wax. This lasted for all of one day. Typically on a trip like this I would need to bring my waxing kit and wax every other night. This trip because I had the permanent glide treatment I didn't. By day three I noticed a slight difference in my skis performance compared with the freshly waxed skis, but they still exceed the performance of the Nordica Skis (Enforcer 110) I demoed at Subaru Winterfest that day and those skis had a fresh universal wax.

For those of you who only wax once or twice a season definitely get the permanent glide treatment as it will greatly improve your skis performance, but also consider waxing more often as it will improve your skis performance and help maintain them for the long term. For those like me who enjoy the performance of temperature specific wax I recommend doing so in combination with a permanent glide finish as it will improve performance over longer durations of time or varied conditions.

For those of you who feel that storage wax is not necessary, I would recommend thinking twice. If your bases dry out it will damage them and yes you can brush or grind them to remove that layer that has dried out, but remember you are actually removing a layer of your base. My comparison would be peeling dry skin off your lips instead of using chap stick. It works fine until you run out of layers of skin and your lips start bleeding. The difference between your lips and your skis is that lips will heal, your skis won't.

For those of you who say I don't care about this I buy new skis every year, I say please adopt me and do that for me too :)

To Mt. Bachelor and no ski a few turns with me? Oh well. I was there everyday.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier

To Mt. Bachelor and no ski a few turns with me? Oh well. I was there everyday.
Sorry Jacques, my bad ... can I blame on snow blindness from all that POW :daffy: Don't worry we will be coming back I and I will definitely hit you up for some turns. What part of the mountain were you skiing?

Jacques

Skier

Sorry Jacques, my bad ... can I blame on snow blindness from all that POW :daffy: Don't worry we will be coming back I and I will definitely hit you up for some turns. What part of the mountain were you skiing?

Mostly at Skyliner, but anywhere will I go. Shoot me a PM if you go again.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Mostly at Skyliner, but anywhere will I go. Shoot me a PM if you go again.
Definitely. We skied all over but spent most of our time on the Summit, Cloud Chaser and Northwest.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'd like to try Permanent Glide.

Question: is there any way to do an adhesive impregnation product?

All the ski builders out there flaming their bases with torches prior to layup would love you...

GigaGlide

Born by tribology and nanotech
Pass Pulled
I'm not 100% sure I 100% follow you...

I know people burn their base, removing PTEX hairs.

And we've been asked if repairs are still possible after treatment with our product, where the answer is yes.
I'd like to try Permanent Glide.

Question: is there any way to do an adhesive impregnation product?

All the ski builders out there flaming their bases with torches prior to layup would love you...

Jacques

Skier
I'm not 100% sure I 100% follow you...

I know people burn their base, removing PTEX hairs.

And we've been asked if repairs are still possible after treatment with our product, where the answer is yes.

The answer is yes! I can't help myself here. Trying to be good and not drift a thread............I can't help myself to share this one as the answer is YES!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
FYI All Gigaglide is back in business, though there is not a lot of detail around their current product offering. I have to imagine it is the same formulation that tested several years back that worked quite well. Looks like they want you to apply it and let it cure for 12 hours. That said very little information on the product or testing they have done on it available through their current website. Their old website had lots of details. For anyone considering Phantom this could be a great alternative.

They also updated their old Kickstarter campaign site

They also now have probably the best marketing photo I have seen in a long time
1647389403656.png

They Caption it "Winter is Here" lol loved GOT but love skiing even more!

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
FWIW, here is what I dug up regarding GigaGlide's prior formulation (yes I know it's in a Phantom thread).

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
We are talking with some distributors at this moment, so you will be able to find our products in the US as soon as possible.

We do have the Permanent Glide in testing packages, but we do not intend it to sell it directly to consumers at this moment.
What we did find out in Europe, that ski shops who are applying it to their rental skis, are helping or selling it to their good customers, ski instructors, ...
Please comment if this would be different in the US market.

As our product cures with air, it is far easier to apply and more dummy proof :ogcool:

This does have one disadvantage: a limitid shelf life of 6 months.
So this is most probably why (perhaps also for patent reasons) that DPS went for the UV solution. This gives the product an unlimited shelf life.
In my opinion they underestimated the UV curing problem a little bit.
You say: We do have the Permanent Glide in testing packages, but we do not intend it to sell it directly to consumers at this moment.
Permanent Glide is what I am interested in. When will you sell it direct to consumers? Also, where will I be able to buy it and what will the price point be? Thanks

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi All,

Skis ground and structured and side by side test complete. Both Phantom and Giga Glide performed very well after the grind. Without have the exact same ski with the two separate treatments side by side it is hard to say which ones truly perform better, but compared to each ski with no wax or the wrong wax, both permanent glide treatments performed better. The aggressive structure also appears to have increased performance as both skis where skiing much faster. With both products I am noticing a greying of my ski base, which is indicative of both oxidation and the base drying out. for that reason alone I am going to continue waxing my skis though not as frequently as before.

Like everyone else the skis have been a little grippy while standing in the lift line, but that goes away once you start moving. My hunch is that you need enough friction to create water under the ski for either treatment to work well. This would also explain why DPS shows Phantom performance increasing in warmer weather.

The big question is which product is better, and that is a tough one as both deliver very similar performance both before and after a grind. Here are my pros and cons for each:

DPS Phantom Pros:
  1. performs as promised
  2. excellent customer support from DPS
  3. readily available for purchase both online and in some stores
Cons:
  1. Time intensive application process
  2. Application process dependent on the weather - you need 6+ hours of direct sunlight
  3. High price point - $100 per application
Giga Glide Permanent Pros:
  1. Performs as promised
  2. Very simple application process - application takes 2-3 min once ski is prepped and then 24 hours to cure with no outside dependencies
  3. Reasonable price point - they claim around $10-15 per set of skis
Cons
  1. No US distribution so very hard to buy
  2. Targeted at ski shops not consumers - They want professionals applying this and using a stone grinder before and after to deliver the best results so do not have a consumer product for Giga Glide Permanent or consumer customer support - that said they were very helpful and engaging when I reached out to them, but can that scale?
Bottom line is that if you know what your are doing either of these products will deliver excellent results and can easily be applied at home. Both products claim to harden your ski base and according to Giga Glide their product will help the base better accept wax should you chose to wax. For those of you who apply these treatments make sure you also put in a nice structure on your base as that makes a huge difference to their performance.

On a personal note I really preferred the application process for Giga Glide as compared to Phantom as it was quick and easy with little room for error and no weather dependencies. As you may recall my first attempt to apply Phantom did not go well due to weak sun in Seattle, but DPS customer support was amazing and made things right very quickly as they have done for several other folks who had challenges with the application process. DPS is working on an indoor solution for curing Phantom which I think will be key to its long term success. I still have 2 phantom applications left and plan to apply them to skis this summer when it is nice and sunny ogsmile In the mean time I am going to ski the heck out of my skis to see how both applications hold up over the season. I have also applied treatments to my wife and older kids' skis (so 5 pairs total) and will track their feedback too.
I looked at the link you provided and the Pro Version (whatever that is) Is $69 not $10-15 per pair of skis. I am a tad confused as to what to buy if/when I can buy it. Any clarification?

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I looked at the link you provided and the Pro Version (whatever that is) Is $69 not $10-15 per pair of skis. I am a tad confused as to what to buy if/when I can buy it. Any clarification?
I experimented with both Phantom and Gigaglide (at the time called Juice, then Nano Glide and now Gigaglide) over 4 years ago and wrote up my review. Shortly after the company went out of business and the product disappeared or so we thought. Yesterday I was at my local ski shop and they had it on the shelf and I checked and they had a new website up and running and had also completely re-done their old kickstarter webpage too. So to be clear I have no clue if the product I tested 4 years ago is the same product they are selling today. There website has little to no detail on the product itself and all their online videos are in German. With this in mind please do not purchase based on my old product review as I have no idea if this is the same product they are selling today.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I experimented with both Phantom and Gigaglide (at the time called Juice, then Nano Glide and now Gigaglide) over 4 years ago and wrote up my review. Shortly after the company went out of business and the product disappeared or so we thought. Yesterday I was at my local ski shop and they had it on the shelf and I checked and they had a new website up and running and had also completely re-done their old kickstarter webpage too. So to be clear I have no clue if the product I tested 4 years ago is the same product they are selling today. There website has little to no detail on the product itself and all their online videos are in German. With this in mind please do not purchase based on my old product review as I have no idea if this is the same product they are selling today.
Thanks for the info

Sponsor