• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Communications Setup

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can anyone recommend a two-way radio / gadget or walkie talkie type device for three or four people to communicate while skiing, sailing or biking in remote areas?

Something that is not cumbersome / heavy and is fairly straight forward to use. Probably don’t need more than a few miles of range.

Looking for something to replace the cell phone in these situations where coverage is spotty at best and whipping out the cell phone and texting is not always easy.

Thanks!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I heard rumors that Alterra is putting cellular boosters in at DV to enhance coverage, something along the lines of 5G type speed/technology

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s been a while since we used them but in my family we just used the small rechargeable Motorola walkie talkies. They aways worked great for us, were light to carry and were cheap. We always used them on our western trips to Vail, Breck and Keystone. Ours has lasted forever and still work, we just haven’t had the need in a while

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It’s been a while since we used them but in my family we just used the small rechargeable Motorola walkie talkies. They aways worked great for us, were light to carry and were cheap. We always used them on our western trips to Vail, Breck and Keystone. Ours has lasted forever and still work, we just haven’t had the need in a while

We have used those too, and recently don't. Ours are 12mile rated and they are mostly OK except for cross-mountain situations, like when spread across multiple peaks at Keystone (tested) or across the ridge at Snowbird (tested) or split up at Sugarbush (tested).

I am drifting into believing I want a pair of moto Bluetooth 3 extenders like the Sena Expand and Expand 02, just for the less- annoying access. I think with our current skiing situation we could do with only a half-mile range and the 4 round-robin companions would be cool.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m sure for the price the Motorolas have their limitations. The only issue we ever had was at Vail if we were at the base area on the front side and the other user was on the bottom of the backside in the bowl areas.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I get that phones aren't ideal for on mountain communications. We tried to use Motorola MicroTalks and other incarnations of unregulated 2-ways. Quite a few annoyances from the channel getting changed in the pocket to excuses that not easy to use with gloves on and not wanting to drop gloves or radios from lifts. Eventually even added the handset mikes clipped to jackets like ski patrol use. In the end it was just overkill and just agreeing on designated meet up times and places was way easier., If you get delayed making it to the meet up then pull to the side of the trail wherever you are or when you get off the lift and get your phone out because the folks waiting on you will have theirs out at that time.

Also, even the best private use walkies rated for 25 miles still kind of suck in the mountains when line of sight is blocked between the radios trying to communicate. If you're opposite side of the mountain instead of across the valley from the others they don't work well at all.

This is the first season in 10 years of trying different combinations and brands I've given up carrying one and requiring the kids to carry a radio.. Was never totally happy with any of the options we tried. But, extra piece of mind with younger kids was kinda worth trying to make it work.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bought the Motorola T605s. Should do the job.

Great-you will be happy with them. Just like us they will serve your needs 95% of the time as nothing's perfect. One certainty is if you drop 1 from the lift or lose it you will be 100% happy it wasn’t your cellphone.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great-you will be happy with them. Just like us they will serve your needs 95% of the time as nothing's perfect. One certainty is if you drop 1 from the lift or lose it you will be 100% happy it wasn’t your cellphone.

Exactly! Be it out on the water or on the mountain easier and cheaper to use these than a $1,000 iPhone. Its also the hassle of having to get a new phone that I want to avoid.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Exactly! Be it out on the water or on the mountain easier and cheaper to use these than a $1,000 iPhone. Its also the hassle of having to get a new phone that I want to avoid.

Believe it or not we’ve even used ours while driving on trips in 2 separate cars. Easier to hit a button and talk to the driver in front or behind you than ringing the cell.

Sponsor