• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Compare IKON vs Mountain Collective

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos is trying to make it up to the season pass holders by keeping the same price as this season. This season, they also lower the non holiday ski week price for season pass holders to $110.
Taos early season pass prices usually hold until 10/01.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My take is that the mountain collecitve is a much better name than the ikon pass. The ikon sounds like I am buying a pass to a discount movie theater or maybe a car wash season pass. The mountain collecitve makes it sounds like I am gonna go to the mountains to collect stuff, which is potentially much cooler.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My take is that the mountain collecitve is a much better name than the ikon pass. The ikon sounds like I am buying a pass to a discount movie theater or maybe a car wash season pass. The mountain collecitve makes it sounds like I am gonna go to the mountains to collect stuff, which is potentially much cooler.

^^^ Which begs the question: What's in a name?

The important names are the resort names and the important number is not necessarily the price but the number of included days.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@DanoT These passes are just wrappers for an aggregation of ski days at other places. Its pure branding. If the name doesnt tell me this is a skiing product, do people even try to find out what it inside? Many probably dont.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
@DanoT These passes are just wrappers for an aggregation of ski days at other places. Its pure branding. If the name doesnt tell me this is a skiing product, do people even try to find out what it inside? Many probably dont.

Interesting side note here. Yesterday I called an Aspen condo that was on the MCP last season and asked if they were going to be on the MCP for the 2018-19 season and they were very happy to report that they were.

She was completely unaware of the Ikon Pass. I really hope she was a new employee.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I'm late to the party...but what happened to all the eastern places that were on last year's MAX pass? Whiteface, Gore, Okemo (ok, Epic), Windham, Tremblant...?
As someone else has said, the passes this year screw the easterners here. I skied 5 at Okemo, 5 at Stratton, 5 at Whiteface in addition to my western swing. Now all I get is Stratton.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some new, some old, some gone. The only constant in life is change.

Ikon Pass.

UNLIMITED ACCESS:

Mammoth, Steambot, Stratton, Squaw Valley, Alppine Meadow, Tremblant, Winter Park, Big Bear, Copper Mountain, Snowshoe, June Mountain, Eldora, Blue Mountain.

LIMITED ACCESS, NO BLACKOUTS:

Mountain: Deer Valley (UT), AltaSnowbird (UT), Jackson Hole (WY), Big Sky Resort (MT), Aspen Snowmass (CO)
Canada: Revelstoke, (BC), SkiBig3, (AB)
East: Killington (VT), Sugarbush (VT), Loon Mountain (NH), Sunday River (ME), Sugarloaf (ME)

Ikon Base Pass.

UNLIMITED ACCESS WITH BLACKOUTS:

West: Mammoth Mountain (CA), June Mountain (CA) and Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, CA

LIMITED ACCESS WITH BLACKOUTS:

Mountain: Steamboat, CO, Deer Valley Resort, UT, AltaSnowbird, UT, Aspen Snowmass, CO, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, WY, Big Sky Resort, MT
Canada: Revelstoke Mountain Resort, BC, SkiBig3, AB
East: Stratton, VT, Killington Resort, VT, Sugarbush Resort, VT, Loon Mountain, NH, Sunday River, ME & Sugarloaf, ME

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
To all of the eastern skiers bitching: get used to it. We have been screwed with season passes in the east for as long as I've been skiing. For some reason the western areas have, on average, taken way better care of die hards by offering relatively cheap season passes compared to the east

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To all of the eastern skiers bitching: get used to it. We have been screwed with season passes in the east for as long as I've been skiing. For some reason the western areas have, on average, taken way better care of die hards by offering relatively cheap season passes compared to the east

That's right, Sun Valley is holding firm at less than $2,000 (if purchased early)!

But damn is that place uncrowded!

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Not sure if anyone else has seen it but @SugarCube had the "Food Network" channel on the tube just now and there was and IKON commercial.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And if you are a ‘founding member’ of the Mountain Collective, you might get one of these:

image.jpg

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
And if you are a ‘founding member’ of the Mountain Collective, you might get one of these:

View attachment 42525

Yup, I got one too.

Somewhat troubling when the box showed up with Big Truck labeling on it. I was thinking "when did I buy something through Amazon or Ebay from them?" Wouldn't be the first time I've bought something and forgot about it (curse you, one click shopping!).

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pulled the golden trigger. I got I konned. Kon artists!

Me too!... I just got tired of thinking about which pass(es) would yield the best value for me, so bought the IKON Base. I will use it for the Big Sky Gathering for sure and a few Tahoe/Mammoth days next week.

But not sure yet how I'll be putting it to use next season...and I don't think I'll equal the amount of value I've gotten from my MCP this year. So far, I'm at 24.93 a day for the MCP having used only the "Free" days at: Squaw/Alpine (1 left), Sugarbush (1 left), Sunshine, Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, I got one too.

Somewhat troubling when the box showed up with Big Truck labeling on it. I was thinking "when did I buy something through Amazon or Ebay from them?" Wouldn't be the first time I've bought something and forgot about it (curse you, one click shopping!).

Exact same thing happened to me! I didn't remember ordering, then decided my daughter had bought something, but no, it was addressed to me...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MCP is interesting for the free Kids pass. I thought of combining it with the Copper season pass(also free for kids), giving 3 days at Powder Mtn and Grand Targhee as well as Copper. Then you could easily do a 8 day trip in SLC, and one in CO and a week long one in Jackson hole/Targhee/Big Sky.

But, even with the free kids passes, Ikon base is the same price for a family of 4.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Slim note the Copper Pass includes 3 free days at Taos, Monarch, and Purgatory as well as Powder Mtn and Grand Targhee (with lodging). At $459 and free kids (5-12) that's a good option for a family on a budget!

VinceF

Booting up
Skier
I skied 16 days on the MC this season at ~$39/day!

Pass cost ($400)
5 days in Banff ($40)
4 days at Jackson ($130)
5 days at AltaBird ($50)
2 days at Revelstoke ($0)
Total $620/16 days = $38.75/day

Granted, I also paid full price 5 days at Big Sky, 1 day at Targhee, and 1 day at Kicking Horse, but just using the pass I made out like a bandit!

So, what pass are you leaning toward this year? If you skied the exact same days, the IKON Base Pass is cheaper as it also includes 5 days @ Big Sky.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
So, what pass are you leaning toward this year? If you skied the exact same days, the IKON Base Pass is cheaper as it also includes 5 days @ Big Sky.

I bought Ikon base. Hoping to get to CO this year (if the snow's better) and it's been a few years since I've been to Steamboat or Winter Park. Likely going to head back to Big Sky and probably Jackson. Banff has slowly started to become one of my favorite places to ski, so we'll see what they get next year as well. I really planning on doing a lot more late booking, quasi-powder chasing than I have in the past. We'll see how that goes.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm glad to have made the right choice with the Ikon Base purchase. I've already used it for 6 days at Squaw/Alpine this Spring....Will probably be back to end my season there in a few weeks. Let's hope the snow holds up!

k

Sponsor