• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Communication on internet forums ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just saw this XKCD, and it resonated ... mostly because of my own blunders ...

misinterpretation.png

Hover text: "But there are seven billion people in the world! I can't possibly stop to consider how ALL of them might interpret something!" "Ah, yes, there's no middle ground between 'taking personal responsibility for the thoughts and feelings of every single person on Earth' and 'covering your eyes and ears and yelling logically correct statements into the void.' That's a very insightful point and not at all inane."

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Communication in general is hard.

perfectexplination.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
interpretation is irrelevant. whats right is right because its right, and whats wrong is wrong because its wrong.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
"A lack of understanding on your part does not constitute any inadequacy on my part."

"I know I piss you off from time to time. Please know I'm working on that" ;-)

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"People are mad at me again because they don't read carefully."

Have to confess I so so so SO relate to that. Josh and you too, I suspect.

After all, if I didn't want to take the time to write what I mean and mean what I write, I'd just f-ing TALK with people. But we all know how imprecise THAT can be. Jeez, what a cluster conversation is. So little space for polish and revision. Remember that horrible period in human history when mail order effectively became phone order and you had to talk with a human to get your stuff? Thank God e-commerce came along!

Anyway, Yes. It took me a half hour to write those four sentences. The least you can do is take four minutes rather than four seconds to read them!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And yet here we all are and, as far as I can tell, everybody still likes everybody else. When it comes to communication, a
Unknown.jpeg
sense of humor helps, I think.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So does defining an audience and using one's knowledge of that audience to (intentionally) write to their understanding.

Which, of course, is the middle ground ironically referred to in the hover of the original cartoon.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
:popcorn:

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Still one of my favorites.

I thought about posting this in the spelling/grammar thread, but it seemed like a different topic ...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I thought about posting this in the spelling/grammar thread, but it seemed like a different topic ...

Taking it back to the original topic, and possibly way beyond, did you spot this over the weekend? The links within the first two paragraphs could all offshoot from this thread.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Taking it back to the original topic, and possibly way beyond, did you spot this over the weekend? The links within the first two paragraphs could all offshoot from this thread.

In a head-hurty kind of way!