• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparing Latitude and Elevation at Western US Resorts

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
At some point I was exposed to the idea that every degree of latitude is roughly equivalent to 500 feet of elevation (at least within the western US). I wish I could remember who this came from so I could properly attribute the idea. But going with this assumption, I put together a list of ski area elevations adjusted to match elevations along 40 degrees north latitude, in order to try facilitating a more direct comparison.

Obviously there's more that goes into climate than just latitude and elevation, but by and large this seems like a pretty accurate. Although I'm a little surprised that Mammoth is as far down the list as it is. What do others think? Useful? Surprising? Does 500 feet per degree seem about right?

*Most elevation data came from here: http://www.wherewevacation.com/ski-resorts-by-elevation.pdf, with a few areas added that I needed to spot-check. Latitude is from Google Maps, with my estimate of roughly the center of each resort.

Attachments

• skilatitude.pdf
    353.6 KB · Views: 56

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm a bit mystified by "I put together a list of ski area elevations adjusted to match elevations along 40 degrees north latitude, in order to try facilitating a more direct comparison." Is your goal to figure out snow quality from one place to another? Season length? Because you've basically moved us up with Colorado here to 11000 feet. (Now, clearly, you'll have much more OXYGEN here than that.) But, as you go higher, the snow is going to be drier as it's just sublimating into the atmosphere instead of getting wetter and packing. We have far drier snow than the coastal regions, but we rarely get the three foot deep dumps that you blast through like feathers. So that chart is really really deceptive in that regard. Our snow staying power might be equivalent, but a lot of that is lack of people and the amount of trees. Snow depth? Um, no, we generally have a deeper base than Big Sky. So I'm not sure what you're trying to go for.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Tony Crocker would be a suitable person to contribute to this discussion but..................

Anyway I think orientation (very much north facing terrain) plays a massive part and it explains why Mammoth has such a long season despite it's latitude.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
He's talking about the difference between pressure altitude and surveyed altitude. The further north or south one goes the same surveyed altitude will show lower air pressure than at the equator. It is a real effect - it is a mountaineering trope that climbs in Alaska are not altitude-comparable to climbs in Himalaya or on African volcanoes.

Common belief is that this phenomenon is primarily caused by Earth's rotation. This belief is wrong. If this belief was correct, calculations would be somewhat simpler.

The problem OP is having is that he is using a fixed rule of thumb to compute the effect, and it gets him in trouble, fast. I'm more a fan of the temperature model as outlined here http://www.cohp.org/ak/notes/pressure_altitude_v6.html

Ski site readers should very definitely note that the effect is greater in summer and that winter-time application of any given rule of thumb is going to be...highly inaccurate.

Yes, I know it's mathsy. If you take away nothing else, take away "the weather will affect how you feel about the altitude". In practical terms, if it's shirtsleeve-warm in Dillon, you'll feel better at the top of the T-bar.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Hmmm...does this explain why the snow in the mid Atlantic or Southeast is...so bad?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
"He's talking about the difference between pressure altitude and surveyed altitude."

I'm not convinced he is. I think he's talking about snow.

But let's assume he is for a second.

You're telling me that our 6800' is for some reason feeling like 11000 feet? Given I've always had altitude issues, how am I even living here? And every discussion of the pros of here vs Colorado involves the lower altitude.

Or are you saying that if one tires to calculate the altitude here using pressure that one will in any season of the month be off by 5000 feet? Because frankly I use an altimeter every day I ski and I don't even think it's capable of a 5000 foot correction. Generally I'm adjusting a few hundred feet every morning (like 245 might be a lot) for pressure fluctuations.

I was confused by the goal of the original post, but now I'm really confused.

And I actually think that the rule of thumb he's trying to remember is concerned with TEMPERATURE. https://sciencing.com/info-8686864-latitude-altitude-affect-temperature.html

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't think the difference is that significant..but yes. Basically, 11k feet in Colorado is similar to 9k feet in Alaska because of various effects, apparently gravity (squished orange earth), coriolis effect, temperature etc. Less oxygen density at higher elevations in northern and southern latitudes. I'd have to read it more in depth but that's the gist.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But let's assume he is for a second.

OK.

You're telling me that our 6800' is for some reason feeling like 11000 feet?

I'm not. I'm saying his rule of thumb computation is erroneous. See above.

Or are you saying that if one tires to calculate the altitude here using pressure that one will in any season of the month be off by 5000 feet?

Nope, I'm not saying that either. I didn't give any correction. I did imply that pressure altitude dependence on latitude basically goes away in winter except when there are huge weather system differences. See above.

Because frankly I use an altimeter every day I ski and I don't even think it's capable of a 5000 foot correction. Generally I'm adjusting a few hundred feet every morning (like 245 might be a lot) for pressure fluctuations.

Good. I was implying above that those pressure fluctuations basically wash out any winter-time latitude dependent effect.

And I actually think that the rule of thumb he's trying to remember is concerned with TEMPERATURE.

and I'm saying that TEMPERATURE is the cause of the altitude correction that scales with latitude.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My observations are that (generally speaking, because there are all kinds of microclimates around mountains), 300 miles of change in latitude is roughly equivalent to 1000’ in elevation change.

So, where I ski at Stevens Pass, latitude 47* N (plus some change) at an altitude of 4061’, is similar to Lake Tahoe at 39*N at an altitude of 6225’, roughly 700 miles as the crow flies. Similar snow quality and density, in any event.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
So in a nut shell, you're trying to use your chart to tease out snow quality.

But oddly ending up, not with Utah at the top, but Big Sky? Umm.. Well I personally agree it's better here (or at Big Sky if I must) for various reasons, but I'm not sure that you're going to get anyone else to agree that Utah should be so far down the list. Because popular thought is that lighter is better.

Screen shot of partial list for easier viewing.
Screenshot_20180531-155011~2.png

My observations are that (generally speaking, because there are all kinds of microclimates around mountains), 300 miles of change in latitude is roughly equivalent to 1000’ in elevation change.

So, where I ski at Stevens Pass, latitude 47* N (plus some change) at an altitude of 4061’, is similar to Lake Tahoe at 39*N at an altitude of 6225’, roughly 700 miles as the crow flies. Similar snow quality and density, in any event.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
In thinking about your goal, maybe don't call those numbers normalized altitude going forward, but "points". Now apply a penalty for closeness to the ocean. Because that might swing Utah higher and penalize some of the places impacted by the snow not drying out like it does as it gets further from the coast.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I've heard a similar rule of thumb (don't know if it was exactly the same number) in the context of the change in the types of vegetation as you go up the mountain.

The point is not to use it as a complete proxy for snow quality -- snow itself is a pretty good measure of snow -- but rather as insight into the balance between being located more to the North and being higher.

If you want to go beyond, "hey this is a cool observation" the next step would be to grade the actual snow quality of each ski area as better or worse than implied by its normalized altitude.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, maritime snow, such as the PNW and the Sierras, is very different in moisture content than snow at a similar latitude, similar altitude location in the Rockies or intermountain west.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Maybe cheat on determining that number... Figure out the number you need to move Alta to the top. Then measure the distance of Alta to the coast. Use that relationship against all the coastal distance numbers and see what you get. Just spit balling here...

If you don't have another app for that, this might help. Distance from Alta to Female, CA is 663 miles. Distance for Big Sky to Pacific City, OR, is 616. There might be better tools, tho.

Last edited:
TS
N

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess it's officially summer. :cool:

Yep, you figured out my secret motive! Although it's a chilly gray summer day here in Portland... making random ski musings even more attractive :)

Is your goal to figure out snow quality from one place to another? Season length? Because you've basically moved us up with Colorado here to 11000 feet. (Now, clearly, you'll have much more OXYGEN here than that.) But, as you go higher, the snow is going to be drier as it's just sublimating into the atmosphere instead of getting wetter and packing. We have far drier snow than the coastal regions, but we rarely get the three foot deep dumps that you blast through like feathers. So that chart is really really deceptive in that regard. Our snow staying power might be equivalent, but a lot of that is lack of people and the amount of trees. Snow depth? Um, no, we generally have a deeper base than Big Sky. So I'm not sure what you're trying to go for.

All valid thoughts. And I suppose I didn't so much have a clear idea of what I was trying to measure as curious about what this might reveal. And maybe part of that is a comeback to "Whitefish? No thanks, the summit's not even 7k." We can respond with "Yeah, but it's the equivalent of over 11k in Colorado."

Tony Crocker would be a suitable person to contribute to this discussion but..................

Anyway I think orientation (very much north facing terrain) plays a massive part and it explains why Mammoth has such a long season despite it's latitude.
@TonyC would love this topic....

Agreed. Re: Mammoth, the north-facing terrain matters a lot, and so does its anomalously-favored topography (snow funnels in there, much like at Wolf Creek, which would be #26 on this list).

He's talking about the difference between pressure altitude and surveyed altitude. The further north or south one goes the same surveyed altitude will show lower air pressure than at the equator. It is a real effect - it is a mountaineering trope that climbs in Alaska are not altitude-comparable to climbs in Himalaya or on African volcanoes....

That's interesting, something I hadn't realized, and contributes at least a bit. But I think the lower-angle sunlight at higher latitudes is a much bigger contributer to temperature differences.

And I actually think that the rule of thumb he's trying to remember is concerned with TEMPERATURE. https://sciencing.com/info-8686864-latitude-altitude-affect-temperature.html

Agreed. Temperature is the variable most directly influenced by the conjunction of altitude and latitude, I think. Of course, comparing average temperatures will only get you so far re: ski quality, but it's something.

I created a new tab on the spreadsheet (https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ag3jxxfR7xEGjJxJSdPmbCAZrEPnTQ for anyone who wants to play with it) using this 1000' per 300 miles metric. Interestingly, this makes Stevens Pass show up below all the Tahoe resorts (using 500' per degree put it above all the Tahoe resorts). Maybe a number somewhere between these two is appropriate, at least for the Stevens Pass - Tahoe comparison?

So in a nut shell, you're trying to use your chart to tease out snow quality.

But oddly ending up, not with Utah at the top, but Big Sky? Umm.. Well I personally agree it's better here (or at Big Sky if I must) for various reasons, but I'm not sure that you're going to get anyone else to agree that Utah should be so far down the list. Because popular thought is that lighter is better.

Screen shot of partial list for easier viewing.

Good call on the screenshot... I was trying to get the table to show in the post, but I didn't manage to think of such a brilliantly simple solution :)

But... Colorado's (and probably Big Sky's) snow is lighter than Utah's. Jim Steenburgh has made that point repeatedly in his book and blog. Colder temperatures (Colorado, Big Sky, Jackson/Targhee) likely make for better snow durability, particularly as it gets later in spring. They're also somewhat correlated to lower rain chance, although above some level (maybe 8,000' or so at 40 degrees north?) rain isn't much of a concern.

In thinking about your goal, maybe don't call those numbers normalized altitude going forward, but "points". Now apply a penalty for closeness to the ocean. Because that might swing Utah higher and penalize some of the places impacted by the snow not drying out like it does as it gets further from the coast.

Except that snow quantity is a very important component in overall snow quality, and quantity generally increases with proximity to the Pacific. Penalizing proximity to the ocean would push the scores up for Colorado and Jackson/Targhee, while significantly lowering it for Tahoe/Mammoth/Bachelor. That seems less accurate to my eye.

I've heard a similar rule of thumb (don't know if it was exactly the same number) in the context of the change in the types of vegetation as you go up the mountain.

The point is not to use it as a complete proxy for snow quality -- snow itself is a pretty good measure of snow -- but rather as insight into the balance between being located more to the North and being higher.

If you want to go beyond, "hey this is a cool observation" the next step would be to grade the actual snow quality of each ski area as better or worse than implied by its normalized altitude.

Agreed. And I'm not in the market to try to put together a better ZRankings, but someone certainly could :)

Maybe add distance to the ocean to the points so far? Or some fraction thereof? You can't just use longitude since the coast moves around.
Maybe cheat on determining that number... Figure out the number you need to move Alta to the top. Then measure the distance of Alta to the coast. Use that relationship against all the coastal distance numbers and see what you get. Just spit balling here...

If you don't have another app for that, this might help. Distance from Alta to Female, CA is 663 miles. Distance for Big Sky to Pacific City, OR, is 616. There might be better tools, tho.

Yep, further spitballing… I think proximity to the ocean would be a good penalty if the overall metric also factored in average snowfall. Together with the altitude/latitude data, those factors seem like they could be balanced to move Alta, Snowbird, and Grand Targhee up close to the top, at least.

Sponsor

Staff online